spratocaster's Fluval Edge Iwagumi *2-10-12 HC Problems* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
spratocaster's Fluval Edge Iwagumi *2-10-12 HC Problems*

Hi,

So after lurking for a number of years and drooling over all the great build threads I decided to do one of my own. I have been dabbling in planted tanks for the last 10 years or so, but this is my first attempt at a nano. The plan is an Iwagumi aquascape with HC covering most of the tank and some hairgrass in the back and between the rocks.

I got a deal on a fluval edge tank (<$80 shipped) and even though I may regret it when I'm doing maintenance I couldn't pass up the great look of this tank.

The first upgrade I made to the tank was to upgrade the lighting. I put in some mr16 sockets and added a couple LED light bars from superbrightleds.com. Unfortunately I broke one of the MR16 sockets so I can't show any pics. The new sockets will be in tomorrow so hopefully I can throw them in and snap some pics.

For substrate I am using the ADA Aquasoil Amazonia New "Multitype". The grain size is between the normal and the powder types and seems to be perfect for a nano. I picked up some interesting rocks from the LFS and spent some time arranging them. I came up with this:

I would say I'm 95% happy with it, but I would love to hear some opinions on how to tweak it a little.

Last edited by spratocaster; 02-10-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like it. Been thinking about tweaking my Edge for a while, so I'm interested to see how this turns out.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Not bad. Move the rock on the right to the left (just to the right of the middle rock), then point it to the right. The tank should be left-heavy, and then plant some low plants, like staurogyne repens, on the right.

Also, of you want to, take a razor blade and run around the top of the tank, and take to top glass panel off. A few other members have done that here. Should make maintainence easier.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Not bad. Move the rock on the right to the left (just to the right of the middle rock), then point it to the right. The tank should be left-heavy, and then plant some low plants, like staurogyne repens, on the right.

Also, of you want to, take a razor blade and run around the top of the tank, and take to top glass panel off. A few other members have done that here. Should make maintainence easier.
So something more like this:

Cutting the top off is not an option as I would like to keep all the equipment hidden.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Whatever you do with your layout be mindful of the shadows the stones cast... it will be very difficult to get anything to grow in them the way the lighting is set up in this tank.

Are you planning on doing a dry start with your HC?
Take a look at this: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...build-4-a.html

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

|

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the link. That is a sweet LED setup. I do plan to dry start the HC.

I did notice the big rock casts a long shadow. I guess my options are to either burry the rock deeper to minimize the shadow or to plant something like an annubias or a crypt there.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 PM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
cant wait!

|

|
|

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM

This looks like it will be pretty cool when you get it up and running. Looking forward to seeing it!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the new MR16 sockets came in the mail today. They have little metal retainer clips that help hold the bulbs in. Unfortunately the clips make them a little too big to fit snuggly in the little socket recess. So currently only once screw is holding them in place. This doesn't really effect the function as there is no way those sockets could come out even if there were no screws. I need to find a longer screws for the sockt screw that goes all the way through the arm.

Anyway here is a shot of the modded light bar.

The MR16 bulbs are cool white 230 lumen bulbs from [Ebay Link Removed] The light bars are natural white rigid light bars from superbrightleds.com.

And a couple shots of the hardscape with the lights. I moved things around a bit to reduce the shadows. How the only real shadow is in the far back right corner.

I still need to smooth out the substrate and fill in around the rocks, but hopefully I can start planting tomorrow.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

Looks like you have things ready to go. Any updates?
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

looks good! Just from reading your post I thought I wrote it because it's sounds so eerily similar to my setup. I must be in the twilight zone...whoa...
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry I haven't updated in a couple days. I am currently trying to get ahold of some HC that isn't half dead. My LFS only had 1 mat of it and it was in rough shape. They gave it to me free of charge and I am trying to revive it in another tank. Hopefully I can get out to another LFS this weekend and get some HC that is ready to plant. I would order it but December in the northeast is a no go for mail order.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rr View Post
looks good! Just from reading your post I thought I wrote it because it's sounds so eerily similar to my setup. I must be in the twilight zone...whoa...
Do you have a thread for your tank? I would love to take a look.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spratocaster View Post
Do you have a thread for your tank? I would love to take a look.
No I haven't put up a thread for my tank yet. But I did get my tank for about $80, using AS new amazonia, modified MR16 sockets, LED strips from superbrightleds.com. Currenty DSM HC.

I have a couple pics in the official edge thread on pages 81 and 82.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So it's been a while since I updated this thread. I finally got the plants I needed locally and planted the tank. I used 2 pots of HC and 2/3 of a pot of dwarf hair grass. I am using the dry start methid, so now the waiting begins. I snapped of the freshly planted tank.

I will try to post updates throughout the next couple weeks while the plants are filling in. In the meantime I would like to ask for some advice on carbon dosing. Ideally i would like to just dose excel. My reasons for this are twofold.

1. I don't have to try and shoehorn a pressurized CO2 setup into the cabinet the tank is sitting on

2. Slower growth of plants means less time contorting my hand into the little opening in the top of the tank.

However I am concerned that my lighting may be too much and that without C02 this may become an algae farm. If I did go the pressurized CO2 route it would probably be a paintball setup. I already have the regulator and solenoid so all I would need is an adapter, the paintball tank, and the ADA ball glass diffuser to plumb into the HOB. Does anyone have experience with running an excel only edge with upgraded lights?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode