10 Gallon Shrimp Haven (Pic Heavy) FORMERLY THE 3G DIRTY PICO - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
10 Gallon Shrimp Haven (Pic Heavy) FORMERLY THE 3G DIRTY PICO

PLease go to page 6 and beyond to see the new 10G Shrimp Haven This is my 3 gallon Pico tank. I purchased it for a pygmy seahorse tank about 4 years ago and didn't have much luck. I have always thought it was an awesome tank, and decided to pull it out and do my first dirted tank in it. It now houses my first ever Red Cherry Shrimps. I had to engineer a new light holder as the telescoping legs on teh light didn't hold up well to salt creep and snapped apart when I tried to adjust the light.

Specs:
3 Gallon Bow Front Rimless Tank
HOB Filter with Ceramic Bio Balls and Filter Floss
13 W 2700K CF Bulb
Top Soil capped with Play Sand

Flora:
Riccia
Java Moss
Green Cabomba
Ludwigia
Anacharis
Frogbit

Fauna:
Ramhorn Snails
Red Cherry Shrimp

Semi FTS

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hanging out on the light clip:

Two Red Mommas:

Scavenging through the Riccia:

Proud Momma of 1 Baby Girl, 8 Goats, 1 Horse, 10 Chickens, 2 Guineas,1 Rabbit, 2 Dogs, 1 Cat, 1 Hermit Crab, 4 Angel Fish, 16 Tetras and 2 Cory CatsOh, And a Hubby that understands my tank addiction! (Update! Since going planted he now SHARES my tank addiction!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Last edited by JessDay06; 01-10-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Was this the new shrimp tank we were talking about? +1 for shrimp only tanks! If you're using sand as a cap, I would suggest throwing in a few MTS and have them aerate the soil. They'll also do the same job as the ramshorns. You may have a problem with the anacharius getting dug up but other besides that you don't have a bunch of floating plants in there! How often will you be feeding this tank? How about a real FTS ?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
from what i can tell this is a JBJ picotope tank correct?
pygmy seahorses must have been excruciatingly annoying after a while right?
luckily cherry shrimp are much easier :P you barely even have to feed them.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Diwu13> Yes this was it!! I really like a shrimp only tank. I don't have any MTS snails (Hint to anyone who may have some for sale or otherwise) and my LFS don't carry them. I haven't noticed a lot of bubbles under the substrate, but I am sure something to aerate the soil could not hurt, LOL. I only feed about every 3 days. I got some veggie sticks from Somewhatshocked and both the shrimp and snails love them!! And I promise I will do a real FTS soon, LOL. I didn't have the outside of the tank clean or the dresser the tank is on cleaned up or I would have ;-)
Newman> This IS a JBJ (Cool how you could tell). It's a beautiful tank and a good light, but the telescoping antenna thingies that hold it DO NOT hold up well to SW. As for the Seahorses, I loved them dearly and even got to watch a male give birth, but they are hard to keep fed and happy. I probably will never have any type of SW again. I am digging Cherries. they are as fum as seahorses, but not so fragile and hard to keep up. I even have a few juvies in there now so I must be doing something right, LOL.

Proud Momma of 1 Baby Girl, 8 Goats, 1 Horse, 10 Chickens, 2 Guineas,1 Rabbit, 2 Dogs, 1 Cat, 1 Hermit Crab, 4 Angel Fish, 16 Tetras and 2 Cory CatsOh, And a Hubby that understands my tank addiction! (Update! Since going planted he now SHARES my tank addiction!!
)
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

For now, if you don't have any MTS stir the sand around with something long so nothing poisonous builds up! I would wait until after Christmas to order some MTS from the swap and shop here! I know lots of RAOKs will pop up after Christmas.

Try not to overfeed the snails or you'll end up with tons of them >:[

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Or grab some ASAP here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...fs-snails.html ! He's a great guy to deal with and specializes in breeding snails.

*edit* never mind. He stopped shipping until January. Sorry to get your hopes up if you've read this.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nope, I read it after you posted the edit I'm always in there replanting so I'm sure it stays stirred up. I can wait to January to get some. I'm already pulling baby snails out of there left and right.

Here is your FTS

By jessday06 at 2011-12-14

)
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

it looks nice, especially the riccia right now.

I was able to tell that it was a JBJ because i own the same tank as a reef. I really like it. it's a great tank.

I would suggest MTS as well for the substrate. only one or two to start with.

post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! The Riccia is growing like crazy! Do you know if I can just pick the rock up it is on and trim it with scissors? And have you had problems with the legs holding your light up?

)
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

LOL nice ramshorn on ramshorn action right there. ! You should be fine picking the rocks up and trimming it. You'll be surprised at how much shrimp poop will collect under those lol. You should store the trimmings in like a glass jar and let those grow back out. Then you can sell those or use them again !!! Never ending cycle of awesome.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

no i haven't had breakage issues with the aluminum light legs, but they are prone to getting stuck and i just dont bother moving them much at all because i can see that they are easy to break just to try and get them loose enough to adjust the light. I have that stock 9W clip-on light on my HOB refugium. my display is lit with a DIY LED fixture i made. so i don't have to deal with the stock fixture much. i just set it in a certain position and leave it.

post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Diwu!! And Newman, trust me, you are better off. They snap like twigs!

)
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a little update. plants are growing wild, and I saw a baby shrimp today! Too small to get a pic of though. My camera couldn't even focus on it, LMAO!! But, i did get this wonderful pic>>

And a FTS>>

And a few pics of My Dwarf Chain sword, Erio, Riccia and moss>>

)
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Congrats on the babies! Man your ricca really took off there. Makes me wish some of my moss walls were really ricca walls.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know! It's crazy. And all I did was tie it to some rocks,

)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode