First pico attempt (pictures) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First pico attempt (pictures)

I just put together my first pico, feel free to offer opinions
Here are some pictures of the tank immediately after setup:

I'm going to try to coax the Bacopa to grow horizontally along the gravel into a carpet (some stems were already starting to grow this way when I purchased the bunch) over time. There are no living critters in the tank so far. I believe 1g is too small for fish, but may add one or two small Amano shrimp if algae starts to grow.

Specs:
Size - 1g 6.5" x 6.5" x 6.5" cube vase
Lighting - 13W PC desk lamp (4100K 2-pin bulb)
Filtration - Red Sea nano filter
Substrate - Hagen Geosystems fine gravel
Decoration - Hagen Geosystems polyresin driftwood
Plants - Anubias barteri var. nana, Bacopa australis
Fertilization - Flourish Excel, homemade mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:53 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
oooooooohhhhh! Where'd you get that cool cube??? I WANT one! Very nifty little tank.

My betta lives quite happily in her new 1 gal tank--I just posted a pic as "Purple Nano"

Fig
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
yeah more info on the cube!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky
I'm going to try to coax the Bacopa to grow horizontally along the gravel into a carpet (some stems were already starting to grow this way when I purchased the bunch) over time.
If you plant the stems at a diagonal (i.e... 45 instead of 90 to the gravel), they should naturally send out more roots downwards, and shoots from the stem upwards. Once they have some roots, gently placing the stem just on the gravel should secure it in place for horizontal growth.

You can see this effect happening in my tank...

The blue circle shows Hygrophila polysperma, and the red; Rotala indica, both showing horizontal growth.

By the way, nice looking tank.

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

That is a beautiful container. Looks like something from pottery barn or a specialty flower shop. Much more attractive than the little aquavases .75 gallon kits. nicely done.

I am running a VERY similar pico with a one gallon hexafun plastic tank including a 13watt PC light, Red Sea nano filter and flourish excel. (Sound familiar? hehe.)

Very challenging, constantly fighting for a balance. I just pulled out every plant in order to clip off all the BGA. I dont mind the green spot algea on the sides, but the BGA was destroying my H.C. How long has your tank been running?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Stu, thanks for the tip! Some of the stems were starting to grow horizontally when I took the plant out of its pot, and I've tried to encourage others to lay along the gravel or at an angle. I've started seeing roots on some of the stems, and when they're long enough I'll place them in the gravel. I figure it may take a little while, but eventually it should look really nice.
More about the cube, let's see...
It's a glass vase. I contemplated using a little plexi tank/container, but there's something about glass I find really appealing - it feels somehow warmer than plastic. I found a nice flower shop, went in and described what I was looking for, and they found it in a vase catalogue and special ordered it. I like the shape of the glass, the way it's bowed on the inside. It makes the cube more interesting to look at, but doesn't distort the view at all (after all, it's designed to show off the stems in flower arrangements). It wasn't cheap, but I'm very happy with it. The florist was really excited when he heard what I was going to do with it - maybe he'll have to start a pico of his own!
[edit]Osteomata, your tank sounds just like mine! This one was just set up a week ago. I can imagine it's going to be hard to keep it balanced, especially since neither of the plants I'm using are fast-growing. In my other tanks, the key to balance always seems to be loads of nutrient hogs - my 14g is mostly Crypts, and I'm constantly fighting off hair algae even though the NO3:PO4 ratio and CO2 are at similar levels.[/edit]
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

One thing I should mention.... You might need to hold the stems down against the gravel for a little while to allow the roots to take hold. This can be done with either small sections of weights of a few pebbles.

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 01:28 PM

Blinky,

I so agree with you on glass. Despite the light weight and convenience of plastic tanks, I don't like them as well-- they just never seem as pristine clear. Maybe the faint scratches in plastic that happen over time make for that difference...

Looking for Florists now...

Fig
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 06:11 AM
Algae Grower

gr8 start!

This looks a lot like one of mine. I agree, glass is so much nicer than plastic.

I bought the cube @ Wal-mart (I think it was) to hold narcissi bulbs. After they bloomed & faded, put about 1/2" of Seachem Flourite (Red), a small anubias nana sproutling/split-off & strip of millfoil. Later added java moss. Plants grew great (gr8) (or more accurately, too well) just from summer sunlight in that room. At one point I added 5 mini rasbora (mosquitos) till their intended nano "pond" finished cycling. They & the plants seemed to like it with about 40% weekly changes. I then tore it apart. I later built a similar (Wal-mart lilly bulb, anubias nana & java moss but as "carpet") temporary home in this cube for my 3 scarlet badis. I kept it going (even after after moving the badis) till about early Feb (2005).

What I did not like about it...I was not able to find a way to heat it well other than via the room / ambient. So no fish in it during the Fall / Winter.

With your filter (& if you have good room heat), you may want to try keeping a few (3+) mosquito, or exclamation-point, or maybe dwarf-spotted, or ??? rasbora. Mine seem to like small (~1-2.5 gal) instead of 10+ gal tanks.

Best of luck & fun fiddling with it!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 07:35 AM

What's that cube?

I believe it's from Tropica and it's called the aquacube
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:15 AM

i saw some of these for sale in sainsburys a while back i wish i baught one.. i had the idea strait away but didnt bother i wasent as into the picos as i am now.. maybe if they still sell them ill get one.
they was exactly like yours.

it looks wicked!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner Willy
I believe it's from Tropica and it's called the aquacube
I may have missed something, but if you're curious what my cube is, it's just a square vase from a flower shop - it's not an Aquacube.
TommyBoy, I didn't think there were fish that would live happily in a 1g cube - I'll look into those. It's nice to look at, but it would certainly be more interesting with living creatures to compliment the plants
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

If anyone is interested in this type of vase a good place to look for them is a Costplus store. I just picked up a vase like this for $15.00 today. They had several different heights available. I'll post some measurments later on.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

mini-rasbora

Blinky: do check them out.

I just picked up some today, neon rabora (axelrods) at my LFS. And, added them to one of my 2.5 gal. They're about 1/2-3/4" right now. They look way cool in there & have already found some quiet spaces as well as shoal in its main big open space.

I hope they thrive like the mosquitos. I've been real happy with them, and they with their nano-tank.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Just in case anyone's interested, I did an online search to try and find my vase, I can't remember the name of the company the florist ordered from. I found a company called Secret Garden Flowers and Gifts, and from the pictures it looks like they sell the same type. I looked at less expensive vases at non specialty stores, but found the clarity of the glass was lacking - there were flaws, or the glass wasn't of uniform thickness or otherwise distorted the image. Here's a link to their catalogue page, showing the vase. Mine is the 'large' 6.3" size - I never measured it after getting it home, the florist said it was 6.5" x 6.5" x 6.5", it is in fact 6.3" x 6.3" x 6.3" so I'm fairly certain it's like the one pictured here.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode