H20's First Planted Nano - 15G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
H20's First Planted Nano - 15G

TANK HAS BEEN TORN DOWN!!!

If anyone is curious as to the vague reasons why, please refer to my most recent post in this thread.

Trust me when I say, I didn't want to tear this tank down, but the circumstances were working against me.

Last edited by H20; 11-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Aquarium Specs
~ 15 Gallon Glass 2’' x 1'’ x 1.5'’ (L x W x H)

Hardscape // Substrate
~ 2x Small Malaysian Driftwood
~ Bottom level – Eco-Complete Dark (20lbs)
~ Top level – Flourite Dark (10lbs)

Flora
~ 2x Anubis Nana (driftwood)
~ 3x Java Fern Narrowleaf (driftwood)

Fauna
~ 1x Betta * Male * Halfmoon (unknown age)
~ 2x Snails * Nerite & Mystery

Equipment
~ 1x Aquaclear 30 HOB Filter (foam insert, activated carbon insert, Bio-max insert) (DIY Filter Baffle)
~ 1x Fluval M150 Submersible Heater
~ 1x Marina LCD Thermometer

Lighting // CO2 // Ferts
~ 1x Zoo Med Tropic Sun 5500K F15T8 (15W) Fluorescent Light
~ 1x Zoo Med Flora Sun 5000K F17T8 (17W) Fluorescent Light
~ Seachem Flourish Excel (2 mL)

(Working on pressurized CO2 setup)

(UPDATED) 09/30/11

Last edited by H20; 10-01-2011 at 04:58 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

(The flash was on in all three of those pictures, if it would be better to do so without the flash, please let me know)

Has so far been cycling for almost 2 weeks. Nitrites and nitrates are still relatively high...awaiting the end of this week (Week 2) to gather results again from LFS...

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

(The flash was on in all three of those pictures, if it would be better to do so without the flash, please let me know)

Has so far been cycling for almost 2 weeks. Nitrites and nitrates are still relatively high...awaiting the end of this week (Week 2) to gather results again from LFS...
Looks like you're on your way!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Looks like you're on your way!
Thanks! I'm really hoping that the next round (week 2) of water tests show lower levels of nitrite and nitrate (more so nitrite than anything). I'm almost on the brink of donating my Halfmoon Betta (Male) to my LFS until this tank has cycled, I can't stand watching him swim around in his little 1G holding tank. (He's already been in there for 2 weeks)

Also, the water is a bit murky since I just recently (lastnight) re-scaped the driftwood in order to accommodate the plants better, thus stirring up the Flourite Dark just a tad bit.

Comments welcome and encouraged!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Smile Survey Says..........

LFS Test Results for Week 2 of cycling:
-Ammonia: 0 ppm
-Nitrite: 0 ppm
-Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

Looks like it took this tank about 2-2 1/2 weeks to fully cycle.

When I got home, for some odd reason, I could not remember what the LFS told me the pH reading was (I know, I'm dumb). So I went and bought some distilled water (~7 pH) and took out a fresh sample of this tank's water.

Went over to the neighbors and borrowed some test strips (I know they aren't as accurate, but I couldn't keep watching my Siamese fighting fish swim around in a 1G holding tank). In addition to testing these 2 water samples, I also took a water sample of the holding tank as my betta had been swimming around seemingly happily (and I emphasis seemingly) for around 2 weeks while this 15G cycled.

Here are the results:
Distilled Water: ~7.2
1G Holding Tank: ~7.4
15G Cycled Tank: ~7.3

With slight hesitation, but much excitement, I acclimated the betta....

At the time of this post, he will have been inside the 15G cycled tank for around 40 minutes. So far, so good, but time will tell...

And if by tomorrow afternoon time, Derp the Halfmoon Betta is alive and well, I'll post pictures to showcase. Stay tuned!!!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

If memory serves me correctly: siamese fighters are native to small puddles of water even less than a gallon and that's where they feel most comfortable.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
No, actually. They can survive in small puddles of water due to seasonal change, it's true...but that doesn't justify smashing them into a half a gallon bowl. Their native habitat features temperatures around 80 degrees, you can't possibly fit a heater in a tiny bowl. Also, filtration is a key issue.

I'm very against putting bettas in tiny bowls. They get bored in there with nothing to do. My betta loves exploring up and around plants, looking at different things, chasing little organisms.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Current Setup: Post #14

Last edited by H20; 09-20-2011 at 02:53 AM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Smile CO2 is a go!!!

As of this post, my DIY C02 mixture is producing an average of 1 bps. Each little bubble travels through the intake, and an audible noise can be heard as the bubble hits the impeller and almost 'fizzes'.

I decided to order a drop checker kit lasnight. Hopefully that handy piece of equipment will show up on my doorstep in the next 2 weeks.

Derp seems to be doing just fine, so that's good as well.

Hopefully there will be something worth reporting in the upcoming days!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
i would transfer that mix to a gallon.. too much pressure in that 1L or 1.5L could potentially cause a disaster..

i would suggest checking out the swap and shop and the powersellers thread.. it will help you a lot.. most of the stuff there is cheap or at reasonable price..
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamt_01 View Post
i would transfer that mix to a gallon.. too much pressure in that 1L or 1.5L could potentially cause a disaster..

i would suggest checking out the swap and shop and the powersellers thread.. it will help you a lot.. most of the stuff there is cheap or at reasonable price..
Thanks for the heads up.

I got to thinking about it, but it seems as if the mixture has lost a tad bit of it's initial start-up pressure, and now produces at a rate closer to .5 bps (or 1 bubble every ~2 seconds). Suffice to say, I think I'll take the risk this time around, and see how it goes, only due to the decrease in operating pressure.

However, if I notice a sudden increase over the current rate, then I will definitely switch over to a larger container to keep from any potential mishaps.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Updated info! Pics and more info coming soon!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Exclamation

So today I wandered into one of my LFS with the intention of checking out their livestock, see what cool things they have, just a normal trip (they had an absolutely BEAUTIFUL, I mean, I stopped to watch it for 15-20 minutes, Zebra Mantis Shrimp. A very unique color pattern compared to a normal Peacock Mantis Shrimp. Wish I had taken photos...)

Ended up leaving with some neat goodies!

First off, since I wasn't feeling too good about the current DIY CO2 setup I had been trying, I decided to up the ante just a tad bit and not only make the mixture more intense (I know this means more frequent changes), but also try and employ a small size ceramic/glass diffuser with this setup.

I decided to go with the Mr. Aqua Small diffuser. Unfortunately my dumb ass stepped on the glass J-hook that came with it, so now I just run a fat line of airline tubing up and over the rim of the aquarium.

In order to hopefully pump ample pressure through the ceramic disc, I revamped my DIY system as well as the mix.
I am now running the current setup:
~ 2x 2L Club-soda Bottles (w/ DIY bubble counter)
~ 1x Airwhist Check-valve (bubble counter-->valve-->diffuser)
~ 1x Mr. Aqua Small Glass Diffuser

I am running the current mix:
~ 1/2 tsp Red Star Yeast
~ 1/2 tsp Arm-n'-Hammer Pure Baking Soda
~ 2 cups Sugar I Found In Pantry

I will post results as soon as they show.

In addition to this, I decided to up the lighting as well. I was previously running a single 18" F15T8 Zoo Med Tropic Sun, and decided to try and up my watts per gallon from 1wpg to ~2wpg.

What I ended up doing is buying another separate fixture mounted parallel with the existing one, running a 24" F17T8 Zoo Med Flora Sun. The result, if my amateur calculations are correct, is ~2.1wpg, which is around the neighborhood of being a Medium Light setup (what I was aiming for).

Pics in next post!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
H20
Algae Grower

Smile Updated pictures 09/19/11

My assorted ferns...

Glass diffuser...

My silly little Betta HM...

Revamped CO2 system...

(FTS @ Post #1)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode