Nephews Nano On A Budget! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Nephews Nano On A Budget!

So I am setting up a nice nano tank for my nephew for his birthday. Well I have started to compile everything and I will be finishing it up this week. I wanted to see how affordable I could get a nano tank together for.

First comes the tank I found this gem on evilbay and bid on it lost out to the highest bidder by 50 cents. Which turned out to be a good thing as I scored one for $10 less the very next day. Which had a hob filter instead of the undergravel filter which I wasn't crazy about to begin with. So the tank cost me a grand total of $11.49! The tank is approximately 4.5 gallons it is acrylic and it is super clear.

The one I bought off of evilbay is all blue where the black is though. Which I am not a huge fan of but at this price you can't beat it. It included what looked like a single christmas tree light bulb. It was a joke to say the least. I took the light out. Took apart an old ott lite I had sitting around and mounted the fixture in the hood. So it is now sporting a 13 watt power compact bulb. I was even able to get the aluminum reflector to fit in the hood with it.

So grand total thus far with tank, filter, and lighting is $11.49! I am going with pool filter sand with oscomote plus root tabs. Because I already had the supplies and I am trying to do this on the cheap.

Any ideas on how you would scape this thing if it was yours? It has to be virtually zero upkeep as I will be doing the upkeep on it whenever I am visiting my nephews house. Which is about once every other week. So no stems I already have some c. parva I was planning on using as a foreground. Should I go stones, driftwood or a combination of both? What other plants would you suggest that don't require any trimming and stay rather compact. The only plants I can think of right now are crypts.

As far as fauna goes I have some yellow shrimp that I think I am going to be stocking his tank with. However I also wanted a small school of fish for him as he has mentioned he would like some fish as well. What fish is small enough to keep about 5 of them in this tank? I was thinking ember tetras or possibly celestial pearl danios. I am also not opposed to a pair of dario dario however the live food requirement is a no go. Has anyone else had luck feeding these guys flake food as they would be my first choice for this tank if it weren't for the live food requirement?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
I think rocks and wood could be nice together in a tank that size.

What about anubias or java ferns? On wood, nana petit's could be quite lovely.

As for fish, I'm all over rasboras. Given how small the tank is, I would think boraras maculatas, boraras micros, or boraras merah. If they aren't your cup of tea, I would think a sparkling gourami would set off a tank that size quite nicely. Perhaps even with 3 or 4 pygmy cories. I haven't kept dario in at least a decade, so I can't say much on the live food front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i wouldnt do pygmy corys in this small of a tank. also id get a small pieace of manzanita wood with some black stones surounding the base with anubius nana in the rocks in the front and java fern in the back. id also maybe get some pygmy chain sword for the front.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
i think stocking depends on who is going to maintain the tank. if its going to be your nephew, definitely low maintenance types....have you considered staurogyne repens as a foreground plant? i think they are beautiful easy (slow growing) plants perfect for a little nano.

i also <3 c. parva of course you're an awesome uncle man, good luck!

“Goodness is the only investment that never fails”

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

id probably just do some sparkling gouramis for the tank since you could probably only do water changes every other week.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125 View Post
I think rocks and wood could be nice together in a tank that size.

What about anubias or java ferns? On wood, nana petit's could be quite lovely.

As for fish, I'm all over rasboras. Given how small the tank is, I would think boraras maculatas, boraras micros, or boraras merah. If they aren't your cup of tea, I would think a sparkling gourami would set off a tank that size quite nicely. Perhaps even with 3 or 4 pygmy cories. I haven't kept dario in at least a decade, so I can't say much on the live food front.
What if I just went with pygmy cories how small are these guys? Could I fit 5 in a tank this size?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
5 pygmy cories is pushing it. they need more horizontal room than this, they dont care much for vertical room unless they are forced to...
they get to be around 1" long. maybe two cories (if you like them best in groups then just go with some other fish) and then a few more tiny nano fish.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
i wouldnt do pygmy corys in this small of a tank. also id get a small pieace of manzanita wood with some black stones surounding the base with anubius nana in the rocks in the front and java fern in the back. id also maybe get some pygmy chain sword for the front.
I was thinking something along the lines of what you are mentioning here as far as hardscape goes. Not really a big fan of java fern or pygmy chain sword however. I think I am going to go with anubias nana, petite, and crypt parva. Also maybe another crypt not sure yet.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
i think stocking depends on who is going to maintain the tank. if its going to be your nephew, definitely low maintenance types....have you considered staurogyne repens as a foreground plant? i think they are beautiful easy (slow growing) plants perfect for a little nano.

i also <3 c. parva of course you're an awesome uncle man, good luck!
Yeah I thought of star repens however it does require ocassional trimming. I really want something that I don't ever have to trim.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

how does repens require trimming?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I grows up and you end up having to cut the tops off to keep it from getting larger is that not correct?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

up to 10cm in height i believe..i hope that's as high as it can go without trimming lol, plus i think it should stay lower in higher light.
I am planning on using it as one of my plants for my "no maintenance" bowl project, so I'm gathering all the info/opinions i can on it.
have you kept it before?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have once before didn't really have much luck with it though as my water was too hard for it. My nephew has well water so he would be able to grow it. However I am just basing the trimming suggestions on the fact that Tom Barr sells the stuff off like crazy and his seems to grow several inches tall before trimming. His is in a high tech tank though so that does make a difference. I am thinking I am going to stick to parva in the front or a similar grass like plant maybe lileapolsis marinauta or however you spell it hah.

PS: I was so tempted to keep this tank for myself and start up my nano reef as this tank would be perfect for a little reef.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i would not do any pygmy corys. especially not just 2 these are very social and need atleast a 10 IMO. a regular 5 might work but not a tank like this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
i would not do any pygmy corys. especially not just 2 these are very social and need atleast a 10 IMO. a regular 5 might work but not a tank like this.
Yeah they do seem like they would need more horizontal space.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode