Filtration for ADA 30c - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Filtration for ADA 30c

Hi every one. I just got 3 ADA 30c nano tanks. I believe they are around 8 gallons. Any way originally I was going to use a Toms rapid mini HOB canister filter. Now I am thinking about using an eheim 2211 (the little one). What do you all think? Is the eheim overkill? Also I should note that I will be using lilly pipes with either choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
I use a 2213 for both of my 30c.

|ShrimpTech|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use a 2213 on my 30c and with a prefilter on my intake pipe sometimes I feel like I don't have enough flow. If you dont plan on keeping shrimp or other tiny creatures for which you might need a prefilter you should be fine with the 2211. I wouldn't go with one of those mini canisters if you can afford the eheim.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
2213 is the way to go. Even if you don't keep shrimps then you're probably going planted. Once your tank grows in the plant matter will further reduce your flow. In the beginning you can use the quick release to slow down the flow if its blowing the substrate around.

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
2nd on the 2213. I run the 2213 on my 30c and it works great. I have a inline co2 diffuser and plan on getting an inline sterilizer.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm gonna go with the eheim then.

Also how often do you all replace the Ehfisubstrate in your filters?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
For another opinion, I use a 2211 on my 30c and I feel like it has pretty high flow (no prefilter, no inline CO2, short tubing).

You don't ever have to replace the Ehfisubstrate. Just clean it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
another 2213 here! i have the outlet tap closed 1/2 way because it creates a maelstrom in my 30c if i dont, lol. i had a AquaClear 20 on it to cycle and it was ok but the eheim has way more flow. i'll most likely keep it closed halfway because its a betta tank and dont want the betta to make it feel its living in a constant toilet. haha

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
In case you are looking for a lower cost option, check out the Finnex PX-360 canister filter. It's less than $40 on eBay/Amazon, pumps 95 gallons per hour, and has a half gallon canister that holds a lot of media. The only drawback to this filter is that it can't be more than 2 feet below the tank or it loses flow rate. It is designed to either clip onto the back/side of the tank or sit on the stand next to the tank.

It includes a very nice spraybar that can change from about 4-5" long to about 10" long.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode