Vintage 2gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Vintage 2gal

Day 1:
Vintage 2 gallon with original stainless hood. I retrofitted it with a 13w pc bulb... probably gonna add another one.
Running an Azoo small HOB for now.
The tank has been resealed and the glass replaced with some cheap plexi. I am thinking about replacing the plexi with high clarity glass.
Does anyone know where I can order custom cut high clarity glass?

I have 4 CBS that are going to go in there once everything settles out. I filled it with RO, gonna let the new Aquasoil finish leeching, do a 50% and then it should be good to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's going to look awesome!

Plant tanks and grow well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
SO jealous!! Subscribed! Are you thinking shrimp, betta?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Shrimp.......shrimp and more shrimp.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I am not sure what else you could put in here other than CBS...might just be a CBS tank, but it would still be cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's all I was planning on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
thats pretty ok I guess. lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
it is very ok imo

CBS will look great in this thing.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow. I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid. Cool.

sox

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
yeah showed up in really good shape too! just had to retrofit the hood for a 13W PC light... its pretty Epic
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
How hard was it to reseal the aquarium? I'm looking at re sealing a 10g.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I love the tank and I have been looking on eBay because they are just too cool and bring back lots of memories, mostly of acapella taps by the toilet. I loved the black tar oozing from the steel, the steel, slate bottom, if I were you I'd find some low iron glass like Starphire and reseal the whole thing with black silicone, and on a bigger tank I would even think about drilling the slate and installing schedule 80 bulkhead fittings. what you did with the light is perfect but keep this in mind, that steel has to get really hot so you might consider sketching up some cool aquarium theme image and drilling the back side of the hood will hole to let out the hot air and it may cast the image onto the wall so that could be a pro or a con but the heat needs to go.

Working with is a pain in the but so to make it easy place the glass into position and make some faint marks all the way around the frame, now use those marks to apply a good heavy duty tape and make sure to get good contact and hold your tape off of the line by a 1/16 of an inch all the way around, you don't want to try and remove it and have in under the metal, it's best to have a little protruding out. Apply your silicone to the glass and set it in place making sure no to apply so much pressure that you push all the silicone out and you should have it a 1/8 inch or less in thickness, after a week trim of the excess inside and out and remove your tape, make sure to have an exacto knife, razor knife, and some single edged blades handy.

Silicone quickly develops a skin so you get only one chance to set it, and make sure to use your finger to set the bead inside and out, just like caulking a tub, etc. then just leave it alone, and it needs a week to gas out so why risk trimming before it's dry.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Huh, that reminds me that I have an 8 gallon metaframe in the basement..... Hmmm...

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode