First Planted Tank! Low tech 10g ***UPDATED 2/9/2012** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
First Planted Tank! Low tech 10g ***UPDATED 2/9/2012**

So after a period of lurking and few post seeking advice, I've finally come up with an aquascape I'm not too embarrassed by to share. Tank has been running in one form or another since early september. Here are the stats:

Tank: Petsmart 10g
Filter: Aqueon HOB
Lighting: Two Aqueon 50/50 10w mini CFL bulbs in a standard Petsmart hood
Substrate: Super Natural's natural aquarium substrate
Hardscape: Local collected stones and Malaysian driftwood
Ferts: root tabs, cheap liquid micro/macro, no co2
Flora: Vals and ludwigia Repens
Fauna: neon tetra x4, harlequin rasboras x5 , ammano shrimp x2, apple snai, assassin snail, cpo

Below are some photos. Keep in mind the driftwood is stilled leeching tannins(despite two boilings!) causing the tea coloration of the water. Water changes should correct this but it kind of has a cool effect. Please offer any suggestions or advice especially regarding more plant selections. Excited to hear what you all think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4zSPc.jpg (149.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg GwLD2.jpg (157.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Gy9ib.jpg (159.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg CyD8t.jpg (145.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg BNcHC.jpg (181.3 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Grown Ocean; 02-10-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 AM
SCAPEr

awsome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice start! Most people suggest either using only rocks or driftwood, though... I don't think the conglomerates compliment that nice piece of wood very well. And the cut off branch looks kinda odd.. maybe you could tilt it so it looks a bit more natural?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think the tank is lovely! Simplicity at its finest!

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments. I believe I agree with you on the stones. I'll trying pulling them out when I do a water change tonight to reduce the tannins. Any suggestions on plants? I want it to have a very natural, jungle like look.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Perhaps get a foreground carpet plant if you're looking for the jungle look?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am certainly thinking about some type of carpet in the foreground but honestly I'm a little intimidated as most carpeting plants seem to require heavy ferts and co2. Any suggestions for something that is fairly hardy but still achieves that grassy carpet look?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Did a 40% water change and took the opportunity to remove the stones and shift the driftwood. I feel like it looks much more natural. The wood is still leeching but I'm hoping a few more WCs will have it clear by the weekend. I'm still looking for plant suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4MbUi.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	37338  

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could do Dwarf Hairgrass. It is a low to medium light plant.

I also suggest Java Ferns, Anubias, and Crypt Wendtii.

, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Algae Grower

Looks Great so far.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love the way this tank looks, that driftwood flows very nicely and a good set of fish in there too, keep up the good work! I agree with java fern and Anubias... anubias is a slow grower, a leaf a month, but it has such a great shape and color... I have a red wendtii that after it melted in my tank grew back and is one of my healthiest planst and sits way off in the corner... same with the anubias, so light should not be a problem for them
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update!

So I've done a little rescaping as well as added several new plants. Big shout outs to ashes2ashes and geniusdudekiran, two fellow South Carolinians who have really hooked me with shrimp and plants. Both are great s&s sellers and I would strongly reccomend checking out the next sale either of them has.

New plants inclued a bolbitis fern, unknown baby crypt(thanks ash), dwarf sag, and nesaea red. The vals and red ludwigia seem to be taking off and everything is starting to fill in and come together. I also started dosing excel last night so I look for that to help. I'm thinking about changing out some of the fish if anyone has any suggestions.

Next project is to get the 2.5 shrimp tank looking better so I can show off my CRS(thanks kiran) and Bee Shrimp(thanks ash).

Please let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	37915  

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
looks great!!!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
oh and try pygmy chain sword, you dont need Co2 but root tabs will help.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So it's been a while and a lot has changed with this tank so I thought I'd post a quick update. The CPO went to Nashville to live with my little brother as he was getting a little too agressive. I think his tank has really hit its stride, these pictures follow a major trim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yWEG8.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	41766  

Name:	lJYDl.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	41767  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode