What kind of heater are you using? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
What kind of heater are you using?

I have a Fluval Edge and am looking for as small a heater as I can get. I bought one of the flat type that are easy to hide, but I HATE that they have no thermostat, and I can not just set it, calibrate it, and forget it. I have seen the posts where someone is getting an Asian heater and a converter and cutting his tank up to fit it in the filter, but I am not really into all those extra steps.

So.. What are you guys using in your Nano's, what size is it? Is it easy to hide? Does it have a thermostat? etc etc?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have an Aqueon 50w in my 6.6gal, I really like it. It can be put in horizontally at the bottom of the tank, so it's easy to hide. You can set the temperature and I haven't had any issues with it. It runs a little lower than what I set it to, but it runs consistently so I have no problem with that! (Just set it a little higher )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ammo" - lavender/cellophane super delta tail male

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
I have an Aqueon 50w in my 6.6gal, I really like it. It can be put in horizontally at the bottom of the tank, so it's easy to hide. You can set the temperature and I haven't had any issues with it. It runs a little lower than what I set it to, but it runs consistently so I have no problem with that! (Just set it a little higher )

About how many inches long is it?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
dunehole: Have you tried the heaters created specifically by Hagen for the Edge? They also market them under the Marina brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
dunehole: Have you tried the heaters created specifically by Hagen for the Edge? They also market them under the Marina brand.

Nope, the heater that you are referring to says that is heats the water to 7 degrees over room temp, which means that if my room temp gets lower than 70 or so in the winter, the heater will not be able to compensate appropriately.

Do other people use this type of heater with no problem? It makes me paranoid. Where I live we dont have AC, so if we have an exceptionally warm day, say 80 and I forget to unplug the heater im looking at a tank temp of around 85-90.. If, in the winter it gets cold, the heater may only be able to get the tank up to 70ish?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
The heater I'm referring to is set at 76/77 deg Fahrenheit.

I have the smaller version in 2.5gal tanks with no problem. Also use the version for 6gal (Edge) in my 5.5gal tanks with no problems. They never get hotter than 78.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I just bought the Fluval Edge heater for my Fluval Chi. My tank was about 63, popped the heater in and it ran right up to around 74. They're set to turn off it the water hits 78, so you don't have to worry about them overheating your tank. Working great so far, but I've only had it in the tank for maybe 3 hours, lol.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have had the Edge heater, and took it back. It was not able to keep up the tank temp on colder nights, when the house is in the 50s. I ended up getting a Marineland 50W Stealth heater, which has been working great. They had a recall and sent a replacement, which drifted up. Right now, I switched back, and it is working great.

I think, people having trouble were not using it right. I unplug before major temp changes, and handling.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haralds View Post
I have had the Edge heater, and took it back. It was not able to keep up the tank temp on colder nights, when the house is in the 50s. I ended up getting a Marineland 50W Stealth heater, which has been working great. They had a recall and sent a replacement, which drifted up. Right now, I switched back, and it is working great.

I think, people having trouble were not using it right. I unplug before major temp changes, and handling.

Interesting. What was the recall for? How long is that heater?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunehole View Post
Interesting. What was the recall for? How long is that heater?
Boiling and breakage.

My brother got the replacement from Marineland, and placed it in the tank. The original had worked fine, the new Marineland replacement boiled his tank!

I just switched to the Fluval 12 Gall, and have ordered the Fluval E 100W Electronic heater. It looks like a safe and accurate design, and should be able to keep the temp high enough even when we are not heating this room at night.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't use any heater on my nano. For that matter, I don't use a heater on any of my tanks. I live in Miami, Fl and my thermostat is always around 78. I'm guessing CA has similar conditions. As long as your house temperature stays in a reasonable temperature range your fish will be fine. Fish can easily adjust to temperature fluctuations as long as they happen slowly and over the course of hours. For example sometimes my house temp will fluctuate from 78 to 72 throughout the day(slowly of course). I've never had any problems with fish deaths due to this. Now, if your trying to breed fish I think it would be a good idea to keep temperature ranges close to exact parameters.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have the 25w Marina in my 6g nano. It is auto set to 78degrees. It hasn't been able to get the 6g above 74 however, which would be about 7 degrees above the coolest room temp of the day. That's adequate for us.

It is Alice, small size and the ability to submerge it let's put it anywhere you like.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Algae Grower

hey dunehole,

i'm in the bay area , ca and unplugged my heater recently. I had the fluval auto heater and it kept my 4 gal tank way too hot (80ish), i unplugged it and it fluctuates around 70-73ish so far and my shrimp do fine. i'm waiting for a really cold day to see where the tank would go but its fine right now, actually i know a few members here in the bay area not running heaters on their shrimp tanks and theyre doing great. if you have a tank over 6 gals id recommend the hydor theo.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfed View Post
hey dunehole,

i'm in the bay area , ca and unplugged my heater recently. I had the fluval auto heater and it kept my 4 gal tank way too hot (80ish), i unplugged it and it fluctuates around 70-73ish so far and my shrimp do fine. i'm waiting for a really cold day to see where the tank would go but its fine right now, actually i know a few members here in the bay area not running heaters on their shrimp tanks and theyre doing great. if you have a tank over 6 gals id recommend the hydor theo.

Hey thanks Boostfed

I am in the bay area as well. I am not currently using a heater and i have no problem with the temps, just starting to wonder what it will be like in the winter, since I rarely turn the heater on, the apt maybe 65 or so. I have one of those Hydor heaters, but the lack of a thermostat makes me nervous...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode