My first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
My first planted tank

Well I started out with a spec with intentions to keep Bumble Bee Gobys. Unfortunately these guys didn't work out in my spec. Ive been keep reef tanks for many years and I have been missing an aquarium since I sold my reef tank before school started. So I did the nest best thing and I purchased a Spec.

here are some pictures of my reef tank

So this is my spec. Live stock include water sprite, and a moss ball... as for the plant in the right im not 100% sure as to what it is... maybe you guys can help me out. As for fish I have 2 Neon tetras and a ghost shrimp

Started with this

then I decided I needed to do something else

broke the drift wood and added some rock

added the unknown plant
and now this is what the tank looks like

I am surprised how quickly everything is growing... it seems like I prune the tank at least every 2.5 weeks.
I hope you guys like my tank and im open to any kind of suggestions!
cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Wow your plants grew out insanely fast in your little tank. What was the difference in time between your last two pictures? Are you dosing any ferts?

Was it a big change from salt to freshwater? Probabily much easier now with freshwater?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like how your Spec turn out. But u need to get a new camera. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Wow your plants grew out insanely fast in your little tank. What was the difference in time between your last two pictures? Are you dosing any ferts?

Was it a big change from salt to freshwater? Probabily much easier now with freshwater?
freshwater is a lot easier. Compared to my reef tanks its is basically maintenance free. I am not dosing anything of ferts or CO2. The last two picture were taken sept 2 and sept 26 according to my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncityz View Post
I like how your Spec turn out. But u need to get a new camera. lol
haha the best camera Is on my cell phone. I will look around to see if any has a better camera to take real pictures.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
You also added a few more plants in between the last two pictures you said? That plant you added in looks really similar to the pre-existing plants so the growth looks insane :]

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
You also added a few more plants in between the last two pictures you said? That plant you added in looks really similar to the pre-existing plants so the growth looks insane :]
Actually I haven't added any more plants besides a small patch of baby tears. I haven't took a picture with the baby tears yet but the picture i posted is of the original water sprite, moss ball and the plant on the right that I think is green myrio.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
nice start to a planted tank
I'm sure you will eventually find that the high tech, high light planted setups are just as challenging as reef tanks, maybe even more.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
nice start to a planted tank
I'm sure you will eventually find that the high tech, high light planted setups are just as challenging as reef tanks, maybe even more.
haha theres a good chance.. ive kept sps and anemones which i thought were fairly difficult, especially keeping them in a dorm room. College limits me as to what I can keep so im most likely going to be low tech until i graduate.

I was thinking about rescaping my tank and maybe just doing some carpeting mosses on the bottom to try to clean it up a bit and suggestions?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

tie Christmas moss to slate rocks (break one up) to make an easy moss carpet.

challenging = keeping a reef system going for a few years without losses or any algae crashes IMO. Its tough to keep up a high tech planted for the same amount of time w/o major issues. Both sides of the hobby are challenging

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
tie Christmas moss to slate rocks (break one up) to make an easy moss carpet.

challenging = keeping a reef system going for a few years without losses or any algae crashes IMO. Its tough to keep up a high tech planted for the same amount of time w/o major issues. Both sides of the hobby are challenging
I will try to get my work to order some xmas moss... i saw you had a saltwater tank too... specs?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

if you saw my 10 gal, that's about to get taken down because i am moving soon. the one you do want to see is my smaller tank:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2#post19543032
the specs are at the start of the thread. This one is moving with me when i move out.

but in case you did want to see the 10 gal, here it is:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...7&st=0&start=0
though it no longer looks like that.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

your 3 gallon rules!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is so funny! I too have a spec with driftwood, moss ball, water sprite, and 2 neons! Though in the past week I added some nana (petite), a killi ( until I get my shrimp) and a little willow moss I might remove.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im looking for some moss to start to cover the drift wood... I rescapped today guys I will post pictures when the tank clears up. I also got some spiralis. I also tied some baby year to the wood in hopes it would start to root on it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Neons were $.99 so I got one to complete the trio. But its nice because I can Actually see things now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode