Found out it is NEMATODES! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Found out it is NEMATODES!

I found some white worms in my 1 gallon bowl. I am assuming they are Detritus worms. They look just the pictures I looked at. How do I get rid of them? Is their a fish I can put in the bowl temporarily to eat them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?

Last edited by TheJadeShrimp; 11-18-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: not what I thought it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
what picture was it? if they aren't planaria then they are likely oligochaetes, and are harmless, so you wouldn't need to get rid of them. small fish eat them, I'm raising a platy fry in my cherry cube right now, and its diet consists of only those worms and maybe planaria for all i know.... i guess it wont accept prepared food with all that live food crawling about lol.

but srsly your worms are probably nothing to worry about.

EDIT:
your vid does indeed show a nematode like ashes said. though be aware that the FW oligochaetes behave similarly when disturbed. the difference is that the nematode will undulate its whole body to swim while the other worm will thrash about and wiggle only a part of its body, sort of like a spasm...and for a shorter period of time. the nematode will keep going.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Couldn't find the picture, but here is a video just like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxnY5pRYZGc

, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Those are nematodes of some kind. Harmless, and most tanks have them. If you have a mass outbreak it could be from overfeeding or not gravel cleaning enough, but if it's just a few, it's perfectly normal.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I started out with one or two. Now I have even more. Do they feed on dead plant matter?

, and
Cassandra
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Check out the shrimp and invert forum. People use some sort of dog heart-worm medication to get rid of them. I've seen a few threads in there recently talking about it.

Plant tanks and grow well.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikardob View Post
Check out the shrimp and invert forum. People use some sort of dog heart-worm medication to get rid of them. I've seen a few threads in there recently talking about it.
panacure (dog dewormer) or fenbendazole is used to get rid of planaria and sometimes hydra, but there is really no need to nuke regular old nematodes. They don't hurt anything and you can vac them out.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes2ashes View Post
panacure (dog dewormer) or fenbendazole is used to get rid of planaria and sometimes hydra, but there is really no need to nuke regular old nematodes. They don't hurt anything and you can vac them out.
Yeah. I have them and they don't bother me or my tank inhabitants one bit. Just trying to be helpful. I can see how they would bother some and the desire to get rid of them.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikardob View Post
Yeah. I have them and they don't bother me or my tank inhabitants one bit. Just trying to be helpful. I can see how they would bother some and the desire to get rid of them.
Yeah, some people find them a bit nasty and want to nuke them. I personally would rather just try to vac them out and not add chems to the water that I don't have to. I keep a lot of nerite snails and fenbendazole can be hard on them as well, so that's another reason for me to avoid it if possible.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Planted Member

Me too. Live and let live. I have a couple of snails and a dragonfly nymph that probably want to high-five me right about now.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well back to my question. Is there any fish I can put in the bowl to eat the nematodes? Even temporarily?

, and
Cassandra
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Member

Pretty much all fish eat nematodes. My concern would be how long you would have to leave the fish in the bowl to get them all. There are usually more than you think there are living in the substrate, and fish don't really necessarily hunt them out unless you just did a gravel vac and the nematodes are still swimming. Being that it's a 1g bowl, I wouldn't personally put a fish in there to take care of it. I would just vac your gravel a little more than normal until they are gone.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes2ashes View Post
Being that it's a 1g bowl, I wouldn't personally put a fish in there to take care of it. I would just vac your gravel a little more than normal until they are gone.
I don't have gravel. I have soil with a sand cap. It's like Newman's Shrimp Bowl. It had cherries in it, but they weren't doing so good. I moved them to a more established tank.

, and
Cassandra
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
use an airline to vac detritis out without touching much of the sand. that is how I do water changes on my bowl, and i remove a lot of planaria plus other things this way while I'm at it.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Could I use a brine shrimp net and net them out? After I net them, can I move them to another tank with fish to eat them? They stay at the top of the bowl or on plants mostly in my bowl.

, and
Cassandra

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode