Starting a new to the market Pico tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Starting a new to the market Pico tank.

First off I want to say Hi as a new member of this Forum.. New to planted tanks and want something for my desk so I went with this new Pico tank.
I have had many ref and salt water tanks with lots of fresh water tanks in my 34 yrs of Aquarium hobbies.............. So here I go with a new venture.
Innovative Marine 4g pico tank... Should have it Friday.
The tank has 10000K LED full spektrum lights and a built in behind the wall filter set up.
I was going to start with some Lloydialla Golden and Wisteria in the background.......Ambulia and Rotala Indica for mid section of tank and Baby Tears Hemianthus M and HC for the forground.... A bit of drift wood or rock formation to set it off and away I go..
I will be using MGOPM substrate and pool sand for topping and hope to not have to use Co2 in this small tank...
Should I use the carbon filter media or do I take it out?
I will also add a few Tetra's to the tank and maybe a few shrimp.
Any thoughts or help is welcome.

Name:  Innovative-Marine-4-Gallon-Pico-Aquarium-w-4-Watt-10000K-Skkye-Light-Clamp-LED-Light-White-99.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  15.6 KB
Thanks, Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
sort of reminds me of Ecopico and Dymax IQ series combined. interested in what you will do with this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

These tanks looked great at the FS but they wanted full retail for them of $150... Got this online on sale for $99... A bit pricey but I luved the way they look and should look great when set up.. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll put some pic's up as I go along..
I have read something about taking the carbon out of the filter. Can you give me a opinion on this please? Since it is going to be a El- natural type substrate there may be no need for anything but water movement?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
A lot of us replace the chemical media (carbon) with extra biological media (ceramic or glass biomedia) in planted tanks. The carbon can remove some nutrients/minerals that the plants want and the plants tend to provide a filtration of sorts themselves.

That said it always is nice to have the ability to add the carbon or other chemical media back in for short periods of time to deal with some specific problem.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I pulled up some threads on the substrate pages and some say that carbon pulling nutrients out is a myth??? Not sure which way to go but it's not a major problem at the moment so......
I think I'll leave it out at first and use it to polish the water as I go on with this project.
Since carbon is so porous I would think that it would kinda act like a bio media also? Adding more media to the filter will be easy with this tank/filter set up...lots of room to do whatever is needed in the filter area.

Thanks
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

if your tank is white like that, you should definitely go with white sand to make it look better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
if your tank is white like that, you should definitely go with white sand to make it look better
I was going to suggest that. Black sand would also pop in a white tank.

, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That's a pretty cool little tank.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well the pool filter sand I have is a brown color but I could always look for some white sand.. What would work well...silica sand maybe. Not many places where I live to get stuff.
The tank is coming in gloss white and is very clean looking
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I think it would look best with a real dark plant substrate like Mr. Aqua. If you ask in the SNS somebody might sell you a small portion.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very interested to see how this tank looks.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i dont think the dark plant substrate would work well, imo it would contrast too much. the tank looks modern and clean. white sand would help keep that clean look.

maybe make a hill in the middle, pants a few blyxa in the center and use some rocks or DW around the blyxa. maybe try some variety of carpet plant like belem hairgrass if you dislike open sand look.

also organic soil base can still work with the hill idea without showing the dark color of layered substrate - just make the same hill with the soil in the middle and let the sand cover it entirely from all sides so that no black shows against the glass. might look purer that way.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll give it a go and see what I come up with... I'll post the info on this set up as I progress.. Tank is do here Friday so hope it makes it in one pc with no problems.
The tank is all glass except for the base which is plexi.. This is one of the things I liked about it.. Thanks and keep the comments coming and if anyone has a lead on plant sellers I could use one since I will have to order all my plants anyhow. I am looking at ordering them from Aquriumplants.com but if there is someone one on this forum who needs a little biz just let me know.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I just got an Ecoxotic Ecopico tank from MarineDepot (likely the vendor that you got that Innovative Marine tank from) and it came in well packed and in good shape.

The second box with other supplies in it got banged to hell like they all do but the one with the tank was packed well enough that it would have withstood quite a bit of damage.

Hopefully your pico tank will show in good shape.

In my experience it seems that when they have something that is clearly fragile (lights, tanks, etc.) that they take the time and effort to make sure it will be OK but when you just order random stuff they just dump in packing peanuts and tape the box closed.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep............got it from MarineDepot while they were on sale for $99.
UPS is tuff on stuff and in my biz I only ship with Fedex... Gave up on UPS in 1995..
I'll cross my fingers on this order

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode