Home Goods 30" x 6" cylinder...Bad idea? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Home Goods 30" x 6" cylinder...Bad idea?

Hi all.

I saw this giant glass cylinder at Home Goods today. Dimensions are about 30" tall and 6" wide.

Glass is about 1/4 inch thick.

Do you think this will explode if it is filled with water? I think it would have a little over 14.5 gallons in it...

And then there would be a bit of ecocomplete, etc.

I have some stem plants in my fluval edge that are driving me insane because they constantly have to be cut back, plus a lot of leftover ecocomplete, a pump and airstone, and even a heater!

Needless to say, it is a much better idea to start another aquarium than to sell off this stuff!

So, famous last words: Is this a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I doubt it will explode, try it.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do it!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lol, I knew you guys would push me in the right (wrong?) direction.

I will think about it a little more...what fish do you think would enjoy being in it? So many little tiny fish like to swim back and forth...

Pea puffers? Otos? Betta? Scarlet badis?

Last edited by tetraontheedge; 09-24-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: dario dario is not scarlet badis...I don't think. Oh, yes it is. Oh well.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

I say do it.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I really want to...the only thing is that I have hardwood floors, and at this very moment I am enduring the fumes of varnish from having the floors in one room replaced after a roommate leaked water all over them (long story--but they were completely ruined). SO...the consequences are particularly strong in my mind at the moment in the event that the thing does crack...and yet...
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i am sure it will hold water, but I have a cylinder that is 8" by 24" and it is a pain to do much with. they are very tall and very little surface area, so as far as fish goes, maybe shrimp would be better for it. your biggest challenge will be the height I would suspect.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It won't crack I bet. Why don't you buy it, fill it and put it in the bathtub for a few days. I'm going to home goods tomorrow, I'll DEF be on the look out for it!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I have a 20inch version that has 3 platies in it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Here's the deal: don't do it unless you're going to share lots of photos with us!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Algae Grower

With those dimensions, it's more like 3.5 gallons (I rounded pi to 3, but still...)

Leah
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, it seems that there will be no stopping this...I am not sure about the 3 gallons thing...it's true I didn't take into account the width of the glass, but I did calculate cubic inches followed by cubic inches to U.S. liquid gallon conversion...anyway, if divine providence has not intervened by prompting someone else to purchase the crazy glass column, it will be me later today.

Surely it is bad luck to point this out, but I can't help noting here as well that someone had a spectacular glass breaking accident in the Home Goods yesterday while I was on the lower level (it wasn't me, I swear!). When I came back upstairs to gaze upon my beloved cylinder, there was a massive cleanup underway. We are talking at least five major glass things of different colors totally shattered all over the floor.

I briefly wondered if the problem of whether to buy the cylinder had already been "taken care of."

But I think we all know that I will be working on my new crazy glass thing shortly.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Planted Member

well that puts a damper on things just keep a look out for that cylinder i was thinking of doing the same thing but with a vase with shrimps in it i just dont know hoe i would get plants to live in it without light
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lol. Fishman, to clarify, the giant cylinder survived. I just thought it was funny that the ultimate "you break it, you buy it" bull in a china shop accident that we all fear finally occurred to some poor person, in the Home Goods.

I have a living room lamp that shines down with a 100w equivalent cfl, so I figure light-wise we're good. Maybe you could try something similar for your cylinder project.

Also, I have a very tall, thin window that doesn't open that has a deep window sill where this thing could fit perfectly, but I'm afraid it will be too cold in the winter...

I must keep meditating on this.

Last edited by tetraontheedge; 09-25-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: respond to lighting idea
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a glass jar that's 10" x 9", round, 2.5 gallons, I've had set up for almost 2 years. It gets ambient light only, from a skylight 20 feet above it and sits in a sun room (5 glass sliding doors). I put in a 3 leaved anubius in it when first set up, that same anubius has over 15 leaves on it 2 years later. Your tank is 3 times as tall, you could go with anubius tied to long pieces of manzanita and not use a light. Just a thought....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode