UofAHog's JBJ Picotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
UofAHog's JBJ Picotope

This is my first tank in 8 years so please go easy on me. I used to keep planted and reef tanks back when I was in college but got out of the hobby once I graduated. A few months ago my sons said they wanted a fish so I naturally used that as an excuse to start up a planted tank.

Established: October 7, 2011

Tank: JBJ Picotope

Light: 9w PC 7500k

Filter: Stock

Substrate: MTS with Flourite Black cap

Hardscape: Manzanita

Plants: Java Fern, Anubias Petite, Unknown Crypt species x2

Livestock: Betta, RCS x4

I had 1 goal with this tank: Make it as easy to maintain as possible while still keeping it aesthetically pleasing. I needed to keep it simple so that the boys would enjoy it and be able to help with minor tasks to give them some ownership.

With that in mind, I decided to go with a simple driftwood layout to model a sunken stump or branch. The plants are all pretty slow growers as I DESPISE trimming fast growing stems. The local fish store doesn't have the best selection of plants so I did what I could with their available stock. In the future I would like to change out the Java Fern for a narrow leaf variety. Also, I would like to get my hands on some C. Parva to try around the base of the driftwood knot and to fill in some of the empty space from the rear right corner to the front left corner.

My apologies for the dirty tank. Luckily the slimy driftwood fungus is starting breakup this week. I also removed the java moss snag from the upper right corner.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Complaints?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

Looks awesome! Is that a 2.5g or smaller?

-John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
That's a jbj picotope, it's 3 gallons. Very nice btw.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Complaint: get a glass lid cut for this thing or the betta will eventually jump, which will cause disappointment and regret. you may get lucky (I kept one betta for 2.5years in open top tanks without any accidents) but then again you may not.

Otherwise this looks like a terrific start!

This is a great tank, I use one as a reef setup =)

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Complaint: get a glass lid cut for this thing or the betta will eventually jump, which will cause disappointment and regret.
lol really? Haha, yeah, I had a neon jump out of the little hole in my spec's lid once. Crazy!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I lost a showy yellow dragon male plakat a long time ago through a 1" x 1" gap in a 2.5 gallon tank lid.... -__-
He used to be my favorite betta of all time. he was also the most expensive betta i have ever bought so far. His accident was actually the reason why i stopped breeding bettas...

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I really like the 3g picotopes. I have one myself with a very similar looking Betta. Your tank looks wonderful!!!! Its clean and well scaped. Mine just looks like a jungle. LOL

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yup i had my betta died due to jump when i went for a holiday. Its a nice scape.. And yes i agree trimming stem plants is a pita.

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the comments. I'll think about a screen top but I rather like the open top and it was one of the primary reasons for this tank.

Cottagewitch - Is that narrow leaf java fern on the right side of your tank? That is the type of texture that I need behind the driftwood.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

screen top might block too much light, glass top mediates that and slows down evaporation (though not as much of an issue in FW tanks).

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have the same tank!!! :-)))

Proud Momma of 1 Baby Girl, 8 Goats, 1 Horse, 10 Chickens, 2 Guineas,1 Rabbit, 2 Dogs, 1 Cat, 1 Hermit Crab, 4 Angel Fish, 16 Tetras and 2 Cory CatsOh, And a Hubby that understands my tank addiction! (Update! Since going planted he now SHARES my tank addiction!!
)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAHog View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I'll think about a screen top but I rather like the open top and it was one of the primary reasons for this tank.

Cottagewitch - Is that narrow leaf java fern on the right side of your tank? That is the type of texture that I need behind the driftwood.
It sure is! I'll send you a pm.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Minor Update

I've made a few minor changes in the past month and the tank has just settled in for the long haul. I replaced most of the regular java fern with some narrow leaf that Jenna sent my way. I added two more shrimp to finish out the stocking level. Other than that, I have fallen into a decently regular dosing schedule which seems to have helped balanced out the algae production. Balance is bliss. Maybe I'll pickup some Parva to finish this thing up after the New Year.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Algae Grower

Nice!

Love these little JBJs
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
That little tank is sweet.. I wouldn't run a top lid either..
Good job!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode