My 3 gallon low to no maintenance bowl. (Shrimp or Betta?!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 3 gallon low to no maintenance bowl. (Shrimp or Betta?!)

Hey guys. I recently had to move my 10 gallon to the kitchen so I'm missing having a small tank in the living room. So I bought a 3 gallon bowl at Wal Mart and either want to move my ghost shrimp or betta into it. Haven't decided yet.

This will be a low to no maintenance tank. I will be using Miracle Gro potting mix in the bottom with a sand cap. Plants will be easy low light plants like crypts, moss, and anubias. No heater, no filter, light only from the track light mounted above the mantle (which is pretty bright by itself).

It's empty now but I'll get 'er filled up later tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice. I went looking for a bowl today and winners, bed bath and beyond and zellers didn't have anything. Instead they had Christmas decorations. Wal-mart is my next stop.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I was so tempted to start building a shrimp bowl yesterday. I'll live vicariously through you, instead.

~Natalie |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
i would throw the shrimp in there, especially if the betta is used to bigger tank. i've got an emmersed bowl atm, i plan to flood it next week.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.763284,-73.772343
Sent from my iPhone

“Goodness is the only investment that never fails”

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Depending on how aggressive your betta is (see if he flares up at his own reflection repeatedly) I don't see why you can't get ghost shrimp and a betta. With a no maintenance tank you'll need a lot of plants -> cover for the shrimp anyways!

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The betta is going to produce a lot more waste than the shrimp and if you are going to add the betta, you will need the shrimp in there first to seed the tank to get the natural biofilters in place, adding the betta too early will make it a high maintenance bowl with daily to EOD water changes for at least a month or two... I finally have my natural biofilter set up in my 1 gallon bowl after almost 2 months and finally can go 4-5 days w/o a water change and I only have RCS, I would discourage a betta for at least a month or to so the bowl can mature.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Betta's breathe air though, so there's not THAT big of an issue with bad-ish water quality.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

they have a labrynith organ that can pull oxygen from the air, so they can live with low oxygen conditions for longer, but oxygen is not the issue, its the ammonia that will burn the gills...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
my vote goes for the shrimp and not the betta. low maintenance = shrimp or just plants. no fish.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My betta is living with 7 ghost shrimp in a 10 gallon :O they get on fine, i just wasn't sure who i was going to move to the bowl. I think i'll move the shrimp, but then i feel like the 10g is just too much for a single betta. I don't even know why I got a betta in the first place :S
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
maybe put some fish into the 10 for the betta's company. stuff like otos and cories.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
shrimps...but forget about ghost shrimps...there are lots of other options that are much better looking..

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not where I live. :P

I mean, one scummy LFS sells Cherries but I vowed to never go there again... *shudders* unfortunately they're the only LFS that sells Rummynoses too so ugh... I might have to do it again soon. Too cold to ship any livestock right now, especially with how unreliable Canada Post is. :/
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think your are pushing your luck with a Betta and the shrimp. I think you are going to find what works in 10g might not work so well in 3g.

There's a big difference between surviving and thriving.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
My betta is living with 7 ghost shrimp in a 10 gallon :O they get on fine, i just wasn't sure who i was going to move to the bowl. I think i'll move the shrimp, but then i feel like the 10g is just too much for a single betta. I don't even know why I got a betta in the first place :S
My betta got along with a group of 5 neon tetras, a oto, ghost shrimp just fine in a 10 gallon. I suggest you move half the shrimp to the bowl and stock your tank more with plants and fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode