Can you put a CO2 system on a 5.5g tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you put a CO2 system on a 5.5g tank?

Someone on another forum told me that its a bad idea because it will make the plants too big... but this doesn't seem like a bad thing. The fish tank is new but the plants are by far my favorite thing about it. The fish are just there because other people like them, the plants make it look beautiful.

I want the plants to be as healthy and attractive as possible, I don't care about the amount of maintenance involved.

Right now I have really basic plants, swords, anubias, java moss etc... but that's when I wanted something low maintenance. After I put the plants in there, and noticed how good they look, I decided I wanted to do more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can put a CO2 system on pretty much any size tank as long as you have the lighting and ferts at a roughly equivalent level. The plants you list can and will do just fine in a low light no CO2 system, so in your case the CO2 may be unnecessary. If your plants are doing well, it might be better to leave it alone.

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love your description of your tanks, and I feel the same way about them, the plants are what make them amazing. I put a few fish in cause I thought they would like it, and because people think it so odd to have a fish tank with no fish. I like to think of myself as an aqua gardener as I live in an apartment and don't have any outdoor space.

I inject CO2 on two 5 gallon tanks and have similar plants as you listed. The plants are doing very well, and I trim often (every 1-2 weeks) as they grow fast. I've been adding some more stem plants over time and they are happy as well. The Norton's lamp eyes I have in one tank have started to reproduce, so clearly injecting co2 isn't doing them any harm.

Initially I went with DIY CO2 but quickly moved to a pressurized system, much less maintenance and better accuracy with the amount injected. I used drop checkers to make sure I'm adding enough and not too much.

cheers

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I have co2 on a 2.5g. With the plants you have C02 is not necessary. You could try to dose ferts to see if that helps them grow faster.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wasn't clear about what I meant. I will put in other higher maintenence plants if I have co2 running.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Constant trimming isn't exactly good for plants, so if that's what the result of adding Co2 is then you might want to rethink it. I have pressurized CO2 on my 5.5, but my lighting is low enough that I'm not particularly having problems from it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have co2 on my 5.5gal and I love it. It's up to you really.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is anyone using the fluvial mini co2 kit on their 5 gallon? I have that running but I didn't know how many times to dose it per day. I just fill the apparatus once a day instead of twice like they do in the instructions for a 15 gal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Dosing CO2? Highly recommend you read CO2 stickies and search around a few threads here.

CO2 would typically be measured by bubbles per second. With the Fluval system, it'd be on 24 hours per day. You'll require CO2 for at least the duration of your lighting cycle.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Dosing CO2? Highly recommend you read CO2 stickies and search around a few threads here.

CO2 would typically be measured by bubbles per second. With the Fluval system, it'd be on 24 hours per day. You'll require CO2 for at least the duration of your lighting cycle.
The fluval miniCo2 kit doesn't dose with bubbles. It's basically an upside-down reservoir that you fill with co2 once or twice a day and it slowly mixes into the water over the course of an hour or so. imagine like a small bowl that hovers upside-down in ur tank, then u put a co2 gas pocket under the bowl periodically and that pocket dissipates into the water flowing by.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Definitely ditch that system when you're finished with the product you've got on-hand.

Go with DIY champagne yeast or a basic paintball system. Way cheaper (not even in the long run - probably cheaper just to get started) and easier with better results.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
Constant trimming isn't exactly good for plants, so if that's what the result of adding Co2 is then you might want to rethink it. I have pressurized CO2 on my 5.5, but my lighting is low enough that I'm not particularly having problems from it.
trimming depends on the plants. Many stem plants LOVE to be trimmed, that is one way to get the very thick dense bushes found in many aquariums. here is a trimming journal off of another forum. There are some stems taht do not like to be trimmed, but for the most part it encourages growth, lotus's become more dense, stems throw out side shoots, swords throw up more leaves ect.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-timeline.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinhd View Post
The fluval miniCo2 kit doesn't dose with bubbles. It's basically an upside-down reservoir that you fill with co2 once or twice a day and it slowly mixes into the water over the course of an hour or so. imagine like a small bowl that hovers upside-down in ur tank, then u put a co2 gas pocket under the bowl periodically and that pocket dissipates into the water flowing by.
there are two fluval systems out there, there is the bell type that comes with the flora, and has a smaller cartridge, and then there is the 88g kit that comes with a ceramic diffuser, and regulator.
the only problems with these two systems is the cost. they get expensive really quick due to the cost of the cartridges.

to the OP, in the DIY part of the forum, you will find a link near the top to a DIY paintball system. The needle valve is really finicky though. I personally use this : http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4531/product.web
the needle valve is not the greatest, but it works well. it turns off at night when attached to a timer, and does not need refilled that often (about every 6 months or so on my 7.8gal fluval flora) the refills are cheap (3.50 at sports authority) and you can get them filled at most sports equipment stores.

Co2 is never a bad thing, even for low light plants. Carbon is essential for proper plant growth. if your light is lower, your plants will grow slower, more light, more demand for co2 and faster growth.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Co2 is never a bad thing, even for low light plants. Carbon is essential for proper plant growth. if your light is lower, your plants will grow slower, more light, more demand for co2 and faster growth.
yup, co2 is good thing. It can be a little overwhelming in the beginning but it's well worth the investment.

Wow!! Someone else in Redding. I thought I was the only one - lol

What would Honey Badger do?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Definitely ditch that system when you're finished with the product you've got on-hand.

Go with DIY champagne yeast or a basic paintball system. Way cheaper (not even in the long run - probably cheaper just to get started) and easier with better results.
I was able to buy an adapter called "Storm 3/8" Male to 1/2" Female Adapter" for $6. It supposedly converts the fluval mini co2 kit so that it can take paintball tanks so that is where i'm headed after this first little bicycle co2 cartridge that it came with dies out.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 AM
drb
Algae Grower

I'm setting up a 6gal EHEIM aquastyle and will be using co2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode