Planted Fluval Edge - HELP! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Planted Fluval Edge - HELP!

Hey everyone,
Have another question about lighting upgrades for a Fluval Edge, I'm sure ya'll get them all the time but your help would be greatly appreciated! Dumb me picked up some stock replacement halogens for my edge and ended up with mr11 20W. Didn't realize what I did until the lights both burnt out. So my question is, did I just burn the bulbs out or did I fry something else? What needs to be replaced? Everything else works fine. I guess now is as good as ever to upgrade the lighting as I can't keep plants alive for very long with the current setup. I do reef tanks so a plants are new to me. What all do I need to have thriving plants in little 6 gal?

Was thinking of upgrading to the mr16 LEDs. This would also require new sockets correct? Where are you guys finding these? Plants grow best under what lumen output and temp? (6,500K?) What watt/gal am I looking for here? CO2 necessary for plant growth?

The problem being I am leaving town for a couple of weeks on Friday so I need to order this stuff tonight, so ANY help would be awesome guy/gals! Thanks again,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a shot of the tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Pretty tank, I like the buddha

Check out the Official Edge Thread for a number of different lighting builds and discussions about how best to go about this. Wading through all of it might seem daunting at first but its probably faster than waiting for someone to give you a definitive answer here- also, there are A LOT of different ideas about this.

As to where to get this stuff- I bought my MR11 LEDs from www.ledwholesalers.com and I know that other people have bought lightbars from www.superbrightleds.com.

hope this helps

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok so I found what I want as far as new lights but one question still stands. What did I burn up in the electrical department? Again, I put two 20W in the 10W sockets and didn't realize what I did til the lights went off. The bulbs filament are still intact. So I'm guessing it's the transformer on the power supply? Can a socket "burn out"?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KAHUNA View Post
ok so I found what I want as far as new lights but one question still stands. What did I burn up in the electrical department? Again, I put two 20W in the 10W sockets and didn't realize what I did til the lights went off. The bulbs filament are still intact. So I'm guessing it's the transformer on the power supply? Can a socket "burn out"?
I apologize, if you have already tried troubleshooting, but are some thoughts and ideas to try.

If you put the 10W bulbs back in does the fixture work? Are both bulbs dead or just one? Dig you wiggle the bulbs? I think the sockets are not great.
Are the 20W mr11 or mr 16?

Did you try wiggling the switch cords, etc? is there a fuse somewhere in your setup that popped?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just an FYI in case anyone hits on this post with a search. Even if the fuse is good in the transformer it was still burnt out. Picked up a replacement at radio shack and all is well now. Just give the power supply a sniff, smells burnt, probably is.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode