10 gallon new scape :) - many pictures - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon new scape :) - many pictures

so i bought a pack of dwarf hairgrass today at work and decided to retry it again with my eco-complete bedding. I originally had sand and carib sea fert, but my hairgrass never grew so when i redid the tank awhile back i just took it out. I had a massive amount of flame moss in my tank, I made a "tree" out of one of my favorite branches I've found and had it like that since day 1 of planted tank. Here is a not super recent picture of tank before, and now. Let me know what you think. I did use pebbles from the packs of river rocks for bowls, as a decoration . Oh, I use excel and the flourish liquid ferts. I used to use CO2 til I had a massive CO2 dump and almost lost all of my tank .

This is August 26th

Sept 10th redid it. Those fish are now in my 47 gallon.

And today. I did have a LARGE flame moss in the tank, but it just hoovered all my poor plants and I'm now trying to give it to my boyfriend for his tank, hah.

This was after I had redid it on September 10th

That wasn't even all of it. That was just one "stick" of my tree.

How do you guys like it? Should I get a mini CO2 for it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I like the new scape. You can try CO2 but unless you plan on scaping with plants that benefit from it, you might do fine with just doing Excel. Make sure to stick some root tabs in there.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've heard so many mixed feelings about root tabs, but I will get some! Any brand preference?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
You really don't need CO2 for tanks 10 gallon and under. It helps, but you're better off dosing excel as that already provides your plants with organic carbon, what they would get from CO2. Since you're working with smaller volumes of water dosing excel is cheaper/easier than CO2. And you don't risk gassing off all the fauna.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for that info! I haven't done CO2 since the dump, I was so mad at myself lol. How much should I dose excel per week? I do it once a week with flourish too

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

See how it's working for you. If you like how much growth your getting with a dose once per week then don't change! Too slow for you? Increase to twice a week !

But generally I will redose ferts in my tanks when I do water changes. Which is twice a week. But whatever works for you, you should stick with it!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok thanks! i usually do a water change when it evaporates- sounds bad but im on my final exam week of college and been busting out and forgetting my tanks

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good luck on finals! I'm in grad school and the finals are much more relaxed. And you're only in 3 classes lol... Btw what ever did you do with all that flame moss? If you have extras in the future I'll buy them off your hands!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well right now I have a gallon sized bag at my boyfriend's house if he used it. I left a tiny amount on my "tree" to see if it will grow. But if I do happen to reattach some I will let you know! I was about to throw it out and then I thought, ya know..if I was a helpless moss I would not wanted to be trashed. So I put him in a gallon baggy with moist papertowels and waiting to see what happens.

Good luck with grad school! My choice of study is useless til my masters, so I got 1 semester left of associates, then the 4 years after that for bachelors and masters.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well if he decides he doesn't want the moss you know where to send it ! That's pretty much how you ship moss too. Wet a papertowel for the moss bag, and then ship it!

What area are you interested in? And I guess associates = high school?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm double majoring Anthropology and Sociology. Nah my associates is first two years of college. I graduated in 2008, but I messed up on my first 2 years of college and didn't take it serious. But I'm using Anthropology and Sociology either in a business setting to help see if the business would benefit from an area or be useful to the people around it. Or use it in medicine to research the background of medicine, how it was used, its original resources, etc. I'm going more to medicine because I really wanted to be in the med field, but for radiology the career guidance lady was making it seen hard to be accepted in it. then i found out it wasn't, and I'm not wanting to redo another 2 years and make half of what I would make with my masters. so right now I'm stuck working for petsmart as a lead until I can find a career to use for my bachelors. the community college im at they hire some people at bachelors if they are still in college for masters.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting combo. I'm guessing a lot of courses overlap since my intro to anthropology course had a lot to do with sociology. At least you have a plan. Working at petsmart isn't bad haha. Especially since you're interested in fish. Good stepping stone, get all the goodies for your tank now with benefits! There's also the work study option. Not sure if your school has it but mine did for people who wanted to make extra money.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not sure if my school does. After the 2012 spring semester is over I'm going to University of Houston to do my last 4 years.

Oh, here is a picture of my flame moss before I redid my "tree"

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Haha I expected around that much considering the size of that clump you were holding in your hand. Please keep me updated on if your boyfriend uses the moss or not !

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok were you wanting to buy it or something? I've had offers before just never know how this happens lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode