Worms in my nano. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Worms in my nano.

Well when I came this morning to look at my ridiculously algae covered tank I saw very small white worms that seemed to be coming out of the substrate. Any idea what they are? No bigger than a piece of hairgrass and about 1/4 inch long

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe planaria, they're in all my tanks n no problems
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
most likely planaria. they can also be nematodes or some sort of tiny segmented species of worm. planaria are most common.

none are harmful and some fish eat them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you don't like them just cut down the feeding.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't recommend keepingthem in the tank. Works are never a good sign in a tank. Most aquatic worms are parasites.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615649,-88.302792

Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol I don't have anything but plants, no feeding.g

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Nope, worms aren't necessarily a bad thing in a planted tank. Planaria are awful, of course, and can be treated.

But if they're stringy little white things? They're likely nematodes and are essentially harmless - and serve as treats for any critters that will eventually live in the tank.

Worms aren't a bad thing. They're a natural part of your tank's ecosystem.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From my experience, tiny white planaria does occur in my tank during cycling (no fish was introduced yet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
They will eventually go away.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So some folks say planaria are fine and others say they should be removed ... what's the argument/reasonings for both sides of that particular debate?

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not sure, Ive recently noticed some in my tanks but I didn't feel the need to treat it, would be interesting to know a good cause for alarm
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I won't worry about them, just didn't know what they were when I saw them. Thanks

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
So some folks say planaria are fine and others say they should be removed ... what's the argument/reasonings for both sides of that particular debate?
I think planaria should always be removed if you're breeding shrimp. Weaker/older adults and freshly hatched youngins tend to be taken down by them.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are so many different types of planarias.
Tiny ones (hairline size), and there are bigger like leeches size.

Planaria is not a parasite - so they do not pose danger to your fish or shrimp. (Ie they won't get inside their body and suck their bloods dry).

BUT, when you are breeding fish/shrimp, obviously, these worms would love
the eggs/shrimplets/baby fishies. So, if you are breeding, then get rid of them planarias.

I had planaria infestations in my tank during the cycling period both in my 3.5g and 10g. There are no fish in the beginning, so as some people suggested "feed less" does not work, because there is no fish.

But one thing for sure, they all disappear after 3-4 months alongside the detritus worm.

In chronological events:

Week 1: Cycling starts
Week 3: Start to see some tiny white planaria slithering on my wall.
Week 5: Introduced Oto and Danios.
Week 8: Planarias lessen and lessen
Week 9: Detritus Worms start to appear - danios loves to eat them. (They are round with tiny bristles on their bodies).
Week 12: No more worms.

At Week 5, the lessening of the planaria could probably because of danios or otos are eating them, but I can't be sure.....

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

when i bred cherries in my 1 gal bowl, i was feeding it heavily and planaria booms happened frequently. still i had about 30 shrimp fry every few months when my one breeding female would have her eggs hatch. I dont think the planaria effect hardy shrimp that much. I do have SS grade crystal shrimp in that same bowl right now and am seeing a bigger difference in the amount of offspring that live, but then again there are lots of other factors like a hot summer and more sensitive shrimp species.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode