Finnex 4g Deluxe Iwagumi Tank Journal (Pics 10/19) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Finnex 4g Deluxe Iwagumi Tank Journal (Pics 10/19)

So after an extremely one-sided poll (27-1) in favour of the Finnex 4g over the Fluval Edge, I did the needful: I returned the Edge to PETCO and got myself a Finnex 4g Deluxe (i.e. the one with the Finnex PX-360 canister filter included). So a major hat-tip to all of you who voted and helped this TPT-er out.

I got myself fluorite black gravel, which looks absolutely spectacular. Fellow planted tank enthusiast dtsuyuki was the source this very handsome collection Iwagumi style Seiryu stone.

Sadly I will have to dismantle this tank by the beginning of December since I'll be out of town for 3 weeks, so I didn't spend too much time with the layout. I spent about an hour playing with a few of the stones and this is what I got. (I'll try and take another picture during the day so the lighting is a little better)

Though I probably won't have time to rescape this I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'm relatively new to Iwagumi as a style and it would be great to have any input on it. And the reason I won't have too much time is that I went ahead and bought this from PetSmart.

The plants look good and after tax it came to about $8, which is a pretty good bargain (HT: larcat).

For the time being (i.e. until after I get back and have enough time to invest in the tank) I'll be dosing Flourish and Flourish Excel and not have any CO2. I'll look into investing in some equipment for the CO2 in a few days. Until then let me know what you guys think and I'll keep updating these pages as time goes on!

Returning to the hobby, for the second third time.

Last edited by krishanu; 10-19-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Congrats!!

But, "Sadly I will have to dismantle this tank by the beginning of December since I'll be out of town for 3 weeks"

What's up with that?

Just don't put fish or inverts in, put your lights on a timer, buy two gl. of distilled water and have someone top off the tank every few days. Water change & ferts before you leave.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very nice so far.

And +1 on what DogFish said. I left mine for 10 days with fish in them and someone to feed them and had no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just don't put fish or inverts in, put your lights on a timer, buy two gl. of distilled water and have someone top off the tank every few days. Water change & ferts before you leave.
Well, in addition me being gone for 3 weeks, my aquarium currently sits on cardboard and cinderblocks, which to say the least looks absolutely hideous. I'm planning to DIY a decent looking cabinet over the next few months and move it there.

Quote:
Very nice so far.

And +1 on what DogFish said. I left mine for 10 days with fish in them and someone to feed them and had no problems.
Thanks a lot! And yes, I wasn't planning on putting any livestock in there for now.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishanu View Post
Well, in addition me being gone for 3 weeks, my aquarium currently sits on cardboard and cinderblocks, which to say the least looks absolutely hideous. I'm planning to DIY a decent looking cabinet over the next few months and move it there.

Thanks a lot! And yes, I wasn't planning on putting any livestock in there for now.
Looking forward to the stand build.

On another note, I see you are from Chicago. So am I.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Darn you Finnex. Why you so attractive? Plant this bad boy and let the growth begin! Also, it's only a 4g...even planted and filled I don't think it'll be a PITA to move it. All that shouldn't amount to more than 40-60lbs (filled)....if even. Just make sure you drain it well. No harm in letting the dhg get a nice bit of growth in.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Darn you Finnex. Why you so attractive? Plant this bad boy and let the growth begin! Also, it's only a 4g...even planted and filled I don't think it'll be a PITA to move it. All that shouldn't amount to more than 40-60lbs (filled)....if even. Just make sure you drain it well. No harm in letting the dhg get a nice bit of growth in.
Thanks! Photos will be up very very soon! Just finished planting .

I had a few questions:
1. How quickly should I turn the filter on? Should I let the HG get rooted for a while before turning the filter on, or is it something I can start off right away?

2. I was considering a thermostat for the tank, and it seems that for aquaria this small, most heaters are huge overkill. Is it just best to stick to a tiny Hydor?

3. How quickly should I start dosing? Immediately?

Thanks!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I actually think that DHG works better if you do it dry start method style (you can read up on that here). Many other carpeting plants grow very well using this method as well. Assuming you do the dry start method, you won't have to worry about your filtration or anything for the time being and the beneficial bacteria will develop in your plant roots/substrate. Not to mention your plants will also be grown in enough to filter out excess waste quite well while your filter establishes its own colony.

If you decide to go submerged, you can start dosing from day 1. Also, I'm a huge fan of in-line heaters just because you can hide them and they're quite effective, so a bit of "overkill" never hurt anyone as far as temperature precision is concerned. Also, assuming submerged start again you can start (and should) using the filter from day 1 as well. Just make sure you watch your flow over your DHG and make sure it's not so much that it's blowing substrate or plants around (very gentle swaying is fine...but remember its not going to be well-rooted just yet).

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I actually think that DHG works better if you do it dry start method style
I'd come across DSM, but I wasn't sure how much success people had with starting DHG that way. I was under the impression that the emersed form takes a little getting used to an immersed form. I know for sure that it's a good way to do HC. But I've filled up my tank and have the filter and ferts going!

Quote:
huge fan of in-line heaters just because you can hide them and they're quite effective
I was considering DIYing an inline heater. Something simple with a PVC pipe, a thermostat mounted in an end cap using silicone and two compression fittings. People however recommended using a titanium heater in that case, but it'll turn out to the same price as the Hydor In-line.

Anybody have any experience with the Hagen Elite 25W thermostat heater? (http://www.amazon.com/Elite-6-Inch-T...7189550&sr=8-3)

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I planted my tank yesterday. The DHG from PetSmart was cheap but was a little difficult to plant. Since the roots were in agar, they weren't flat when I separated them into clumps, which made planting a minor PITA. However, I planted them a little deeper than I would have, which should take care of the problem.

So here's the plants separated and ready to go. I actually separated some of the larger bunches into about a total of 50 clumps before planting. The whole thing took about 3 hours to do.

And here's a view of the tank planted. It's dosed with Flourish and Flourish Excel. Here's to hoping it grows quickly!

Last edited by krishanu; 09-29-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Images too big
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishanu View Post
I'd come across DSM, but I wasn't sure how much success people had with starting DHG that way.
DHG is one of the best plant for using the DSM if not the best IME. I started with one pot of E. acicularis (slightly larger version of your E. parvula) and had it filling the entire back half of my tank in 3 weeks using the DSM.

If the plant you end up with is healthy, you won't experience any melting or die off during the transition to submerged conditions. I didn't.

Tony

My

and my

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wow, your tank looks great planted! Nice job with the rock layout.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Wow, your tank looks great planted! Nice job with the rock layout.
Thanks! I'd been lurking around aquatic gardening forums for quite a while before I actually set up my tank. I guess some of other peoples artistic skills rubbed off on me! Now it's just wait and watch!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
DHG is one of the best plant for using the DSM if not the best IME. I started with one pot of E. acicularis (slightly larger version of your E. parvula) and had it filling the entire back half of my tank in 3 weeks using the DSM.

If the plant you end up with is healthy, you won't experience any melting or die off during the transition to submerged conditions. I didn't.
I did not know that. Hopefully my submerged method works out. I was reading that one of the challenges with DSM is when the substrate is heavily landscaped. I know people have tried misting as a solution. Does that work well?

Also, how long do you think before I start seeing growth? And how long would you guess until I get a carpet?

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updates: It's only been 3 days since I planted and I've been dosing Flourish and Flourish Excel. I might be mistaken but my E. parvula already seems to be sending out roots. Some of the stalks are turning brown, but I heard that might happen. I heard that letting DHG take root and then giving it a haircut often helps. Any suggestions?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode