jeri's cherry bowl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
jeri's cherry bowl

this is my first dirty bowl! it is a 1.75g 'brandy sniffer' bowl from petsmart. it has miracle grow organic garden soil...capped with gravel. it has a desk light, but gets good southern light a lot of the day. we'll see how much i need the light. probably a lot in the winter....since we're so lacking in sun. >.<

flora: bunch of dwarf sag, i stole from my (now torn down) 10g. and java moss on driftwood. duckweed and frogbit floaters. might put some najas in there until the plants have rooted well.

fauna: 7 red cherry shrimp! (thanks newman)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cherry_bowl_017[1].jpg
Views:	141
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	37397  

Name:	cherry_bowl_018[1].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	37398  

Name:	cherry_bowl_021[1].jpg
Views:	117
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	37399  

Name:	cherry_bowl_022[1].jpg
Views:	113
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	37400  

Name:	cherry_bowl_023[1].jpg
Views:	117
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	37401  

12g edge-planted
5g adf
150g s/ca cichlids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Has this been cycled or stabilized long enough before adding the shrimp?

I like how it looks like a HUGE wineglass. And nice driftwood layout
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

it's been set up for a few days....without the shrimp, which i added today. cycling wise....in a NPT, the plants are supposed to act as the filters, so it doesn't have a filter or media..as you can see. i'm sure the plants have good bacteria on them, as the've been established for quite a bit (in the other tank) but i might put some bio media i have in my other tanks, on the bottom of the bowl, so the BB will transfer faster to the gravel.

yes a huuuuuge wine glass ;D

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Planted Member

Looks good. I agree about the cycle thing. Walstad even suggests throwing in fauna right from the start. Shrimp would probably prefer a smaller substrate they could sift through.

Plant tanks and grow well.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

rikardob: well i tried to get the smallest pieces out of the gravel i could. but then had to throw some bigger pieces on top cos i felt like the soil was too close to the top. i might take some of the bigger pieces out though....as the soil is packing down. =]
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Planted Member

Haha. Be careful man. If the soil gets out in the open its a pain to get rid of. I'm sure its fine. Maybe just add play sand or something if you ever have a chance.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i'ma chic, but you can call me man. ohhhh no, i wouldn't let the soil out. i started another dirty tank about a month ago...and that is going well...so i hope this bowl will be the same.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

Lol. Sorry Ohio. Good luck with the bowl and your famous shrimps.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
looking nice!
the thing about not being cycled is slightly worrying me. if you have a good test kit, be testing this thing every 3 days or so for ammonia and nitrites. if you see anything, do a big water change to dilute it. Also i recommend doing weekly 50% water changes on it just in case.
Glad all shrimp are fine! looks like the females will color up even more when they live there for a few more weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

but how can you cycle a tank that is supposed to be filterless? i put in a couple pieces of bio media to help seed the gravel though. i'll pick up an ammonia test tomorrow at the very least....as i haven't tested my water(s) in over a year...so they are expired. i'm kind of used to just not testing them, if i know they're cycled.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

bacteria do live on all surfaces in a tank, especially the things like substrate and DW. w/e little water flow is in there (even from air moving over the bowl surface that you don't notice) the bacteria can use. even more so when shrimp are swimming around and breathing in there (as they move water when they breathe and create a tiny current)
Yes do get an ammonia test, and a nitrite test couldn't hurt either.

whether or not you get anything, I'd still do the 50% water changes weekly. at least while your plants aren't taking over the tank. once they do, you will be able to tone down the water changes or eventually not change at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you get nervous about the water quality you can always take fast growing plants that can adapt to floating (anacharis, hornwort, watersprite) and toss a good chunk of them into the tank at the start. It will ugly the tank up a bit but this will allow you to add quite a bit of fast growing plant mass and still be able to easily and cleanly remove it at a later date when you feel like the bowl is more stable and mature.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks newman and madness. what about najas? it's pretty fast growing. but i'm going into a large lfs tomorrow, so i'll try to find some hornwort or watersprite.

so the fast growing plants, plus the couple little bio balls i put on the bottom, should help this little bowl, and shrimp
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

if the bio balls came from an established tank, then definitely.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerilovesfrogs View Post
thanks newman and madness. what about najas? it's pretty fast growing. but i'm going into a large lfs tomorrow, so i'll try to find some hornwort or watersprite.

so the fast growing plants, plus the couple little bio balls i put on the bottom, should help this little bowl, and shrimp
I think that Najas should work - if I remember correctly it is considered a fast growing nitrate sucker (what you want). I also seem to remember that fry love it - is this the guppy grass plant?

I haven't actually seen/used this plant but if it is the one that I am thinking of it sounds like it is the exact type of plant that I am talking about - fast growing, nitrate and nutrient hogging plant that can handle being floated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode