Low Budget 2.5 Planted Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low Budget 2.5 Planted Cube

So I recently received a 2.5 gallon glass cube and I'm planning on converting it into a planted aquarium(duh). I have little previous experience in planted aquariums, or aquariums at all, only having a ten gallon vivarium previously. I looked into the costs, doing a lot of research, and I figured I can make this project go for about 40 dollars. However, I just wanted to check with you experts out there on this, and to see if I can do anything cheaper, or if I'm missing anything necessary. So for prices;
Tank-0
HOB, Red Sea Nan0-12
Heater-12
Play Sand-5
Fish(Shrimp?)-?
Plants-12ish?

So basically, I've done a lot of research, and I'm just wondering if there is anything else I needed to know before I do this? I was expecting the cube to be about 5 gallons, but it turned out to be less :/ so i changed my expectations a bit. Anyways, I'm in college and I want to go as cheap as possible, So thats where I'm at. Basically, any advice before I manage to kill everything? And any stocking advice? I was thinking crystal red shrimp, with maybe a bumblebee goby or two, but I know that I'm extremely limited by the tank size. I would like a dwarf puffer, but I would rather have a bunch of shrimp and one or two other fish, then only one puffer.

Forgot to mention: I have another 5000K 23W CFL left over from my .5 gallon tank, and that might be taken down, so I would have the lamp too. Regardless, the lighting cost at most would be the cost of a desk light, But I think I have an extra, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is zero.

Last edited by Ckent42; 10-27-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Forgot Information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
If your thinking of putting a dwarf puffer with shrimp in a small tank, it may not be a good idea. There is a good chance the Dwarf Puffer will eat your shrimp. My dwarf puffers would eat the smaller ghost shrimp at first and shy away from the larger ones. But they soon got over it and got brave enough to eat the bigger ghost shrimps.

Not sure if anyone has been able to keep dwarf puffers with shrimp in a small tank successfully; ff anyone has, please chime in.

Eheim Pimp Club #482 Classic 2213/Ecco 2232

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Planted Member

Everything I've read says you want at least five gallons per Pea Puffer.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well thats why I was considering just shrimp, or maybe a few other nano fish. I have a friend who kept one in a 3 gallon for awhile, and it did fine, until she wanted to get rid of it because of it's aggresiveness. I took it so she wouldn't just kill it, and tried to keep it in a half gallon because it would have become food in my other tank, but unfortunately it perished after several days, probably because of temperature fluctuations. Yes, I did perform daily water changes. But he was a lot of fun while I had him, and will hopefully one day have a tank that will be suitable for one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode