Is This A Good Setup? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is This A Good Setup?

Hi,
I am new to the aquarium hobby and only have a 10 gallon tank without plants. I am considering a mini planted aquarium. I like ADA stuff obviously but am wondering if this combination of stuff would be good to start?

ADA stuff:
ADA Mini S Type R (curved back frosted glass)
Amazonia Aquasoil Powder type (3 Liters)
Power Sand S (2 Liters)
Bacter 100, Clear Super, Tourmaline BC
Liquid ferts?

Other stuff:
Fluval CO2 Deluxe 88 kit (ADA stuff is too expensive)
Hydra Aquatics Retina I LED Fixture (ADA Mini S Solar is too expensive, this one is for marine aquariums with 9500K and an equivalent of 50 watts, would that be OK?)
Other Filter? (I don't want an ADA one because the glass is so expensive)

What other filter should I get? I was thinking maybe an Aquaclear 20 because those are pretty clear so it wouldn't disrupt my aquascape too much. If I do get a HOB filter, I plan to get a small panel heater that will fit in it. I plan to do an Iwagumi. I plan to keep cherry shrimp in it. Does this sound like a good starting set?

Thanks in advance,
shrimpdude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If it were me, I wouldn't spend that kind of money and then slap a HOB filter on it... completely ruins it. An eheim or other small canister filter is how I'd go. Also, I don't think that light offers enough light to do much. It is only 4 watts of light, and despite being LED, that means it really isn't much. It will illuminate the tank, but not drive photosynthesis.

If you're interested in cheaper alternatives for some of it, let me know. I(RootMedic) make several alternatives to some of these: powersand(RM ProSand), tourmaline(Tourmaline-p), liquid ferts(two kinds: RM Complete-2 bottles micro/macro, or oneSTEP: one bottle with micro and macro combined).

pm or post a question and I'll be happy to answer.

thanks,
Justin
Rootmedic.com
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the cost for the hagen co2 setup will add up, I would go with a 5lb co2 setup.
you can go with a eheim 2111 canister filter or a cheaper option the zoomed 501
as for the light, there are alernatives to the solar minis on the afa website

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
I saw the eheim 2111 and it looked cool but I was wondering if there was a cheaper input and output hoses (the ADA lily pipes are like $70 for each!!!)? And rootmedic dude, I checked out your site and it looks awesome. I still have some decision making to do though. What ground cover plant would you guys suggest? And also, that light said it was equivalent to 50 watts of regular lighting. I don't know if that is a scam or what. It has 8 actual watts. I know that LED lights are used for photosynthetic corals, but are plants different?
Thanks in advance,
shrimpdude
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you can buy other brand of glass ware, on E<bay> or on other websites, Cal aqua makes good glassware( inflow,outflow, co2 diffusor and so on)

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would recommend getting an eheim 2211. They're a really good line of filters. As for lilly pipes, I would point you to Cal Aqua Lab. They also have a lot of glassware (diffuser, drop checker, bubble counter, etc.) as Team Teal said. Here is a link. I believe there are some inline heaters you can get so you don't need to put a heater inside the tank itself. Lastly, if you plan on going the Iwagumi route, make sure to find some rocks that won't affect your water parameters as much; especially if you're going to stock your tank with shrimp. Cherry shrimps are pretty hardy though in my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I can't argue with the choice of an ADA tank. There are alternatives (though not for the misted glass versions that I know of) but they appear to be incredible looking tanks so if someone is going to splurge for ADA products (other than AquaSoil) then the tanks seem like the appropriate thing to pay the premium for.

The ADA soil additives always tend to cause an argument but the fact of the matter is that many people have great success with just ADA soil while skipping the powersand and the bacterial additives and other chemical/biological solutions.

When it comes to filters and in tank equipment the ADA price premium really rears its ugly head.

Cal Aqua, Gush, etc. all offer some alternatives when it comes to intake and return tubes and pre-filters that tend to be far less expensive.
Finnex has some good nano-tank equipment - a clip on light that provides a decent bit of light (and you could always order a second light) and a canister filter similar to the zoomed 501 that is less than $40 I think.

You probably ought to seriously consider the Finnex Pico 4G Glass Deluxe+ kit as it comes with the clip-on light, the canister filter and a pretty nice 4 gallon rimless tank with rounded FRONT corners. The whole package runs $75.

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?page...hk=1&Itemid=61

Personally I would focus on the actual tank, the canister filter and getting a 'real' CO2 system as my priorities in terms of budgeting expenses for the tank.

CO2 is going to help the plants a lot more than getting the full ADA substrate system would (if you have to choose between the two).

In terms of CO2 look for either a full CO2 set-up (with a regulator) or a paintball set-up (which can be found around here for ~$50) because the ones with cartridges will break the bank in terms of regularly replacing them.

I would take Justin (RootMedic) up on his offer of answering questions about the substrate systems. He is very helpful and is straightforward and helps make sure you get what you need rather than just pushing one of his products off on you.

If you can not afford the light that you really want you might consider just using a desklamp with a 6500K (or other daylight spectrum bulb) CF bulb put in it which you can find at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. Then you can save up for the more expensive (better looking) light later on. A small tank like you are getting can easily be lit up with compact flourescent lights so the options are cheap and plentiful.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

There is a sub-forum for each state/area and there are a decent number of members here in Colorado so stop on by that forum at some point and check it out.

When you get the tank set-up I might be willing to give you a handful of juvenile Painted Fire Red (Red Cherry) shrimp to get you started if you are willing to drive across town to pick them up.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Hey madness,
I looked at the Finnex and I am strongly considering that but i was wondering if I could hook up a glass inflow and outflow for the filter to it because the ones that come with it are really bulky and ugly.
Thanks,
shrimpdude
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you can as long as you get the ones fitted for that size tubing

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

I wasn't able to find out with a quick bit of googling which size of lily pipes would be used for the Finnex PX-360 canister that comes with the Finnex kit. Worst case scenario you could get it out of the box and measure them and use it with the stock intake and outlet until you get some lily pipes ordered.

One thing worth noting is that the Finnex canister needs to be on the stand/table/whatever with the tank. It flows fine but it isn't designed to push the water up a significant distance like a fountain pump or a full blown canister filter.

If you want to be able to completely hide the filter then you should probably go with the Eheim 2211 ($68 at Kensfish http://www.kensfish.com/product173.html).

The Eheim intake and outlet are also ugly as heck but so many people use custom intake and outlets on them that they are common and well known. If you planned on lily pipes in the first place it will be an easy transition.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

If I don't seem to be responding to a question in this thread you can always PM me if need be.

I don't have all of the answers (or even most of them) but I have gone looking for most of them and might be able to point you in the correct direction on some of this stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode