first post... first tank... :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile first post... first tank... :)

Hey everyone, This is my first post here. First would like to say my name is Justin and I'm glad I found this forum!

Anyways, For the longest time I've always wanted a fish tank... (who hasn't!) I am hard pressed on room on my desk. I started shopping around recently and found my way into the aquarium warehouse in San Diego. I started looking at the Fluval Flora as a great choice for a first tank. i like that it is a complete kit that really requires water, plants, and fish.

Anyways, I plan on picking up a tank on Sunday, but I was curious to see if anyone had any better suggestions for a tank, or is the Flora a good choice? I know I'll have to put small fish in there, but I was thinking about also getting some small shrimp. Anyways, any tips or tricks, or good info to know for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'd skip the flora and go with the Ebi. Yes, the co2 system that comes with the flora is both aesthetically nice and functional, but the refills over time will get very expensive.

Low tech is cheap and can be as beautiful as a tank with all those gadgets and money pits.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I agree with Pinoyboy, I wish I would have purchased the ebi instead of the flora. I ended up building myself a nice co2 system for it, and replaced the light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

interesting.... can the substrate that come's with the ebi work well for growing plants as well? I'd like to grow some plants, unless there is plants that look great and don't require co2? I'll probably only go with a few shrimp, but I really want shrimp... I like tetra's but will Molly's do well in the Ebi or Flora?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin911 View Post
interesting.... can the substrate that come's with the ebi work well for growing plants as well? I'd like to grow some plants, unless there is plants that look great and don't require co2? I'll probably only go with a few shrimp, but I really want shrimp... I like tetra's but will Molly's do well in the Ebi or Flora?
I would supplement the flora with good fertilizers and Excel (liquid carbon source) and you should be fine. As far as I know, the two substrates are similar, with the ebi's being smaller grain. I would get an extra bag of it if you can, the bag that comes with the tank is just not enough. Stalk the swap and shop here for some Rotala Rotundifolia 'green' that plant is tough as nails, and will do just fine in that tank. It is also a smaller leaved stem plant, so it will not look out of place in the tank. Take a look at Ember Tetras, they are a small tetra, and very pretty once they color up. perfect for a group of these in the tank. You can also look at Cross banded Danio, or Celestial Pearl Danio, they are also small fish with alot of desirability. Dont get both of the danios though, they can cross breed (my preference is for the cross banded danio (Danio Erythromicron) They are shy little guys, so plant heavy and you will see more of them. You could follow them up with say a Sparkling Gourami which are also pretty good in a tank this small. There should be an excel spreadsheet in the nano tank forum for the nano fish. Just stick with fish around 1.5" or smaller.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
The Fluval plant stratum and the Fluval shrimp stratum are reported to be very, very similar. You would need to add some fertilizers with either of them so in that sense you won't be giving up very much in going with the shrimp stratum instead of the plant stratum.

I have an Ebi and the tank is very good looking (if you pull out the rock background it turns the tank into a very good looking rimless cube(ish) tank similar to an ADA rimless tank.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I would supplement the flora with good fertilizers and Excel (liquid carbon source) and you should be fine. As far as I know, the two substrates are similar, with the ebi's being smaller grain. I would get an extra bag of it if you can, the bag that comes with the tank is just not enough. Stalk the swap and shop here for some Rotala Rotundifolia 'green' that plant is tough as nails, and will do just fine in that tank. It is also a smaller leaved stem plant, so it will not look out of place in the tank. Take a look at Ember Tetras, they are a small tetra, and very pretty once they color up. perfect for a group of these in the tank. You can also look at Cross banded Danio, or Celestial Pearl Danio, they are also small fish with alot of desirability. Dont get both of the danios though, they can cross breed (my preference is for the cross banded danio (Danio Erythromicron) They are shy little guys, so plant heavy and you will see more of them. You could follow them up with say a Sparkling Gourami which are also pretty good in a tank this small. There should be an excel spreadsheet in the nano tank forum for the nano fish. Just stick with fish around 1.5" or smaller.
Thank you so much for this info! it really helps me out. I am so "green" so to speak, that I am kind of lost when getting this guy set up. The Ebi tank is cheaper than the Flora tank that's for sure. I've never heard of liquid carbon... This stuff works well? could be a better option. Would shrimp do okay on the substrate for the Flora kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
The Fluval plant stratum and the Fluval shrimp stratum are reported to be very, very similar. You would need to add some fertilizers with either of them so in that sense you won't be giving up very much in going with the shrimp stratum instead of the plant stratum.

I have an Ebi and the tank is very good looking (if you pull out the rock background it turns the tank into a very good looking rimless cube(ish) tank similar to an ADA rimless tank.
thanks for the info madness. How do you like your Ebi tank? Do you have any pictures?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Excel isn't "liquid carbon", it's actually (from what I've read from other's report) a diluted glutaraldehyde. It can be used as a substitute for a carbon source; also works good for spot algae treatment.

Shrimps will do alright in the flora substrate. Then again, I'd go with the Ebi just because the co2 refill on the flora will cost you alot.
Quote:
Keep your live aquatic plants flourishing with these refill CO2 canisters. Each cylinder lasts approximately 1 month at 1 bubble per second of dispensing. Includes 3, 88g canisters.
A pack of 3 refills costs 15 to 40 dollars online NOT INCLUDING shipping. After a year or so, you could have built a good pressurized dual stage co2 system. It's also the main reason why the Flora is expensive. Go with the Ebi and use glut based products or DIY yeast co2; It will be just as effective and alot cheaper.

Here is a nice collection of them: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...mp-club-3.html

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
i personally, would get the finnex 4 gallon for my next set up (i don't have one right now).
i think aesthetically, and economically it's worth it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i'm not too worried about the co2 cost. I have a bunch of those canisters laying around from my BB gun days!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Be warned that the Co2 cansiters are proprietary I believe so just any cartridge will NOT work, the threads at the top make them harder to get and more expensive
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
i'm not too worried about the co2 cost. I have a bunch of those canisters laying around from my BB gun days!
What Ozydego said. The threads are proprietary; so you will be forced to buy their co2 cartridges.

Also, I'd rather use up those co2 cartridges for bb guns; just for plinking .

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow that is good info to know! I had no idea that they were proprietary! Hmm! this is becoming a difficult decision! LOL

I like the idea of getting the Ebi, but for some reason I keep going back to the Flora. The DIY yeast Co2 caught my interest though
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Excel isn't "liquid carbon", it's actually (from what I've read from other's report) a diluted glutaraldehyde. It can be used as a substitute for a carbon source; also works good for spot algae treatment.

Shrimps will do alright in the flora substrate. Then again, I'd go with the Ebi just because the co2 refill on the flora will cost you alot.

A pack of 3 refills costs 15 to 40 dollars online NOT INCLUDING shipping. After a year or so, you could have built a good pressurized dual stage co2 system. It's also the main reason why the Flora is expensive. Go with the Ebi and use glut based products or DIY yeast co2; It will be just as effective and alot cheaper.

Here is a nice collection of them: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...mp-club-3.html
Your right that excel is not just "liquid carbon" but for all intents and purpose for the OP boiling it down to its simplest terms it is pretty darn close, the chemical makeup of Excel is CH2(CH2CHO)2 which has hydrogen, and a bit of oxygen mixed in with a crap ton of carbon.

Quote:
wow that is good info to know! I had no idea that they were proprietary! Hmm! this is becoming a difficult decision! LOL

I like the idea of getting the Ebi, but for some reason I keep going back to the Flora. The DIY yeast Co2 caught my interest though
The reason you keep going back to the flora is probably because the flora is intended for live plants, and the ebi is intended for shrimp. But they are exactly the same tank. What you are paying for with the flora is a set of large tweezers, which are nice, and a very expensive to run co2 system, other than that, it is the exact same kit.

DIY co2 is a good alternative, but again if you don't want the pain of recharging it every couple weeks, I would go with the excel. If you wanted to spend a bit more, there is a pretty good pressurized system out there for paintball tanks. I have http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4531/product.web
on my flora, and it is a pretty good system. you can set it and only mess with it when you need a refill. the 20oz paintball tank costs me 3.50 for a refill, and I only have to refill it every few months or so. I would not worry about that until you decide to go to a higher light setup.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm probably gonna do a paintball co2 system too. my cousin used to play paintball and I'm sure I can get a old tank from him.

I gave in and got my tank today!!! Got the Flora kit for 100 bucks. I can't complain too much. A buddy of mine uses the same diffuser kit and he said the threads are the same for the co2. The small air gun canisters are fine. I have so many of those and no gun to shoot with with any more...

The water is starting to clear up a bit. I can see the wall through the front now, and there are a grip of small bubbles all over the inside of the tank and the diffuser. I assume those bubbles will go away after the tank cycles for a while. Got a piece of drift wood and a rock for free from the place I went too and I also got some water treatment called Prime which is the stuff the guys really recommended to me at the shop. In all I'm really happy with my buy. I'm thinking of planting it Sunday!

PICTURES TO COME!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode