I've fallen in love! <3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I've fallen in love! <3

So I tend to love things in miniature anyway ... and today when checking out some stores in my area trying to find new suppliers and whatnot ... I couldn't help but notice allllll the tiny display planted tanks for shrimps and tetras and barbs ... and I completely have fallen in LOVE with them.

I am SO going to get one of these tiny tanks for my office to go with my 30 ... but to be honest - I am as low tech as you can get I think and I have NO idea how to adequately filter these tiny tanks so that the plants thrive.

I can't do a hanging light and I noticed there is a huge trend for lidless tanks right now which reminds me of the dutch tanks that were a huge rage in the 70s (that's one fad that I loved and am kinda excited to see has come back with the latest technology!) - but I'm not so sure that would be a great fit for the location.

I'm thinking no bigger than a 5 or 7 gallon tank - but I have no idea what to consider or what would be best for that scale ... is there any place one can learn about these small tanks easily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
You could use a desklamp for the lighting and you could probably use a small filter for filtration. ZooMed 501 is pretty good or eheim 2211 is my brand of choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
The Fluval Ebi is a full kit designed with shrimp in mind and it is 7-8 gallons (I forget the exact volume). The kit runs close to $100 and it is a good looking tank.

You could buy just a small tank (like a regular all glass or aqueon 2.5 or 5 gallon tank) and go the naturally planted tank method route and as long as you have a small bio-load you can do it with no filter at all. Same principle as you see in the planted bowl threads. I haven't moved any of my cherry red shrimp over to my two planted bowls yet but people seem to have great success with them. If you start to get into more demanding shrimp or start putting in fish you run into some challenges and limitations when using no filter and such a small water volume.

You might look into the Finnex Pico Deluxe+ kit. It is a nice looking 4 gallon trimless open-top tank with a nice clip on light and an included small canister filter and runs $70-80. This would give you a lot more filtration than the other options listed. You can also just use a small regular hang on the back power filter on that tank pretty easily I have heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
So I tend to love things in miniature anyway ... and today when checking out some stores in my area trying to find new suppliers and whatnot ... I couldn't help but notice allllll the tiny display planted tanks for shrimps and tetras and barbs ... and I completely have fallen in LOVE with them.

I am SO going to get one of these tiny tanks for my office to go with my 30 ... but to be honest - I am as low tech as you can get I think and I have NO idea how to adequately filter these tiny tanks so that the plants thrive.

I can't do a hanging light and I noticed there is a huge trend for lidless tanks right now which reminds me of the dutch tanks that were a huge rage in the 70s (that's one fad that I loved and am kinda excited to see has come back with the latest technology!) - but I'm not so sure that would be a great fit for the location.

I'm thinking no bigger than a 5 or 7 gallon tank - but I have no idea what to consider or what would be best for that scale ... is there any place one can learn about these small tanks easily?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you are on a budget and want to keep the tank relatively free of ugly accessories on the inside, the ZooMed 501 Nano filter that kcirtappatrick mentioned is around $45 at Petco and does a really decent job of keeping a tank up to 5 gallons clean. If you aren't on a budget, definitely go with the Ehiem...

Also for lighting on a relatively small tank - Fluval makes some really decent 13w 6500k mini lamps that will clip on the back of the tank. Be advised that they require a rimless tank (or a dremel and razor blades to de-rim a portion). They are around $24 apiece all over the internet and do a really decent job. I have 2 of them on my 5 gallon nano and it is pretty flooded with light. Of course, if you go putting 26w of light over a 5 gallon tank you are probably gonna need to do a little co2 or Excel in there as well... might not be exactly what you are looking for. Not the cheapest or easiest of options, but it will grow plants like crazy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can't sleep, having nasty insomnia ugh.

Hmmmm I hadn't thought of smaller .. but now that I think about it - I believe I have a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank that I used to use for babies and my african frogs and salamanders ... and it has the lid and the fluorescent light plus it has an undergravel filter plate ... maybe I could just use that to start with!

I've always had the best luck with my plants when I used an undergravel filter anyways ... and I adore the stabilizing nature of it ... that might work as a starter anyways ... I'm loving the HC (that's the dwarf tears, right?) and that might work well, although I have no idea what type of light is in the thing after all these years ... the tank always had live plants in it but I just never tried to actually employ a sense of design to it at all but so I imagine when I bought the light - it was primarily to help promote plant growth.

I'll have to see if I can dig it out of my garage and see if I still have everything but i'm usually pretty anal about that sort of thing LOL.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post

Well here this is one of the place that you can learn and experiment with others addicted aqua fans.

Having a tank office is really nice but very distracting cause you will spend hours watching it and have to stay late at work.

I would go with Fluval Ebi tank is a perfect choice for you and price. However if you have some extra money to spend, I would go with ADA equipment it's high quality glass, attractive look but they are for serious hobbyist. You won't regret of spending any of your penny for a long term used.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Definitely vote for the Pico Deluxe+ ...holy cow I want like 20 of them now. Darn you for posting that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Definitely vote for the Pico Deluxe+ ...holy cow I want like 20 of them now. Darn you for posting that.
LoL.

If they offered a larger sized one (7-10 gallons) I would have like six.

As it stands I have somehow managed to hold off on buying one for the moment.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really do love the pico deluxe - but although I like the concept of an open tank ... I'm at the same time terrified of them! LOL!

I really like the concept of the clipped lights or hanging lights ... but ... I don't think I could ever manage to actually do one and not continously freak out about them - I have visions of earthquakes sloshing water right out along with fish - to the light falling into the freaking tank and electrocuting everything in it - how you guys manage to not trip on that I have NO idea LOL!

I saw a ADA cube (I think) at the fish store yesterday and I kinda tripped over it - it had a glass lid, but was rimless, and I'd never seen one before and I really liked that look. But that won't work for my office as I want to have it on a shelf that is a part of my desk and I think it's rather narrow - I'll be measuring it on Tuesday when I go to work lol.

My other half has always loved my tanks - but he's always wanted to go to saltwater, and frankly I'm too chicken still ... even though my dream tank is a little rock with a couple of shrimp, maybe a few corals or anemones and a goby and a little shelled crab, salt just really intimidates me for some reason. Just a lot of chemistry and so much can go wrong and I do fall in love with my tanks pretty hard. (I am such a weirdo LOL)

But I had established tanks that were like decades old when he met me, and I was deeply into breeding then too - so he never got to explore the hobby from scratch ... from having an empty tank to deciding what goes into it, and then watching it bloom, but he went with me to a few stores yesterday and kinda liked a few tanks and I kicked around maybe us replacing my 60 gallon that cracked and he was getting that little beginning gleam that I well understand! LOL!

So just going to start small - I have my 30 in my office that's been around for about 10 years now - it's just had no attention really and then a nano specifically for a few shrimp will be good. Then I am sure we will get a nano for home and then .... well I guess we'll see. Nice thing about having them at work - I don't pay for the electricity.

Just went into my garage to actually look and see what tanks I had easy access to (my storage shed can be a pain to get into sometimes lol) and took some pics, and dug out my little 2.5 gallon setup - it's soooo dirty lol, so will have to get her all cleaned up - lots of mineral deposits and dried algae - once my frogs all finally died, I just left it alone and the algae just took it over I guess lol.

But anyways, here it is ...

And then with it all together ...

Should look much better once it isn't all grody! LOL! That *should* be big enough for a little shrimp tank right? I actually think it might only be 2 gallons as opposed to 2.5 though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Um, ignore my out-of-season tablecloth lol, I cleaned the other ones and they are hanging and drying off.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah thats perfect to get a little breeding colony of shrimp. You will like them more than you think.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like that tank! I never see 2.5gals with wood trim, nice

"Ammo" - lavender/cellophane super delta tail male

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yay! I just need to get her all cleaned up then!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wonder if I ought to try for a fully clear lid and maybe a way to raise the light off the tank a little - I've seen clips that are kind of like legs in the stores yesterday - can those be found to add to lights to raise them up higher?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Oh and if you still need filter ideas, I just picked up a 1-3 Tetra internal filter for $10 at Walmart and am pretty happy with it so far. It's not a bad little filter!

"Ammo" - lavender/cellophane super delta tail male

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode