20H update... almost there, still need some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
20H update... almost there, still need some help

hey all,

It seems as though 20 gallons is a little "large" for the nano section of this forum, but I posted here before with no comments/issues. so forgive me if I offend anyone twice

BACKGROUND:

Roughly five months ago I posted with quite a few problems with my plants and algae, which can be seen here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-how-am-i.html

I tried to follow all points of advice I received, all of which was greatly appreciated. Over the last few months, I have done the following:

-replace old bulb with new
-went from two "dead" bulbs to one brand new bulb
-increased plant stock
-increased liquid ferts from only flourish excel to excel/potassium/iron/trace
-added root tabs/ferts

Things in the tank have improved greatly. My cory cats are scattering eggs everywhere, all other fish are happy/healthy, and the plants have done quite a bit of growing. HOWEVER, I still have this gross algae on my crypts and starting on my sword too. I added some nerite snails to handle algae on the glass and hopefully take care of the plants too, but nobody has touched the stuff on the leaves.....

SPECIFIC QUESTION TIME:

- what will eat the brown junk on my crypts? I can kind of rub it off the leaves with a gentle touch, but I would rather get a permanent fix

-is there a mntc/additive solution that could fix this algae? I also see it starting on the sword, which doesnt make me very happy

- I have had bad luck with otocinclus catfish; despite a healthy amount of algae on the glass, I cant seem to keep them for a few weeks. I let the tank glass become nearly completely covered when preparing for the nerite snails arrival. I plan on doing this again to give an oto yet another try; that being said, I dont like buying this little guys just to have them die. thoughts?

- any reason why I shouldn't get shrimp? the bloodfins are the most "aggressive" fish in the tank. the only other competition I think shrimp may have would be my cory cats, but they are pretty easy going. my reef keeping memories have me seriously jonesing for some shrimp, I'm thinking maybe a gruop of 3-5 amano shrimp? would they help with the algae at all?

For the record, all this algae talk is from my concern with the plants health/appearance, I can use my mag float on the glass

SPECS:
tank: 20 gal tall
filter: fluval 205
heater: yes
light: 14W T5 6500K, less than... 4 months old?
liquid additives: flourish excel/iron/potassium/trace elements
solid additives: root tablets, spaced/replaced as suggested on box
CO2: none
fish: 5 black neon tetras, two blood fin tetras, two emerald green cory cats
not fish: amazon sword, java fern, crypt forest, 4 nerite snails
food: varied, and not on any schedule. some days I overfeed, some days they go hungry

PICTURES:
up now!

A huge THANK YOU to all who read and respond. I could not imagine this hobby without the internet/forums. How did everyone do this before????

i have three main interests: home audio systems, aquariums, and cars ...the first two get all my money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pictures

here are some pictures as promised. the first is the all important FTS. followed by a side shot, and a few close ups of the algae/junk on my plants.

as mentioned before, any and all replies/feedback is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1856.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	38428  

Name:	IMAG1862.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	38429  

Name:	IMAG1883.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	38430  

Name:	IMAG1884.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	38431  

Name:	IMAG1888.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	38432  

i have three main interests: home audio systems, aquariums, and cars ...the first two get all my money
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

quick update

it turns out my light timer was set for a little longer than I thought, I shortened the light time for apx 9 hours/day to 7. the tank receives indirect sunlight throughout the day. should the reduction in light help the algae? in the 3rd and 4th pics you can see the green algae on the driftwood... will less light slow the spreading of this?

any feedback would be awesome! thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
If you're getting 7 hours a day in addition to indirect light you still might be giving the tank too much light and the algae will still spread. If you really wanna shut down the algae you're gonna have to reduce the lighting period severely. Maybe just let it use indirect sunlight for two days. During that period try to spot treat with excel.

You have to remember that the hours of indirect sunlight also contribute to the light levels in the tank so you'll have to adjust your timer accordingly. Really sunny days I'll only light my tank for 2 hours, whereas when it is gloomy or rains I'll light for 8 hours.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode