Nano riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nano riparium

Just wondering has anyone ever done a Nano riparium. I have a 5.5gal that I'm going to turn into a home for a Betta and now I really want to make it a riparium. Wondering if it's feasible to do a riparium this small?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I'm sure you could. I'm sure It's going to take some creative engineering on your part to pull it off.

maybe you could fabricate something out of those plastic spice rank selves that one would use on the inside of a kitchen cabinet. Attach it to the back wall of the tank. Use some small plastic cups with holes as planters.

Go for it!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I don't think it would take a whole lot fo creative engineering; you would just want to select plants that would scale right with a smaller tank.

This 11.4G that I had going a while back had real nice plants for a small riparium.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

hydrophyte - I've looked at your own threads and your site. I really like your efforts. I can see setting up a riparium myself. I'll be sure to come looking for advice and supplies.

So I'm interested how might the OP hang his plants in such a small footprint? I have to think your planters are too big? No?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think it would work alright with those planters if you used the right kinds of plants and trimmed them to the right shape. How big is a 5.5G front-to-back?

The riparium planter only sticks out in front about 2.5". With the trellis raft snapper on there it exgtends forward 4.5". For a small setup you could also use it just fine without the raft. The main advantages fo the trellis raft are that with the plants growing on it it helps to hide the planter and you also get more variety of plants by planting on the raft.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well originally I wasn't going to do a riparium but then thought it would be perfect for a Betta. I think the tank is like 16x9x10 and I just have a little spiral CFL bulb. I was planning on just walking around walmart, lowes, and the local plant stores to find things I could use as planters (as opposed to buying them online) and have been searching the web for good plants to use.. was thinking maybe some creeping jenny and some mondo grass, things I could keep under control
Attached Images

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
...The riparium planter only sticks out in front about 2.5"...
I didn't remember that from your web store. I guess pics gave me the impression they were larger.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah they stick out about 2.5" and they are about 3.75" wide. Really you can put lots of different kinds of plants in them. I have grown that mangrove leather fern up to 36"+ tall but the same size planter also works well for the little dwarf Acorus gramineus, which is only about 4" tall.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy View Post
...I was planning on just walking around walmart, lowes, and the local plant stores to find things I could use as planters (as opposed to buying them online) and have been searching the web for good plants to use...
You might want to reconsider and talk to hydrophyte. I've read all his threads on the topic. He has a lot of good thoughts and plant advice in them. Know now the correct size of his planters, you might want to not waste your time searching and look at his planters.

Anyway good luck, I 'll look forward to seeing how you do this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey Hydro, do you order your emersed plants online or are some of these available in local nurseries? Also, could you recommend a place online where you shop for your planters? I'm going to start going through all your riparium threads now to get some ideas.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you look in the Sponsors and Power Sellers sub-forum you will find a number of good sales threads for riparium stuff and you can ask about additional plants and other items that are available.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Planted Member

Here are some photos from a different forum ( http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-vivarium.html), there are some good ideas on the thread.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow that is an amzing project. That guy is highly skilled.

That setup however is more like a vivarium or paludarium and not really a riparium.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Planted Member

I think someone could build a riparium using the same style for the background. After it is painted with silicone it should holed up fine under water.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Wow that is an amzing project. That guy is highly skilled.

That setup however is more like a vivarium or paludarium and not really a riparium.

What if one used that as a center piece then place planters and rafts around it? That would still follow the definition of a riparium, wouldn't it?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode