Are my shrimp hungry? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are my shrimp hungry?

Ive had my shrimp now for one week. Four rcs in a planted bowl. The bowl was set up a month prior to me getting the shrimp. I know that there was a good amount of plant matter ( dead leaves etc ) built up and other than some minor hair algae not much else visible. I bought algae wafers but, I do not want to introduce nutrients into the tank if it s not necessary. At what point should I feed these guys? They have their color now ( looked pretty bland for a few days ) and they are starting to move about when the lights are on ( instead of hiding like they were ). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Planted Member

Just watch them for a little while they graze. They are constantly defecating and you will notice the little black feces dropping from their backside if they are healthy and eating well. If you spend like half an hour watching one and don't see any aquatic-bombs then they might not be eating well.

Here is a pic of a male and female from my bowl. If you look under the female on the right you will notice a fresh dropping. That's what you are looking for.

Last edited by rikardob; 11-10-2011 at 03:01 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive witnessed no Bombs" as yet. I rarely see them in the plants. These guys are churning around in the dirt like mad. I would assume they are finding yummys down there.

Last edited by Razorworm; 11-10-2011 at 05:47 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Careful, Rikardob. I've seen threads better than this closed before for political slurs.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Another good indication that they aren't finding enough to eat is if they don't stay in one place and forage. If they constantly are swimming around the tank, never staying in one place too long, you might want to feed them.

This always happens when I leave for the weekend. When I come back I notice the shrimp much more active than when I pamper them during the week.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Planted Member

Edited so we can stay on topic.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol rikardob

they really do not move around that much. They will stay in one spot for a while and move their front "arms" like crazy. I have tried to see what they are picking up, if anything , but they are simply too small.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
why dont you try giving them something...if they swarm then maybe feed once a week. a small amount of anything will do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I gave them a piece of algae wafer and they eventually nibbled at it and then went back to the above described activity
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Member

They're probably doing just fine on bio-film and tasty critters in the substrate. Mine probably don't need food but I still give them blanched veggies every other day or so. I just take out what they don't eat the next day.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I would give them something if your not feeding any other fish etc., check out this of things you have in your yard that shrimp will eat, good luck.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
if they show limited response to the food you give, maybe they're getting all they need from you tank. are their intestines visible? it should be a solid dark line going from their head to their posterior region. just like in the photos above.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmmm, I really can't make out the line of their intestines. I put a piece of zucchini in there last night and it hasn't been touched.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

Did you boil it first?

Plant tanks and grow well.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
Hmmmm, I really can't make out the line of their intestines. I put a piece of zucchini in there last night and it hasn't been touched.
Give them a while so they can learn that it is food. Like others said, they may be satisfied with the biofilm in the tank. My cherry shrimp eat anything that falls to the bottom of the tank, frozen brine shrimp, Amano/Azoo shrimp food, algae wafers, fish flakes and pellets, etc. Perhaps your shrimp are just full!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode