108 watts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
108 watts

I have a hagen glo 48" over my 75g and was wondering if I had enough wattage to grow most all stems and carpet plants. I won't be dosing co2 so I don't want to overdo the lighting. The fixture is suspended 8" above the tank.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump, anyone?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm assuming that you have 2 54w T5-HO bulbs? If so then you'll definitely have enough light for most anything. You may need to raise it up a bit more if you don't want to add CO2.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, what do you think would be the most I could add without going to high?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
Thanks for the reply, what do you think would be the most I could add without going to high?

Do you mean how much more light could you add? Because if that fixture were at the top of the tank that would be as much light as anyone would ever need. If you're not getting CO2 I definitely wouldn't try to get more light.

What plants specifically are you trying to grow? There are really rather few plants that absolutely require high light, and to grow them and not have an algae farm you would need CO2 anyway. What you have is more than adequate for just about anything.

Edit: Re-reading your post, do you mean how much higher could you hang the light? It all depends on the type of plants you want. You could even hang it a foot from the top and still have solid low light which can grow a good variety, although at that point your carpet choices would be more limited.

Joy to the fishes!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just making sure my light could grow stem plants. I will have java fern and what not low light plants but stem plants also and wanted to make sure stems would grow, preferably the ones that need high light to keep color if you know what I mean.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your light can definitely grow a lot of types of stem plants. I have low light and I have several kinds of stem plants growing, so you should be fine.

I don't have any red or pink colored ones, so I can't give you any advice there. But I know that light isn't the only factor; depending on the plant type, there's a number of things that seem to make a difference.

Joy to the fishes!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You would need to have the fixture at least 12" above the rim to not need CO2. You should be able to grow most plants from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good enough for me lol, just had always heard the crap about 2-3 wpg and what not so just making sure. Thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, the 2-3 wpg was an okay guideline back when most lights were T8, but T5HOs are ridiculously more powerful so you need much less watts to provide the same amount of light.

Joy to the fishes!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadelin View Post
Yeah, the 2-3 wpg was an okay guideline back when most lights were T8, but T5HOs are ridiculously more powerful so you need much less watts to provide the same amount of light.
Thanks, that's what I was told but rather be safe than sorry. How about Kelvin rating?? Matter much, I have a 6500k and 18000k

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
Thanks, that's what I was told but rather be safe than sorry. How about Kelvin rating?? Matter much, I have a 6500k and 18000k

Kelvin is just the way the bulb will look and really has no effect on plant growth. Most common Kelvin is around 6700K for plants. I have used that combination before and liked the look it gave..

Overall its a preference..

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

(tore down)

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Kelvin is just the way the bulb will look and really has no effect on plant growth. Most common Kelvin is around 6700K for plants. I have used that combination before and liked the look it gave..

Overall its a preference..
Alright thanks. Guy who sold me fixture said it would add looks so..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode