5.5 gal suggestions betta or shrimp colony - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
5.5 gal suggestions betta or shrimp colony

im planning on having micro-sword carpet most of the bottom with possibly a small rock/driftwood somewhere in there.. question is should i go with some shrimp or should i "rescue a betta from a possible life of misery" .. im planning on having this be a natural tank with only a heater and possibly a small powerhead.. i may decide to go with a sponge filter if i cannot make the tank stable without one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It really depends on what you want. Do you want a betta or shrimp more? You could probably do a Male or Female Betta with a few shrimp, 4-6. Maybe? But of course it depends on the betta's attitude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can easily set this up to be all natural and have no extra filtration. All you'll need is good lighting and quality substrate. What are you planning on using? You could go dirt with it and have a gravel cap plus a good light.

Both shrimp or a Betta are good choices. I've got a Betta so I know they can be fun and full of personality. You should really make sure the tank is established before going with shrimp if that's the path you'd like to go. Others will comment on the care level of shrimp. Hope this tank gets going and then you can post pics.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
You can easily set this up to be all natural and have no extra filtration. All you'll need is good lighting and quality substrate. What are you planning on using? You could go dirt with it and have a gravel cap plus a good light.

Both shrimp or a Betta are good choices. I've got a Betta so I know they can be fun and full of personality. You should really make sure the tank is established before going with shrimp if that's the path you'd like to go. Others will comment on the care level of shrimp. Hope this tank gets going and then you can post pics.
the tank is established, has 80 watts over it right next to my 20Long everything within it is from other tanks (flourite substrate thats 5 months old) and i had a 10gal filter on it for a few days that was on my 20 gal for extra filtration and is currently on my 29 gal cause the filter on that is starting to die down
its been set up like that for a few days,the only new thing is a heater i bought.. it has the microsword planted right in the middle and a small bunch of wisteria in the corner..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeShrimp View Post
It really depends on what you want. Do you want a betta or shrimp more? You could probably do a Male or Female Betta with a few shrimp, 4-6. Maybe? But of course it depends on the betta's attitude.
lol i know its basically whati perfer more but i dont know which i actually do perfer more! i might try the risk of getting a betta and see how they react with the shrimp, possibly get the shrimp first than add in the betta, thats what i did with my male betta thats in my 20 long with guppies and left them alone possibly cause i put him in last who knows, ive never seen him flare except at me sometimes a long time ago hah
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 PM
sandie

go with the shrimp.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I say go with a male betta, go to the store and walk by the bettas....pick out which ever one pays the most attention to you...my betta is the coolest most interesting interactive fish ever. I even think he doesn't like it when my dog gets to close to me...he flares up when i pet him in front of the tank, he greets me every morning the instant i wake up (he is right next to my bed, eye level with me) i have trained him to jump out of the water to get his food and he loves it when ever i give him attention.

You wont regret it if you get a good one =]

Oh and my betta is in a five gallon by himself...along with some snails and i think they tank looks to small now...so more than one betta might not be good especially since they can be really aggressive, wouldn't you hate running into the person you live with all the time!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thinking about doing the same thing with a 5 and going with the Betta. The Betta might always tolerate a few shrimp; or possibly I'll have to buy a 10 gallon and set up a little community.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm doing a halfmoon and a school of microrasbora's. Possibly nana. In my 5.5. If the betta can tolerate other fish. Otherwise its gonna be a betta a nerite and an oto.
Really hopping to get the mirorasbora's in though. Or possibly ember tetra's. Still figuring out which plants to put in so its a little off in the future.
I would be happy with just a nice betta though.

I like shrimp tanks.. But I think I like them in long shallow tanks. But thats a personal thing for me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for some input all haha.. i think i will go with a betta in the 5.5 and get some amano or bamboo shrimp for my 20 long and 29 gal.. maybe ill try to float the new betta near the shrimp and see how he reacts than maybe add some to the 5.5 with him, my betta in the 20 long only will sometimes nip during feeding but thats cause hes with female guppies that try to snatch up all the food lol
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Always try with cheap shrimp first, my betta picked them up and chewed on them like a dog would a toy!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode