Rousseau's Iwagumi EDGE - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Rousseau's Iwagumi EDGE

I've always been inspired by Henri Rousseau's paintings. This EDGE, my first planted tank, is the result.

Details: MR11 upgrades; black sand and gravel; layer of ADA Aquasoil Multi-type; Yamaya stones; bolbitis heudelotii; ranunculus inundatus; fissidens fontanus; fontinalis antipyretica (willow moss).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	35854  

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	35855  

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	35856  

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	35857  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
looks good! i wonder how it will look when fully grown out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
smooth lines and good composition u need some good fishes in there....
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
he has those endlers in there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 AM
drb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is the middle rock all natural cause it looks like a face. Very nice!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with drb....middle rock looks like a face! Nice job.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
looks good! i wonder how it will look when fully grown out?
Me too. Most of the plants have been in there for less than a week. The fissidens and bolbitis are recovering from their initial browning. The willow moss was mostly brown when I got it, so we'll see what happens.The ranunculus is holding steady. I don't think it will thrive in these conditions, but the patch on the left is already sprouting several new nodes. It would be nice if it continued to spread toward the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphoqueen View Post
smooth lines and good composition u need some good fishes in there....
I'm hoping CPDs will work, but I haven't found anyone else using them in an EDGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post
Is the middle rock all natural cause it looks like a face. Very nice!
Lol. I thought it was just me. I'm glad other people see it too. It is a natural rock, and I only really notice the "face" in pictures.

-Sean

| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
How big is this tank? It's got a great size ratio to it. Love the combination of gravel and finer sand! If it's a smaller tank I'd definitely love to see some Espei Rasboras in there...or maybe some Chili Rasboras...CPDs would look great as well!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. The tank is a Fluval EDGE, and I think it's 6.6 gallons. Is that too small for the Rasboras?

The gravel/sand combination was a happy accident. Originally, I had used the gravel to build up a slope in the back and covered it with the sand. However, the first EDGE I bought cracked on the second day. The sand and gravel got mixed up when I emptied that tank. I put them back in this tank and got a nice instant-erosion effect when I filled it. I can't wait to try it again with some better gravel.

-Sean

| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Looks really nice. Good job! I love the dimensions of these tanks, I just got one myself.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I really like scaping on this one but for some reason the color of the painted portion really bothers me (the orange).

The mixed substrate look front and center of the scape is really cool. If it was accidental mixing that is even more cool.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueenesq View Post
Thanks. The tank is a Fluval EDGE, and I think it's 6.6 gallons. Is that too small for the Rasboras?

The gravel/sand combination was a happy accident. Originally, I had used the gravel to build up a slope in the back and covered it with the sand. However, the first EDGE I bought cracked on the second day. The sand and gravel got mixed up when I emptied that tank. I put them back in this tank and got a nice instant-erosion effect when I filled it. I can't wait to try it again with some better gravel.
The rasboras I recommended are actually very small. Chilis are narrow and grow to about 1.4" while Espeis are a bit taller and and grow to about 1.6". Also, if you wanted something like catfishes in there as well I'd definitely suggest you look into the variety of dwarf corydoras...they're all quite cute and stay small (pygmys get to about 1.2"). Since the tank size is rather small, you should probably stick to nano fishes to keep a good size ratio for the tank.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
cpds would be a very nice choice. They're always so curious to explore their surroundings like blue eyed gertrudes. Both have amazing color once established in their home and fed with live food such as brine shrimp. I know my gertrudes loved it.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I can't say that orange was my first choice, but I got a great deal on it at Petco. I think they have other colors though.

Definitely going to stick with nano fish. I guess that means I'm going to need a brine shrimp hatchery too.

-Sean

| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode