So today I wandered into one of my LFS with the intention of checking out their livestock, see what cool things they have, just a normal trip (they had an absolutely BEAUTIFUL
, I mean, I stopped to watch it for 15-20 minutes, Zebra Mantis Shrimp. A very unique color pattern compared to a normal Peacock Mantis Shrimp. Wish I had taken photos...
Ended up leaving with some neat goodies!
First off, since I wasn't feeling too good about the current DIY CO2 setup I had been trying, I decided to up the ante just a tad bit and not only make the mixture more intense (I know this means more frequent changes), but also try and employ a small size ceramic/glass diffuser with this setup.
I decided to go with the Mr. Aqua Small diffuser. Unfortunately my dumb ass stepped on the glass J-hook that came with it, so now I just run a fat line of airline tubing up and over the rim of the aquarium.
In order to hopefully pump ample pressure through the ceramic disc, I revamped my DIY system as well as the mix.
I am now running the current setup
~ 2x 2L Club-soda Bottles (w/ DIY bubble counter)
~ 1x Airwhist Check-valve (bubble counter-->valve-->diffuser)
~ 1x Mr. Aqua Small Glass Diffuser
I am running the current mix:
~ 1/2 tsp Red Star Yeast
~ 1/2 tsp Arm-n'-Hammer Pure Baking Soda
~ 2 cups Sugar I Found In Pantry
I will post results as soon as they show.
In addition to this, I decided to up the lighting as well. I was previously running a single 18" F15T8 Zoo Med Tropic Sun, and decided to try and up my watts per gallon from 1wpg to ~2wpg.
What I ended up doing is buying another separate fixture mounted parallel with the existing one, running a 24" F17T8 Zoo Med Flora Sun. The result, if my amateur calculations are correct, is ~2.1wpg, which is around the neighborhood of being a Medium Light setup (what I was aiming for).
Pics in next post!