Fluval Edge lighting question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fluval Edge lighting question

I am looking to upgrade the lighting on my Fluval Edge. I have sen threads here that have had some pretty good modifications and upgrades for the Edge, but I cannot find anything locally largely because I do not know what to look for. Can someone here point me in the right direction?

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetworks View Post
I am looking to upgrade the lighting on my Fluval Edge. I have sen threads here that have had some pretty good modifications and upgrades for the Edge, but I cannot find anything locally largely because I do not know what to look for. Can someone here point me in the right direction?
MR11s LED Lights,ebay:
[Ebay Link Removed]
look on ebay.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you're going for a high WPG planted tank, Hamilton Beach sells a 27W CFL lamp that you can mod and put in the hood of the Edge. I believe these are available at Home Depot. I was considering doing this until I traded my Edge in for a Finnex 4g.

Returning to the hobby, for the second third time.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
You can also get the MR11s on amazon for a pretty good price. If you go to amazon and search for the fluvial edge, then look at the list of items "frequently purchased with" you will see the exact bulbs you need.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

this looks like a good source for lighting mods as i am also looking to mod my lighting.

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/led-lig...sort=relevence
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks to all of you who replied! I am currently looking into the options posted here, and will post photos of my Edge once it is upgraded.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wetworks,

when I got my Fluval Edge last Christmas, I wanted to upgrade the lighting so I went about the upgrade as quick as I could.

The first thing I did was locate a local lighting company (look for a place that sells to local businesses) to pick up mr16 sockets. The reason for this is so you can utilize both mr16 and mr11 lights (it gives you a lot more options lightbulb-wise).

The install was easy, just a few cuts and a few wire screws and your good to go.

Next step was ordering mr16 led light bulbs from http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...ewCat&catId=52

Make sure to look for bulbs that are NOT open face, the evaporation will destroy open face bulbs really quick. The other option to prevent this is get a small piece of glass cut and simply lay it on top of the Edge's opening.

The final step was purchasing and installing a CFL fixture in the hood on the swing arm. I opted for a 10w Coral Life 50/50 bulb. Individual preferences will dictate, but I didn't want too much light and the blue make a pretty nightlight.

I picked up a simple socket and (grounded) plug from Home depot for about $12 total and simply zip-tied the socket to the swing arm for the lighting. It was a tight fit with the socket I got but it worked great.

Hope you find this helpful and good luck on your lighting mod
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Hagen is also going to start selling MR-11 bulbs (with splash covers) as a retrofit... guess they figured out what everyone was already doing and decided to cash in.

Additionally, the new EDGE that is coming out is going to have a kickass LED lightbar, I pestered Hagen and it was confirmed that the lightbar will be available as a replacement part at some point in the future. See The Official Edge Thread for more info about the new stuff coming available.

Also, the FluvalBlog for pics and such.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post
Hagen is also going to start selling MR-11 bulbs (with splash covers) as a retrofit... guess they figured out what everyone was already doing and decided to cash in.

Additionally, the new EDGE that is coming out is going to have a kickass LED lightbar, I pestered Hagen and it was confirmed that the lightbar will be available as a replacement part at some point in the future. See The Official Edge Thread for more info about the new stuff coming available.

You can also buy the fluval led replacements right now through an online store in the UK. can't remember the name though.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

Found the store that sells them here it is. Kind of pricey though, And not quite the right temperature either. Well I guess it depends on what your going for.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...-bulbs-x2.html

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Planted Member

I have to say that I was having problems fitting both the MR16 led bulbs and the cfl on the swing arm.. I tried the zoomed ultra sun 10w 6500 k bulb but the base is a bit too big for the lid to fit on smoothly. I think I'm going to try building some sort of bracket over the opening and install 2 cfls and maybe some white leds just for extra brightness.

That's just my 2 cents, hope it helps. I have to say though, you really can't go wrong with getting some mr11 or mr16 LEDS off ebay
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdude1234 View Post
Wetworks,

when I got my Fluval Edge last Christmas, I wanted to upgrade the lighting so I went about the upgrade as quick as I could.

The first thing I did was locate a local lighting company (look for a place that sells to local businesses) to pick up mr16 sockets. The reason for this is so you can utilize both mr16 and mr11 lights (it gives you a lot more options lightbulb-wise).

The install was easy, just a few cuts and a few wire screws and your good to go.

Next step was ordering mr16 led light bulbs from http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...ewCat&catId=52

Make sure to look for bulbs that are NOT open face, the evaporation will destroy open face bulbs really quick. The other option to prevent this is get a small piece of glass cut and simply lay it on top of the Edge's opening.

The final step was purchasing and installing a CFL fixture in the hood on the swing arm. I opted for a 10w Coral Life 50/50 bulb. Individual preferences will dictate, but I didn't want too much light and the blue make a pretty nightlight.

I picked up a simple socket and (grounded) plug from Home depot for about $12 total and simply zip-tied the socket to the swing arm for the lighting. It was a tight fit with the socket I got but it worked great.

Hope you find this helpful and good luck on your lighting mod
Thanks for posting your reply. I will be getting the materials to do the CFL this weekend, and will hopefully be able to at least upgrade with the LEDs. I will post my results when I do. Thanks again!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post

Very cool. Thanks for the updated info and the links.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev311 View Post
Found the store that sells them here it is. Kind of pricey though, And not quite the right temperature either. Well I guess it depends on what your going for.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...-bulbs-x2.html

It does not look like these will work for me, but thanks for posting the link.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode