Knuggs Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Knuggs Nano

So I got some blood vomit (type of Erio) the other day and it has what I believe to be Green Brush Algae. Well I didnt want to put it in any of my tanks cause I dont want to spread it and have been to lazy to go to the store and get some H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide). So, Instead I decided to go ahead and plant it in a glass (Not sure what kind?Anyone know?) with eco complete and added 2 small RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) and a couple of fry which are more than likely Dwarf Neon Rainbows, Checkered Rainbowfish, or Dwarf Red Blue Gularis, not sure which I just put all my fry together til they get a certain size. So now a nano resides in my fish room, which is still under organization.

Babies are at the top of this pic ^

Tank Specs:

Size: 78ml (2.6oz)

Substrate: Eco-complete

Lighting: 6500k Compact Florescent

Fauna: 2 Red Cherry Shrimp

Flora: Erio Blood Vomit (Trithuria Sp)

Water Changes: Everyday (with Turkey Baster)

Feeding: Microworms and Tropical granules sparingly (keeps nitrates low)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Last edited by knuggs; 12-12-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
That looks super cute but I can see everything dying due to the massive fluctuation at night. But seriously, that looks really cute !

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
It is cute, but please remove the fauna.

" border="0" />

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! What do you mean by massive fluctuation? Why remove the Fauna? Is it the O2 exchange with plants at night?

+
+
+

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I believe they are talking about temp fluctuations.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
looks cool but yes the fauna wont last in here...
also the plant does look a bit like dwarf hairgrass...thats erio?

how much volume does this thing hold?

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post

Too thick to be DHG. It is trithuria 'blood vomit' like he said.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
I believe they are talking about temp fluctuations.
Temp fluctuations shouldnt be a issue. My fishroom has its own temp controlled space heater, which was cheaper $20 and more energy efficient than getting heaters for all my tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post

The fauna is not meant to last forever in there, only til they grow out. Which they can be easily replaced with other. I always have fry of some sort and tons of cherries

Ill have to measure it tomorrow when I do its daily water change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Too thick to be DHG. It is trithuria 'blood vomit' like he said.
You are correct sir

+
+
+

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You must be heating to a degree right? Say if the temperature is under 68, heat until 72, or something of that sort? Unless you have your heat on 24/7 in which case the temperature in your fish room is the same, then there will be no fluctuations. But if your heat is set as the first case, that little vase is going to feel ALL the changes. A larger tank will barely fluctuate. I know my 10 gallons stay 72 even though the heat in my house turns on at 68, and when the sun shines into my room it'll go up to 76. But a smaller volume of water won't be able to do that, which is why we're worried about the fauna.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah my fish room is around 76-78 degrees 24/7 so they should all be fine Thanks for all your concerns.

The glass is 76ml which is a about 2.6oz.

I did decide to take out the fry due to feeding, since they need fed more often. And since you dont have to feed RCS so much hopefully they will clean my plant up for me and I wont have to worry about H2O2.

+
+
+

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ah, yeah if your fish room is that stable then I don't really see much problem with such a little jar. Imagine if the RCS started to breed in there haha. With such a small plant I'd still drop in like 1 flake of fish food every other day.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah Ill feed them every so often with some microworms and mayb a tropical granule from time to time to keep the nitrates to a minimum. I prolly wont let them get big enough to breed in there, but who knows we will see I also added an Pond Snail.

+
+
+

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
You must be heating to a degree right? Say if the temperature is under 68, heat until 72, or something of that sort? Unless you have your heat on 24/7 in which case the temperature in your fish room is the same, then there will be no fluctuations. But if your heat is set as the first case, that little vase is going to feel ALL the changes. A larger tank will barely fluctuate. I know my 10 gallons stay 72 even though the heat in my house turns on at 68, and when the sun shines into my room it'll go up to 76. But a smaller volume of water won't be able to do that, which is why we're worried about the fauna.
I keep cherries in several 1-5 gallon tanks. They fluctuate in temp from 66-76 degrees from day to day. I have no unexplained deaths.

Temp fluctuations aren't nearly as serious as people lead them on to be. I think the bigger problem here will be that when ammonia spikes, it'll be huge spikes. And "water changes" will be more dramatic.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cherries can pretty much live through anything. I have had these cherries for over 4 yrs and they have been through all extremes! I often joke with people that you could hit them with a hammer and they would still live.

As far as fish though, thats another story. They dont take frequent temp fluctuations so well (depending on the fish).

+
+
+

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
I keep cherries in several 1-5 gallon tanks. They fluctuate in temp from 66-76 degrees from day to day. I have no unexplained deaths.

Temp fluctuations aren't nearly as serious as people lead them on to be. I think the bigger problem here will be that when ammonia spikes, it'll be huge spikes. And "water changes" will be more dramatic.
Hm... I guess I might have been doing something else wrong when I had cherries in a 2 gallon tank. The tank was also getting direct sunlight at the time (yea... bad idea) so the fluctuations were about 10 degrees as well. The cherries never bred once in that tank and slowly died off. Then I saved like 6 of em and moved them into my 10 gallon, and they started to breed. So I deemed the temperature fluctuations as the culprit. My WC's were always 10% of the total tank size so I didn't think it was that.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode