Restocking 10 gal! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Restocking 10 gal!

Ok Below I'll post pictures of my tank as it is now, but first let me give you details!

So, about 1-1.5 months ago I redid my tank (some may remember from my black neon having fin issues -- hes fixed now and that stock is living in my 47 now!) and this is what I did:
--replaced old substrate with eco-complete black substrate/fert
--bought new LED for tank (my hood was messed up and it was my bday, nice gift :P)
--threw out dead/dying plants and plants that wouldn't grow that I had for a very long time
--trimmed down my flame moss and took dead leaves off my remaining two plants

So here's the low down on what I'm doing now:
I want some low light plants that will survive well just like the ones I have. I had Java Fern and it grew very fast with the 2x25W spirals I had, and it grew legit out of control. I don't mind the Java Fern, because I attach it to my driftwood, but I want something else that will look good as well.

I forgot the two names for the plants I have now, got them at Petco while back, and would like more for my rummy noses and my soon to be cherry shrimp and some cardinal tetras.

Heres my pics:

These two I need to ID again

Not sure if my moss is very slow acclimating like when I got it, it didn't turn bright green til 2+ months. I have it tied down in 3 spots which I didn't realized looks stupid and limited its grown - I'm going to fix that - and its still a dull green. And yes its flame moss I bought it off aqmagic, some people don't believe me.

So what are your favorite low light plants that will do great? I do a weekly dose of flourish and excel, and do water changes as well. I moniter the perimeters of the water as well to make sure I have no more issues like I had when I redid it.

EDIT:

Was the tank as of 4/10. I redid it 5 months later. The filter was powerful and pushed the moss down so I didnt see the flame look until I fixed it in a less current spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
your tank was cool.

some good low light plants would include christmas moss, i think you will like that one more than flame moss. Since those two swordplants will take over the tank, I would break apart some slate pieces, tie christmas moss on them and lay them all over the substrate to form a moss carpet. it would look great and the swords would shade it from intense light.

I'd do some cories in there once the moss grows out well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea it did look cool, thanks! I do miss the whole amount of plants I had and how well I kept it, but sadly I began lacking because of college and my studies got to the best of me. Then one day I decided "to hell with it" and redid the tank. My boyfriend has a 46 planted, downsized from his 75 gal, and I told him I'll give him my two plants if I can't keep them alive as well as I did. I'm also considering giving him my moss, all of his died in the transition.

I do like the xmas moss! I tried to find some and had no luck! Thats why I settled with the flame =/. So if I get the xmas moss I will def keep the swords. I also wanted to find some cooler branches if I give my boyfriend my branch so my moss will stay on it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Would fissidens work well?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
thats a delicate moss. prone to getting some algae especially if its in a new tank and in direct light. you could try it and see what you can get.

I think I may have Christmas moss, and when I get enough extra of it, I could send you some if you still need it at that time. I am growing it in a small cherry shrimp tank, a crystal red shrimp bowl, and in some other vessels with water. just PM me so that I do not forget about it haha!

Last edited by Newman; 10-01-2011 at 02:12 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

haha ok thanks your awesome!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode