CO2 harmful to my fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
CO2 harmful to my fish

I am thinking of putting diy co2 into my 2.5 gal that has 4 neons and 3 ghost shrimp. Would the co2 be fine for the fauna in the tank or would it be too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 will only harm your fish if the level gets to high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
At night, make sure you have some surface agitation or you'll risk gassing the fauna at night.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you. How can i monitor the levels of a diy system?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You could get a drop checker. Bubble counters aren't as accurate, but will provide "instant" results when you alter the rate of CO2 application. But definitely drop checker!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
You could get a drop checker. Bubble counters aren't as accurate, but will provide "instant" results when you alter the rate of CO2 application. But definitely drop checker!
awesome, thank you!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

To be honest though, I'm not sure such a small tank would need CO2. If you minimize surface agitation you'll be keeping a lot of CO2 in the tank, especially at night. You can test this somewhat accurately if you measure the pH during the day, and again right before the lights/sun comes on/out. The pH will drop lower as the CO2 increases.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I bought a mini co2 diffuser for my 2.5 already but I guess i can always put it on my 10gal and see how that goes I have plenty of plants that would like co2 in that tank as well. I just like nano tanks better for some reason.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Excel might be the better choice for such a small tank.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yea the diffuser size really doesn't play THAT large of a role since sooner or later your tank water will reach the desired CO2 level. Just depends on how long you wanna wait for that change to occur :P. Think about how much easier it will be to hide the mini in your 10 gallon :]!

And yea, I was going to say dose some fertilizer that contains organic carbon: excel, flourish, etc.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
To really maximize co2 levels in a tank without adding co2 i would suggest having lots of surface agitation. This will promote gas exchange and as your plants remove the co2 from the water the increase in surface agitation will replaced the lost co2.

Again the other option that others have pointed out is to add excell but i would do this on top of having high surface agitation. Low surface agitation is only beneficial if you have maybe a DIY co2 system. The low surface agitation will keep the gas in the water during the day and at night you can turn on a air stone to help degas the water.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have been using aqueon plant food with my plants but once i am out i think i will switch to excel. Everyone swears by excel so maybe that will do me well but otherwise i think the diffuser will go in my 10 gal.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Don't switch, add it. Excel is a source of carbon, the Aqueon is micros like calcium and iron and the macro nutrient potassium.

Excel is dangerous too, only dose according to directions.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Don't switch, add it. Excel is a source of carbon, the Aqueon is micros like calcium and iron and the macro nutrient potassium.

Excel is dangerous too, only dose according to directions.
OHHHHHHH okay i can do that haha Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode