5g canister & external heater recommendations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
5g canister & external heater recommendations

I'm only a few weeks into my first nano (a planted, shrimp-only 5g crescent) and already I want to replace the stock internal filter with a canister and external heater.

Heater - would the Hydor 200w be too much for such a small tank? I want to keep the tank fairly cool, around 72F.

Filter - Would an Eheim Classic 2211 or an Ecco 2232 be too much for a 5g? Is the Zoo Med 501 Nano good enough? I'd like to put the canister on the floor below the desktop tank (looks like the 501 + Hydor would stick up above the tank otherwise) - is the 501 strong enough for that? I'm assuming I can replace the hoses with stock from home-improvement stores.

Other canister recommendations? Self-priming would be best.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use a 200W Hydor ETH and Eheim 2211 on my Mini-M (5.5-ish gallons). It's worked well so far.

The heater is not overpowered for a nano tank IME. I've used it on a tank as small as 3 gal for 2 years with no problems. It does turn on and off frequently (and doesn't stay on for more than 5 minutes).

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and my

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Jodah
Assuming you're not sticking this tank outside in the middle of winter, I'd say anything over a 75w heater is overkill, and if it sticks on will cook your tank.

I would say the Eheim 2211 would be a good choice. Most any other canister filter I think would put out too much flow. At 60gph, you're turning that tank over 12 times per hour. It's also one of the least expensive canister filters.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Is there an external heater smaller than the Hydor? The programmable internal ones I've seen are huge.

If the 2211 flow is too high, are there ways to reduce it? Maybe keeping it on the floor below the desk would be enough already?

Thanks for the replies so far.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
I was running one of the Zoo Med 511s on a 10 gallon for a while. I was not impressed and ended up replacing it. The flexible tubes gunked up pretty quickly and needed frequent cleaning. It came with too rigid tubes for the intake and spray bar that were exactly the same...so the intake tube had holes that had to be plugged to keep baby shrimp out of them. I opted to not use the spray bar and the elbow pipe did not fit properly and kept falling off. The HOB filter that was on the tank at the same time always seemed to trap considerably more debris which leads me to believe that it was working better. The 511 might be ok for a smaller tank. I don't think I would bother with the 501. Keep in mind that the Zoo Med needs to be placed at the same level as the tank...so next to it or behind it...not below it. The Hydor heater is pretty large. I am not sure, placement-wise, if that would work out very well.

I absolutely love my eheim filters. And I think, if you are going to look at the larger ZooMed, then you are probably in the same price range as the Eheim 2211.

I have not yet had to deal with flow reduction on my Eheims as I have them on larger tanks where it is not as much of an issue. But if you dig around, I think you will find that there are various options for controlling the flow. I don't think putting it on the floor is going to make much impact. The eheims are designed to run below the tank.

I have Hydors on my larger tanks also and I really love them. They are consistent and I have had no issues. There is an audible click when the heater turns on and off that may be an issue for you. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me. I don't know of a smaller external heater. All of my small tanks have internal heaters.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The Eheim 2211 is the frontrunner then. Thanks for the feedback.

Now to check on 9mm lily pipes.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I can't imagine you are going to want to reduce the flow, it is already pretty low and the hydor will reduce that some.

But, doesn't the 2211 come with valves and disconnects? If so, you can reduce the flow that way. If it doesn't look at the 2213 plus kit, it does come with valves and it should only be about $10 more.

I run a Fluval 204(not my first choice) on a 6 gallon edge and the flow seems about right with my CO2 reactor and that is rated much higher.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode