Ebi/Flora/Nano Q: Jungle Val-Like Alternative? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Ebi/Flora/Nano Q: Jungle Val-Like Alternative?

Dear Fluval Ebi/Flora/Cube/Nano folks: I'm setting up a new Ebi and am on the hunt for a tall Jungle Val-like background plant. I've got plenty of chain sword and similar plants but want something with a bit more height. Suggestions?

Most of the tank will be consumed by an Iwagumi-esque rock scape with a UG carpet in front. Staurogyne repens will border the front edges of the rock where it meets the UG.

Really love the look of the Jungle Vals I've got in my huge tanks but there's no way it could handle a tiny tank like this.

Would Vallisneria nana be viable?

Thanks for your input!

Jake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 11-15-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
I would think V. nana would be fine, though I've never kept them.

What about a not so very dwarf variety of dwarf sag? I know back when I had them, they'd occasionally get 10 or 12" tall if they were well shaded.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Good call on the sag. May have to see what I can get it to do.

Just don't necessarily want to jump into regular Hair Grass because that stuff grows out of control.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Okay, WHAT have you people done to me?! Like I need another tank. This brings me up to 1,978 gallons. It's my fifth Ebi:

Just ignore the bunches of plants I've got ready to go and, you know, the tanks and jungle and bourbon behind it.

Feel like an intervention is necessary.

Jake

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My wife puts a stop to any more tanks lol, I envy you with multiple ebi's

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have val. nana planted at the back of my Ebi and it grows to where it overhangs half the tank. I have dwarf sag in there as well and a few of them are getting on up into the 8+ inch range. Because of this, I think the dwarf sag will make a perfect background plant for my Spec. I just have the stock lighting on the Ebi, btw.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

ycbs: Thanks for chiming in. Guess I should give Val. nana a shot and will be placing an order with msjinkzd ASAP.

Now, if only I could keep Vals in a dry start. Dangit.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
what about giant hair grass?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Hair Grass grows out of control. Nearly impossible to contain without problems.

Think I finally decided to give Val. nana a shot. If that doesn't work, then we'll see how risque I'm feeling on the Hair Grass front.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode