Dan's 10 Gal - Take II - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dan's 10 Gal - Take II

Hi all,

This is my first post on this site, although I browse the "Planted Nano Tanks" forum often. I'm on a different site for aquatics, but I felt the need to join here since there seems to be a lot less focus on saltwater, as my main interest is freshwater. The 10 gallon was the first tank I had bought since I was a child, and I made all the mistakes you would expect from someone new who had not prepared with research. I brought the fish back to the store after an ammo outbreak, and I emptied and cleaned the tank, so I could start fresh at the beginning of September. I just finished cycling the tank and I'm still considering what nano fish I want in this aquarium! I figure I'll make a thread to get some opinions on anything involving this build.

As far as equipment goes:
Filtration: AquaClear 20
Lighting: Two of these crappy bulbs in this crappy hood
Substrate: Eco Complete
Hardscape: One piece of "mopani wood" and one piece of malaysian wood

I would very much like to get better lighting, probably a 20" t5 fixture. Any suggestions would be great; I would like to keep the price under $50. I don't know about the larger piece of wood (mopani), because I feel it takes up too much room in the tank. I am going to my lfs to look for some nice rocks this weekend, so I might replace the wood with decent looking rocks and leave some more space for plants.

I also need help on the plants. I don't know what plants to use. Since this is my first planted tank, I was thinking starter, low-light plants like java fern and mosses (I bet that is so common in tanks for the first try). I would love any suggestions on plants to use and any suggestions on the hardscape. Nothing wrong with criticism, just helps me to improve.

Thank you all,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just picked up some pygmy chain sword tonight at a local pet store that has a miserable selection of livestock. I like the look of this plant, and if I does not do well, I will move it to a different tank, with higher light, and I will try to get some CO2 for it. Anyways, without further ado, here's some pictures:

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
It may take a few weeks to settle in but the chain sword will likely do well.

I got a pot from a friend a few weeks ago and dropped it in a low light, no fert, no CO2 tank and it's growing like crazy. At least 20 plantlets have spread out via runners.

Looks like yours is beginning to send out runners, too. Soon enough you'll have it all over the tank.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sweet! Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

I was wondering if I should use some ferts in my tank like Seachem Flourish? Am I supposed to bury the roots in the substrate for this plant? I'm completely new to plants; in fact, this is the first plant I've ever had. I read a book (The 101 Best Aquarium Plants) and I've done a decent amount of research online.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Algae Grower

Yes! IMO You will want to bury the roots in the substrate. You can bury the entire pot, but I prefer to take the pot off and unwrap as many roots as possible from the foam they pack it with. Some time's it's impossible to do so completely. You may have to cut the pot off. I'd suggest purchasing a small pair of scissors for this, and keep them for aquascaping only. You will have to "deadhead" every now and then and it allows for no cross contamination.

As for ferts, I use Seachem Flourish in my tank and my plants seem very responsive to it. Swords in particular have doubled in size. However if you use Seachem Excel do so with caution, as it tends to melt certain species (my Val's completely were a write off).

Hope this helps

No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
John Ruskin
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
No need for scissors to plant it - just gently scrape the mineral/rock wool from the roots and place it in the substrate.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planted the chain sword tonight; hopefully it will be doing alright. Going to get seachem flourish tomorrow.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
dont get crazy with flourish. if you can, go use that dosing calculator that the Seachem website has. its very useful in figuring out how much and how frequently to dose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bought some Hemianthus Micranthemoides (baby tears) online. Planted each stem separately, but I would like some advice on what to do with this plant. I'm going to order some higher wattage light bulbs tonight, and I'm dosing one thread on the cap of flourish once or twice a week (usually once). All advice is appreciated.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

baby tears are not a carpet plant, just be aware of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does that mean I should spread them more? I'm still new to this, so bear with me, please. I appreciate the help.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

it just means that you wont get the look of a dense, low lying carpet if that is what you are trying to do with them in the foreground...
plant them in the mid ground, as they'll probably grow taller.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
it just means that you wont get the look of a dense, low lying carpet if that is what you are trying to do with them in the foreground...
plant them in the mid ground, as they'll probably grow taller.
Okay, I'll probably replant this weekend. How tall will they get eventually? Obviously, I need to do some more research on them
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are dwarf baby tears different than regular baby tears?

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yes, the dwarf variety is HC, the common carpet plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode