When is it safe??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
When is it safe???

Hi all. Here is a pic of my "bowl". It is now 7 days old. Other than a few strands of hair algae it seems to be settling in. I want to add some shrimp,but Im not sure how long I should wait. It is MTS capped with black sand. I light it about 8 hours a day with a 60 watt cfl in a desk lamp. I have been doing 50% water changes every day or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0961.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	36272  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think 60 watts is probably waaay too much! You can get 10w CFL bulbs at Wal-mart, like 2 for $7. That's what I use for my shrimp vase

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ammo" - lavender/cellophane super delta tail male

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Pretty sure the OP means 60watt-equivalent. Most top out at 23-26 watts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes you are probably right. I made the same mistake in my own thread (mine are 40watt equivalent)!

I think the bowl looks great, sorry for not being more helpful about the MTS/shrimp!

"Ammo" - lavender/cellophane super delta tail male

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Since there's not much to really "cycle" in a bowl without standard filtration, you've just got to make sure your water parameters are good to go for the shrimp you're adding.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
so you have a bunch of Malasian Trumpet snails capped with black sand in here? nice

once your plants are growing really well, it should be safer to add the shrimp. it doesn't guarantee that there still wont be a spike of something though, so keep up weekly water changes when shrimp are in. (i remember i had a nitrite spike when i first put my one cherry shrimp in my bowl).

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
Lol mts - mineralized top soil

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ah ok, that does make more sense...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Penny, yeah, it's a 60 w equivalent, my bad lol.

I think I will give it another week. Water now is fine though. When I add the shrimp, ( I'm thinking crs ?? ) how many do you think I should get?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

get around 5 shrimp (they will be small juveniles)
also do not move too fast especially with crystals. get A grade if you can.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what do you like to feed your shrimp. I realize that without a filter, the food should be kept to a minimum....?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i feed all sorts of stuff. shirakura pellets for shrimp, blanched spinach, Tetra spirulina flakes, there is a piece of dried leaf in there for them, and soon ill be feeding them Mosura food as well.
I am making it a habit of leaving them without food for at least one day a week...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Planted Member

I try feeding mine, but really they prefer eating whatever it is they find around my bowl. They pay minimal attention to the boiled spinach and whatnot. I'm going to try every other day for a while and then twice a week etc. till I know if they really need it or not. May just end up forgetting about trying to feed them eventually until they breed.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
what do you like to feed your shrimp. I realize that without a filter, the food should be kept to a minimum....?
Feel free to feed them pellets, wafers, or blanched veggies. However, I wouldn't recommend leaving anything in for longer than 1 or 2 hours. That will really start to pollute the water.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

in order for my shrimp to find and eat the spinach i give them, i leave it in the bowl for a day or two...it takes them a while to find it because they can barely find it by smell(there is no water circulation). I do not find that it fouls the water. unless the food looks like its decomposing - then you should probably remove it asap. the Tetra spirulina flakes i feed get ripped up overnight so i always vacuum the remains up the next day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode