Planted Fluval Spec suggestions and advice. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Fluval Spec suggestions and advice.

Evening All

I've been lurking here for a while and decided to register and get some advice for my first properly planted tank. So far my only experience is some Java moss tied to stones, Anubias tied to some Mopani and a couple of bunched stem plants which are pretty much just chucked in my 10 gallon tank.

The aquarium bug has bitten me and I'm getting a Fluval spec for Christmas to setup as a planted shrimp tank so I'm looking for some advice on plants below is a list of plants I like the look of and have done a little research on but being new to this hace no idea if they will be suitable for what will be a low tech nano tank;

Water Wisteria (From what I've read it's a fast growing pretty undemanding plant but will it be too much for such a small tank? I was thinking maybe back/corner of the tank)

Red Ludwigia (for a bit of a contrast from the green, again maybe back of the tank)

Blyxa Japonica (I love the grassy look of this plant and was thinking maybe middle to foreground in one corner.)

I'd also like some kind of carpet plant like Hemianthus Callitrichoides but from what I've read they need lots of light and all I will be working with is the standard light the Spec comes with. I will also use some Java moss from my other tank on a small piece of wood or stone somewhere.

I plan on using Fluval shrimp stratum.

Another question is what would be a sensible number of red cherry shrimp for the tank?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited by Jone83; 11-29-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I forgot something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like all of those plants, but I think the spec light might be a little low for Blyxa Japonica. In my spec I'm using Marsilea Minuta as a carpet and needle leaf Java Fern attached to driftwood, and both are growing really well. The LED light in the spec is really low light, but it does grow plants. Just don't expect really fast growth. This is fine though, because if you plant low light plants, you'll be fine and not have to worry much about algae.

You might need to put a little mesh over the grill where the overflow to the filter is, or else baby shrimp might get sucked into the filter. I would say you could easily have 10-20 shrimp in there, no problem. It's a great little tank for shrimp.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers Storm.

I like the look of the Marsilea Minuta so I think I'll give that a go for my carpet plant. Do you think Dwarf sag would do any better as a grassy type plant?

Cheers

Jon

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
i have a spec and its pretty small...i have moss as a carpet with some petite and small stems in the back ground...its pretty tough to scape but i think it looks good...i also have about 10 adult cherries and a TON of babies...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jone83 View Post
Do you think Dwarf sag would do any better as a grassy type plant?

Jon
The SPEC is so small that I use dwarf sag as my background plant.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ceps y m rof hcraes nac uoy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

And apparently my phone just typed backwards
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. narhay I had a look at your spec it looks good, what is the grassy type plant in yours?

Cheers

Jon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

THe grassy plant is echinodorus tenellus but it grew to be about half the height of the aquarium so I removed it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode