Smallest Form Of Water Circulation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Smallest Form Of Water Circulation

What is the smallest form of water circulation you have come by? I have a nano tank I just setup however my typical go to nano filter is far to large. I am looking for something to circulate water in the 1 x 1 inch size. Any ideas? I do not want to run an air pump so that is out of the question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
what kind of setup do you need this for?
air pump/ hose is the smallest form of circulation. next probably are small power heads and pumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've seen a tiny filter that size, but it did use an air pump.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I just hate the noise of a air pump. The tank is similar to the bowl you have setup newman. It is for my nephew though and he is going to rarely be able to make water changes.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

imo he doesn't have to use water circulation. shrimp can make their own as long as there are plenty of plants to supply the O2 in the day time.

temps should be in the low 70s to ensure good oxygen supply. the oxygen should last the shrimp overnight too if there are plenty of plants. the tank shouldn't have a lid but the water level should,be low enough to avoid losing jumping shrimp.

that way all you need is a light =)

also i suggest a sort of a dry start to the tank to make sure there are enough plants in there supplying the shrimp with enough oxygen. plus it will speed things up, and you can get shrimp in there faster.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How often are you doing water changes newman?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smallest widely available powerhead I can think off is the hagen elite mini and the tom's internal filter. Just remove the filter media compartment, then you have a small powerhead. The smallest powerhead I've seen was a Tunze. I forgot the exact model, but it is popular among nano/pico reefers.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Smallest widely available powerhead I can think off is the hagen elite mini and the tom's internal filter. Just remove the filter media compartment, then you have a small powerhead. The smallest powerhead I've seen was a Tunze. I forgot the exact model, but it is popular among nano/pico reefers.
Thanks I have the Tom's mini internal and I was actually thinking about doing something like what you are suggesting. Not looking to spend Tunze money though!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

since i try to do my best to keep crystals in my bowl, you shouldn't really base your maintenance on my bowl. if you go with a pair of cherry shrimp (and let them populate from there), you will not have to do very frequent changes , just top offs most of the time.
My guess will be that it can go w/o a water change for a month or more easily.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode