New tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank

Starting a new tank to go on top of my desk. I'm planning on getting the ~3.5gal do!aqua cube glass mini S and using the 27w Archaea clip on light. I also want to use either the Red Sea HOB nano Filter or the Eheim 2211 canister filter. For substrate I plan on using the ADA AquaSoil multi-type. For C02 I want to use the Fluval Mini CO2 system. I sort of want to do an iwagumi style setup with HC, but I don't know what I should put in the tank fauna wise. I was thinking shrimp, but I figured it might be better to go with a low-light moss setup if I do them. Any ideas on some small fish I could throw in here. Maybe some CPD? This is my first planted tank with CO2, so any help is greatly appreciated. Also give me some feedback on the equipment and substrate I mentioned. Does it sound good to ya'll? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Worry about the Fauna later...work on getting the HC to grow. Look into a dry start setup.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
Worry about the Fauna later...work on getting the HC to grow. Look into a dry start setup.
If you do a dsm you'll have plenty of time to decide on fauna

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea I was considering a dry start. I was also thinking about possibly doing HC in the foreground with wisteria as a background plant and using a nice piece of driftwood I have and doing shrimp with that or a betta jungle. Which aquasoil is the best? I'm considering the multi-type or the powder and also do ya'll think Amazonia or Malaya would be best.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Let me know how that goes, I've never used aqua soil before. I want to tho so seeing your progress might convince me. I've used stratum tho n I luv it
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea I'll try and start a journal once I figure out what all I'm going to use. This thing is gonna cost quite a bit more than I planned though, so might make some adjustments to the equipment and stuff. Once I get everything in I'll start the journal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

So you want fish ideas errmmm....Kulhi loaches a handful of them or more.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ight so I'm no longer doing the ADA tank. I found a 10 gal in my attic and I decide I'm gonna just go with that for now. I de-rimmed the top of it earlier, and think I'm gonna leave the bottom rim on, but I don't know. I kinda screwed up a few times on the top, and chipped the glass on a couple of the edges. Will this effect the integrity of the glass and possibly cause a leak? Its mainly on one lip of the glass, so I can turn it around.

For filtration I'm now looking at the Eheim Plus 2215-37. Is this overkill? I read somewhere it is rated for up to a 93 gallon aquarium, but I might have read wrong. Is it even possible to have too much filtration?

Lighting will most likely be the Archaea Clip-on 36W from ADA. Will that be enough light? It says it is good for up to a 12 gallon aquarium, but I guess I'm used to most companies overrating their products and I am a bit apprehensive about taking their word.

I plan on using pressurized CO2 as well, but I don't have the time to go the DIY route, so I was considering the semi-automatic setup from Foster and Smith. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...35&pcatid=9935

Does that seem like a good CO2 system, or should I just go all out and spend $500 on a complete system with better equipment? From the reviews that just seems like a so-so system and I would need to replace the needle-valve and bubble counter.

I'm still probably going to use the AquaSoil Amazonia multi-type for my substrate and I plan on dosing with ferts, but I'll have to look into that more as I haven't researched it at all.

For the layout I plan on an iwagumi style layout with HC for sure, but I'm not sure what else I will add. For fauna I'm hoping to do a school of some tetra, probably neon, since the tank is so small, or maybe some CPD. I might use some cherry shrimp in it too, but I don't know.

Anyways any thoughts or concerns on my plans? I"m still in the planning stages and any help is greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieGee View Post
So you want fish ideas errmmm....Kulhi loaches a handful of them or more.
+2... I bypass the traditional +1 response because Kuhli's are just that damn cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode