Fluval spec stocking? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Fluval spec stocking?

Hi everyone! So I got the Fluval spec for my birthday under the excuse of breeding CPOs, but it has evolved a little. So here's the question: is 3 neon tetras, one olive/zebra/whatever I can find nerite snail, and a pair of CPOs be too much? With 50% weekly water changes, of course. Thanks guys.pics to come.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Hi everyone! So I got the Fluval spec for my birthday under the excuse of breeding CPOs, but it has evolved a little. So here's the question: is 3 neon tetras, one olive/zebra/whatever I can find nerite snail, and a pair of CPOs be too much? With 50% weekly water changes, of course. Thanks guys.pics to come.
CPOs look so cool! But, I have a spec and I think it would be overstocked. I think the only thing you could really put in the spec would be Amano and CRS or RCS shrimp, and nerites. You might be able to do a couple fish but they are going to be extremely bored with nowhere to swim.

From Aqadvisor when I plug in 2.5g and 2x CPO:

Quote:
Note: Dwarf Orange Crayfish is capable of killing and eating most smaller bottom dwelling species especially during the night. Be careful when you are selecting other species to go along with this species. They have to be each given their own hiding spots, and the tank must be decorated with that in mind.
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 140% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp. Orange) or get a larger tank.

Last edited by Storm; 09-02-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added info
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
if you do weekly WC you'll be fine....but this is coming from someone who loves overstocking....I think if you have good water discipline, you can do a lot of things that are a little beyond the norm...

ohhh...and happy b-day..!!!

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Thanks Shrimpnmoss!

I religiously keep up with all of my water changes. I have NEVER ever missed one. Except when I went to california for 10 days. But that's it!

So, if I do 50% WC every friday, I should be okay?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Yup, especially if you have plants in there....that'll further lower the bioload....I don't even count inverts into the bioload count....

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I think you have way too much stock planned for your tank. I believe CPOs are territorial and need more space than a Spec provides. I would also not put neons in it. The Spec is less than 8" wide and does not provide much swimming room.

I have a Spec and love the tank, but I only keep a few shrimp in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode