Nano Plant List ... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Nano Plant List ...

... can we has? Please?

Sort of like the nano fish thread - but with plants that are best suited for nano to micro tanks?

Well okay maybe not as intense as the nanofish list - but just a good place for newbies to have a starting place when it comes to plants that do the best in the smaller tanks?

Or is that just a pointless kind of thread to have? Or does it exist already? lol

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think that is a good idea.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So like I would imagine ...

Anubias nana petite

... would be a good suggestion!

Would we want to have two classes?

Class 1: plants with a max height of say 7 inches (no trimming required to reduce height)
Class 2: plants that will require trimming to control height

Hm. Not sure what would be best - but obviously some plants will never need to really worry overmuch about growing 'too tall" to stay in scale or under water, and those that want plants to extend and continue to grow outside of the water wouldn't want to plant ones that will never get higher than like 2-3 inches tall.

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Probably anything listed as a foreground candidate would be a good option.

While we're on the subject, exactly what is a nano tank?

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I consider a nano to be 5 or 6 gallons or less but I guess there is always room to go a little higher ans still call it a nano.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I consider a nano to be 5 or 6 gallons or less but I guess there is always room to go a little higher ans still call it a nano.
I thought it was 30 gallons or less. That's what it usually is in reefs...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

The reason I ask is that I see some 10g tanks listed on this subforum. I have a 10g halfmoon tank which I'd never thought of as a nano; it's roughly 16" from the substrate to the light, so some traditional background plants are possible there.

Guess it really blurs the line between nano and standard.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

nano could be 30 gals or less. in reefs it can even be stuff below 100gals-its up to the person. for example stuff below 5 gals is considered pico lol.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Moss

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
nano could be 30 gals or less. in reefs it can even be stuff below 100gals-its up to the person. for example stuff below 5 gals is considered pico lol.
The problem with that definition is that nano plants could then be virtually everything except jungle vals, some swords, and nymphaea.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
IMO nano is anything smaller than (and NOT including) 10 gallons. But there really is no set definition...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would term a nano to be 8 gallons or less. I consider a 10 gallon to be a regular sized tank.

And I own two 100 gallon tanks - so it's not like I'm not familiar with tanks on the larger end of things, but 10 gallons has been a standard size since I was like in single digits. It wasn't considered tiny then so I just can't see it being considered tiny now.

But that's JMO.

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Is there a consensus on < 10g?

If so, who wants to start collating the data?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any consensus on what a pico tank is? I have a 4g which is 'labeled' as a pico.

Returning to the hobby, for the second third time.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think at least from a "miniature scale" in regard to plant growth ... for the sake of maybe developing some sort of a classification system, that less than 10 gallon as a nano is a good line to draw.

The reality is, if someone is playing with a 30 gallon - they can call it nano til the cows come home, but they can handle most plants for a while before having to trim them - with a few exceptions - whereas when you are dealing with anything smaller than a 10 gallon, your literal "ceiling" is going to be much much much lower, and trimming less of a demand in terms of space and scale, is my thought.

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode