Planted nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wink Planted nano?

I have never heard of a Planted Nano tank, until coming here. I am planning on setting up a low tech low light 29 gallon planted tank. Planted nanos intrigue me now. lol

My Questions:

Can Nano's be low tech and low light as well?
How hard is it to start one?
What type of filtration is best?
What about lights?
Plant Recommendations?
Could a 1-2 gallon fish bowl work? To me it can. If not, I several small tanks I can look at and see if they work.
I was thinking pool filter sand just like my future planted tank.

P.S. I don't know what to do! Everything you can do with planted tanks are so intriguing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
From my experience, a nano low light does not do well, even my mosses are not really growing. you need at least medium light. my 10g is using 5w+8w CFL and mosses are doing poorly. I've then upped the light to 11w+11w CFL, and immediately the mosses are showing growth.

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Yes, nanos can be low-tech and low-light. Just like a big tank.

No more difficult to start one than a large tank. Though, sometimes cycles take a bit longer to get going in my experience. And if you're clumsy like me, it's often more difficult to scape 2-5gal tanks than it is 20+. Neither are really cons, in my opinion, just reasons for me to complain.

Small sponge filters (if you've got enough room in the tank) or a Hang-On-Back will work well. Everything from the standard eBay sponge filters to Red Sea Nano and Aquaclear HOBs.

Desk lamps, standard hoods that fit your tank size, construction-style clamp lamps with CFLs. You've got a lot of options with small tanks. Even speciality clip-on lighting.

Plants: whatever you most enjoy. There are all kinds of plants that work well in nanos. Some you have to trim, some you won't really need to. Anubias nana are popular in low-tech tanks, Java Ferns, most mosses, some Chain Swords, several crypts.

Fish bowls work. There are even specialty filters you can buy for $5-$10.

For substrate in a small tank, I say go with what looks best to you and works best for your needs. Since you'll be using a small amount, it'll be easier and cheaper. Sand is very economical, as you are aware (for your future tank), and looks great in small tanks.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay thanks to both of you.

I have several clamp lamps, they are reptile ones. Going to have to find the clamps. lol

I also have some Energy saving bulbs. I am going to use them.

So I got my Light, light fixture, and tank/cage/bowl.

What is left to get? The sand, filter/pump, plants, and possible a heater.

EDIT: I thought about something similar to this Shrimp Bowl.

, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
heeey, you found my shrimp bowl.

The missing ingredient from your list is the organic potting soil to use as your bottom layer (you cap it with the sand). The miracle gro brand organic mix is really nice/cheap and produces very good aquatic plant growth.

The heater is not important as long as your house temps do not go much below 69F or above 83F. plants do not care much but cherry shrimp would do best in that temp range.
I highly suggest you start out with keeping plants and cherry shrimp before moving on to other things.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
heeey, you found my shrimp bowl.

The missing ingredient from your list is the organic potting soil to use as your bottom layer (you cap it with the sand). The miracle gro brand organic mix is really nice/cheap and produces very good aquatic plant growth.

The heater is not important as long as your house temps do not go much below 69F or above 83F. plants do not care much but cherry shrimp would do best in that temp range.
I highly suggest you start out with keeping plants and cherry shrimp before moving on to other things.
I have kept several shrimps at one time or another. I currently have Java moss and Java Ferns in another tank, from a tank I took down. I have that exact fish bowl. The light bulb I have is the same wattage, but 6500k.

, and
Cassandra
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

6500K is better, i just use 3500K at the moment because that's all i can get for now.
and i meant the plants and cherries in an unfiltered, unheated, low maintenance bowl.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
6500K is better, i just use 3500K at the moment because that's all i can get for now.
and i meant the plants and cherries in an unfiltered, unheated, low maintenance bowl.
Oh! lol. I just got home from college. My mind is a far.

Wait, are you saying I should try this, before my big tank? Or start my big tank before this?

, and
Cassandra
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeShrimp View Post
Oh! lol. I just got home from college. My mind is a far.

Wait, are you saying I should try this, before my big tank? Or start my big tank before this?
Do both. Nanos are a good treatment for Multi Tanks Syndrom (MTS). And I will say +1 on what Newman and somewhatshocked said. They both know their stuff. In regards to filters, you can also find some nano sized internal filters for small tanks. However, keep in mind, the any motor you have running in a tank, whether it be a filter or powerhead or what have you, it is going to add heat. With that said, go for it. And I see nothing wrong with what order you start the tanks in. Big first, Little first, both at the same time, what ever makes you happy and comfortable. Good luck and keep us posted.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
I Ironically, most nano (less than 10 Gallon) are the most expensive route that hobbyists are ended up.

|

|
|

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Do both. Nanos are a good treatment for Multi Tanks Syndrom (MTS). And I will say +1 on what Newman and somewhatshocked said. They both know their stuff. In regards to filters, you can also find some nano sized internal filters for small tanks. However, keep in mind, the any motor you have running in a tank, whether it be a filter or powerhead or what have you, it is going to add heat. With that said, go for it. And I see nothing wrong with what order you start the tanks in. Big first, Little first, both at the same time, what ever makes you happy and comfortable. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you! I defiantly will. Probably start a new thread once I get it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
I Ironically, most nano (less than 10 Gallon) are the most expensive route that hobbyists are ended up.
It usually is. lol

, and
Cassandra
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

the smaller tanks do get expensive, especially if you want top of the line tech on them and have them looking and running flawlessly, but they can still be done in a cheap, casual, and still nice-looking manner.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
the smaller tanks do get expensive, especially if you want top of the line tech on them and have them looking and running flawlessly, but they can still be done in a cheap, casual, and still nice-looking manner.
That is what I am going for. Cheap yet elegant. Some of the best looking tanks on here are cheap and low tech, as well as the expensive ones are.

I may pick some Miracle Gro and plants tomorrow.

, and
Cassandra

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode