Poll: Fluval EDGE vs. Finnex 4g Deluxe for a first time nano planted - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Fluval Edge vs. Finnex 4g Deluxe (for a first time planted nano)
Fluval Edge 1 3.57%
Finnex 4g 27 96.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Poll: Fluval EDGE vs. Finnex 4g Deluxe for a first time nano planted

I started this thread to get advice on a Fluval EDGE that I had just bought. But Shadow's comments on the two aquaria got me thinking. Should I hang on to the EDGE or go for the convenience of the Finnex (easier maintenance, aquascaping, better in-built light etc.)?

I'd really appreciate it if you could poll and give me your two cents. I have another 15 days to return the EDGE to PETCO.

Returning to the hobby, for the second third time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Finnex 4g all the way. If you're planning to keep shrimps, check out Fluval Ebi.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Finnex. UNLESS you are going to derim the top of the Edge, then it looks cool.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Geniusdudekiran; 09-14-2011 at 11:22 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
+1 - Finnex Lover here! Unless you de-rim the egde

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i love my finnex i would definitely get one!

Finnex 4g deluxe
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Sitting here watching my HMPK Betta rule his world in his 4g Finnex. The clearity is excellent, I have their HOB and it's got enough power for saltwater. I had to turn the flow down. I do NOT the skinny foam fliter(1/2x2x3", and the silly cartridge with 12 pc of carbon???

I tossed that stuff, cut a pc of 30ppi foam 2 1/2x2x3 1/2" I also made a small pre-fliter out of the same foam for the intake if I decide to add shrimp.

The clip light is pretty impressive.

I also have the Finnex HNA 50w Titanium heater. That is, I believe the 1st gen.? They also have a HMO series with digital LED, and some type of memory fuct.

I got my heaters (bought a 2nd for another tank) from Mike at AquaCave one of our site Sponcers. Do tell them you heard about them here and thank them for being a sponcer.

BTW - Ask him why an Aquarium Supply co. dosen't have an aquarium in their office?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Can I just say I personally think that you might be better off getting a 5.5 gallon?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
i'm even thought about of selling my biocube for a finnex..

-bai

RAOK club #60
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow! I just checked the poll and it's 14-0 to the Finnex. I think that this is a no-brainer. EDGE - you're going back. Hello Finnex! Thank you everybody for your input.

Any opinions on the Deluxe (w/ canister filter) vs. regular (HoB)?

Returning to the hobby, for the second third time.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

I think, it's a bit of a matter of preference.
There are downsides to the Edge. Lighting and access are more problematic.
But having cats in the house, I prefer a fully enclosed tank. I like the look of open tanks, but ended up losing some fish due to infection, when the cats were drinking from it creating bacterial contamination that went unnoticed until caught in the act. Quite a puzzler at first.

I like the look of the Edge, and maintaining it has been very simple. I upgraded to MR-16 LEDs, of course. MR-11 LEDs might do. I would probably change my planting approach, grouping more according to the available light pattern, and starting with smaller, fewer plants giving them a chance to root. But I want to let mine run as is for now.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haralds View Post
I think, it's a bit of a matter of preference.
There are downsides to the Edge. Lighting and access are more problematic.
But having cats in the house, I prefer a fully enclosed tank. I like the look of open tanks, but ended up losing some fish due to infection, when the cats were drinking from it creating bacterial contamination that went unnoticed until caught in the act. Quite a puzzler at first.

I like the look of the Edge, and maintaining it has been very simple. I upgraded to MR-16 LEDs, of course. MR-11 LEDs might do. I would probably change my planting approach, grouping more according to the available light pattern, and starting with smaller, fewer plants giving them a chance to root. But I want to let mine run as is for now.
Yeah, having a fully enclosed top is nice. The lighting pattern in my Edge is terrible though - I replaced for the MR16 LEDs also. The problem is tall plants near the opening get way too much light and grow hair algae easily - while short plants in other parts of the tank don't get nearly enough light. There's no real easy fix unless you want to use all short plants and an Iwagumi layout, which the lighting probably isn't good enough for.

I wish I bought a Finnex - it would have saved me some money as well as having great lighting. You can get plastic clips for a lid on Ebay for the Finnex as well, but you need to get the lid cut at a glass shop.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:12 AM
drb
Algae Grower

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishanu View Post
Wow! I just checked the poll and it's 14-0 to the Finnex. I think that this is a no-brainer. EDGE - you're going back. Hello Finnex! Thank you everybody for your input.

Any opinions on the Deluxe (w/ canister filter) vs. regular (HoB)?
The pico deluxe or whatever it is (with the light and the canister filter) is so darn cheap with the package that it seems sort of crazy not to just get that option.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 to the deluxe

An external canister filter (with media!!!) for 15 more dollars is a steal. Deffinitely get the deluxe.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I know the current fashion is to run a canister filter, but the Finnex HOB has plenty of turn over for such a small volume of water. I have 2+" of MTS w/1/2" sand cap, I'm sure I'm down to 3gl of water.I had to restrict the flow so I would not have a washing machine effect.

I'm sure they we thinking salt water when they designed the HOB. I used 5% auto window tint as a background and you really can't see the lift tube unless you are very close.

The extra money saved NOT upgrading to the canister will buy the Finnex Titanium heater.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode