in-line heater for small nano tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
in-line heater for small nano tanks

That is the question , Does any one make them for smaller tanks, smallest in-line heater I found was a Hydor and it was rated for a 20g and up. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nope...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
I've used a 200w Hydor ETH in-line on my 7.9gal Fluval Ebi for more than a year with no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

(somewhatshocked) what temp was the tank ? It's kind of a shame, to spend all this money on glass lily tubes and glass drop checkers to have a big ugly heater in the tank.

also what about the under gravel heaters ? any one using one of those?

Last edited by doonie; 10-31-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added things
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Use the Hydor. I am. What's better than a small heater in the tank?, no heater in the tank.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well looks like hydor it is , next small planted tank will get the in-gravel heated cable.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I've used a 200w Hydor ETH in-line on my 7.9gal Fluval Ebi for more than a year with no problems.
It's at about 78. It's easily controlled and serves as a good flow-slower for my Eheim.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
i've used the same Hydor 200w ETH in-line heater on my ADA mini-L reef for a few months now, and i love it. it's huge outside of the tank, but its SO nice to not have an internal heater in the tank! it does a great job, too. the tank is at exactly 76 degrees for 24 hours a day. especially because the hydor in-line heater is only $50 (versus a similar in-tank heater that would be $30 and far lesser quality IMO), i would highly recommend it.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It's at about 78. It's easily controlled and serves as a good flow-slower for my Eheim.

Can I ask what you have it set at also , I have one tank with shrimp and would want to keep it around 72-74deg and my air temp is around 67-68deg.

Also I can get the Hydor inline heater's locally for $32 for the 200 and $34 for the next one up. I take it I should stock up on them for that price?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just can't believe why pet companies don't want to compete with Hydor and make cheaper/ lower wattage heater for this hobby.

I'm sure the electric bill for 200w heater is not cheap.

|

|
|

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

It'd be expensive if it ran 24/7, maybe. But it's pretty efficient and I haven't noticed any billing increase at all.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
+1, mine does not run very much.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
If you are a DIY person there are small titanium heaters made by Catalina that have the thermostat control built onto the plug. You can use one of those and enclose it in a PVC housing and make a small inline heater. I would not recommend the project if you feel uncomfortable splicing wires or lack basic plumbing skills though. Also, you will need a couple sizes of pipe taps and a Heyco cord grip to allow the elecrical cord to exit the PVC housing. I use this setup on my 30C and have had it running for about a year with no issues.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I agree that it is energy efficient. When it is quiet I can hear it click on and off every 5 or so minutes. And I say quiet because if it was normal noise levels then I couldn't hear it.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonie View Post
Can I ask what you have it set at also , I have one tank with shrimp and would want to keep it around 72-74deg and my air temp is around 67-68deg.

Also I can get the Hydor inline heater's locally for $32 for the 200 and $34 for the next one up. I take it I should stock up on them for that price?
Sorry, just now seeing your question.

I keep the temp set at 78 and it stays at 78. Only heater I've got that stays at the temperature I set it at. And when I say only, I mean only. Not even the other Hydor heaters (in-tank) I have do that.

$32 is GREAT deal. Cheapest I've found online or at a local store is about $44 after taxes. Typically at least $50 online when considering shipping. I say buy two for that price so you have a backup. Ha.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode