Eclipse System 6 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eclipse System 6

Hey, I have an Eclipse System 6 that I would like to convert to an shrimp only tank. Does anyone out there have success with an Eclipse 6? It only has 12' 8 watt bulb. Thats a little over 1 watts per gallon. Will that be enough to grow enough plants to keep the shrimps happy? I could probably grow ferns, anubius, moss, and crypts... Just wondering if anyone has made a nice shrimpitat out of theirs? Also their bulb seems to be a 5500k bulb. should i buy their bulb or go with another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
IMO is should be fine.

There is a link in my signature to my system 6 tank if you would like to see what i was able to do with mine.

Good luck, and have fun with your tank.

Eheim Pimp Club member #113

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by supaoopa; 03-21-2005 at 03:47 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Wow that tank looks awsome!!! Did you use the regular 5500k flourecent bulb that comes with the eclipse tank? And Is that Eco Complete you are using? I would be very happy if my 6 G Eclipse can look like that.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Planted Member

Using original lighting that came with the tank, with plain black gravel.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I have the same tank at home. I have common guppies in it and about a dozen ghost shrimp. There seems to be enough light to grow low light plants although the bulb placement is problematic. It's position on the front of the tank rather than the center means that any plants put in the back will grow forward and look terrible. It's not ideal for plants, but in a pinch, it works. I would switch mine out if my girlfriend didn't buy it. Because of that, I have to work with it.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 03:20 PM

I'm glad to hear that the Eclipse 6 will work for plants even with the lighting that came with it -- I was thinking of starting a cherry shrimp tank in an Eclipse 6 and, of course, wanted to use live plants in it.

It seems that fish tanks are like tattoos -- once you get the first one, you just want more.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Planted Member

Just like to note that the lighting is just bearly enough to keep them healthy (very hearty plants). But then again it might just be the tannins from the driftwood that have been making my lighting look dimmer over the past couple weeks. Either way IMO a 13 watt retrofit with a reflector would go a long way to making this tank more plant friendly.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the tip on the retrofit. I may try an Eclipse 6 with low light stuff and shrimp, then think about upgrading. Yours looks great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode