Fluval Ebi questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Ebi questions

Hello all. Long time since I had to post anything. Here's what I have currently:
Fluval Ebi with substrate that came with it (plus an extra bag)
27w CFL desk lamp
paintball Co2
Fluval 106 filter

Livestock:
micro fish and shrimp

I am going to redo my plants. I'm not happy with what I have. Right now I have dwarf baby tears and flame moss with 2 small pieces of driftwood. I'd like to replace them with Sagittaria Subulata and Echinodorus 'Kleiner Prinz'. Add in a little rockwork and a few small pieces of driftwood and call it a day. Here's the question. I'd like to get a different light. One that is still what I call a "desk light"...pedestal stand with arm so I can have the light base sit next to the tank. Any suggestions on where to go, or what type of bulb I should look for?
Thanks.

Turning money into fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svynx View Post
Hello all. Long time since I had to post anything. Here's what I have currently:
Fluval Ebi with substrate that came with it (plus an extra bag)
27w CFL desk lamp
paintball Co2
Fluval 106 filter

Livestock:
micro fish and shrimp

I am going to redo my plants. I'm not happy with what I have. Right now I have dwarf baby tears and flame moss with 2 small pieces of driftwood. I'd like to replace them with Sagittaria Subulata and Echinodorus 'Kleiner Prinz'. Add in a little rockwork and a few small pieces of driftwood and call it a day. Here's the question. I'd like to get a different light. One that is still what I call a "desk light"...pedestal stand with arm so I can have the light base sit next to the tank. Any suggestions on where to go, or what type of bulb I should look for?
Thanks.
Is there a reason that you don't want a clamp-on light (designed for a rimless tank) style?

I have a (since discontinued) Hampton Bay daylight CF desktop lamp with a flex neck that I use over my Walstad bowls. I would recommend it if you can find something similar. I think it has a 28W CF (it isn't a screw type replacement - it is a specially made CF bulb sort of like the one in the Ebi light).

You might look into a sleek looking new clamp-on LED light from Innovative Marine (Marine Depot carries the tanks and lights) that is meant for reef tanks that is offered in a 4W and an 8W version. Since they are for reef tanks they actually provide PAR charts/light mapping/PAR range graphs for each light in the documentation/manuals which is seriously something that every single reef and/or freshwater planted focused light should be required to provide.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wouldn't mind a clamp-on style. When I was using the stock light, I got tired of having to adjust it all the time to do anything inside the tank. With the desktop lamp, I just spin it a little and it's out of the way.

Turning money into fun

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
To get good growth, you're gonna have to have any CFL bulb you find fairly close to the water surface, I'm betting. I found that the tank was so tough to light like that without using a workshop-style clamp lamp that I ended up using 3 of the stock Fluval/Ebi lights.

But GE 26w 6500k Daylight CFLs are my absolute favorite these days. $5-$6 at the grocery store. Also come in 15w sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode