4 gl Finnex crazy low $$$ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
4 gl Finnex crazy low $$$

I was on Amazon looking at the Nano tanks and found:

FT1202BK-D65: Finnex 4 Gallon Aquarium, 6500k w/ moonlight LED & Filter - BLACK for $48 + $16 S/H

Nothing special, that's pretty much what they are on e-bay. BUT WAIT!!! sign up for their Visa card, get $30 off immediately! So, now it's $35 and being shipped in 3-5days!!

BUT, A Ha you say, they get you with some annual fee?

NO Annual fee!!~!

Of course they are planning on you going head-over-heals in dept. Wether you fall for their fiendish plot is only up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I have heard that if you cancel cards after you get them it will hurt your credit. Sounds like a good deal though.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I have heard that if you cancel cards after you get them it will hurt your credit. Sounds like a good deal though.
Just have to pay it off, and forget you have the card lol.

Great find dogfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not finance expert, I just can't see how if you open a credit line, use it once (to get almost 1/2 of) pay off the debt can do anything except improve your credit rating.

Maybe, for some that have an annual fee this might be a double bonus...LOL

BTW - I have nothing to do with Amazion or VISA. I was just real excited about getting this Finnex, Light & HOB for $35 and thought it might help other members.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
The act of having the the hit on your credit is bad enough especially if you do not need or want an unnecessary credit card. First off you get an inquiry to see if you qualify, if you do then you get a card, if not you just took a hit of 15 points or more that will stick to your credit for months. If you do get the card then now you take another hit because you have a new open credit line. If you do not intend to use this credit line regularly then you may now take another hit because a credit line that has little to no use can also hurt you as well.

Trust me I have been down this road and went through an extensive process to repair my credit and opening unnecessary lines of credit is ill advised.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

demonr6 - I think those are valid points and should be considered.

I typically on have one card and never carry a bal. (anymore). I got a little out of control years ago, got everyone paid off, and won't go in the neighborhood again.

I plan on seeing what other perks are offered before I decided what to do. These days the CC is for PayPal, or Motel if I travel, everything else is ca$h. For me that keeps me on the straight & narrow.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
seems like a lot of trouble for a 30$ discount lol
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
demonr6 - I think those are valid points and should be considered.

I typically on have one card and never carry a bal. (anymore). I got a little out of control years ago, got everyone paid off, and won't go in the neighborhood again.

I plan on seeing what other perks are offered before I decided what to do. These days the CC is for PayPal, or Motel if I travel, everything else is ca$h. For me that keeps me on the straight & narrow.
My honest advice to you, avoid opening new and unnecessary credit lines unless you intend to use the card to build up your credit. If your credit is already good then run from new cards like the plague. Most of the feedback I read is use your credit card(s) on a regular basis and pay them monthly in order to build/maintain your credit score. A dormant card does you no good and can actually hurt your score with the new scoring system so even a small recurring bill you use it for every month then pay it off is better than a dormant card. Closing any account that has a long history is a bad thing too so damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiepSTA View Post
seems like a lot of trouble for a 30$ discount lol
Exactly.. $30 savings in exchange for a 15+ point hit on my credit score and as an added bonus I now have a credit card that will rail me at 18.99 APR... LOL

I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The explanation from my mortgage broker on credit cards is the rating agencies looks at the available credit to debt ratio. If you have over $20k total available credit and don't carry any balances then your credit score will reflect that. If you had a credit card with a $10k limit and you cancelled that then you may see a lower score but a small amount won't hurt it.

If you open that card, just ask for the least amount like $500 limit or something.

From my experience, if you have taken loans (auto, school,etc) out and paid them back then your score will be high assuming you don't have any late payments that would hurt your score. I have opened up credit cards in the past 10 years just for these reasons. I have cancelled them and still have a high credit score. Of course if you're looking to get a house now, you shouldn't open up more credit lines.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Good points by everyone. One thing is obvious it depends on one's financial situation.

I'm in my 50's, payed off student loans on time, own my house, own my car, carry no balance on my CC. Retirement investments are solid. Have bought & paid off a dozen new cars over 20 years.

Now, I'm laid off, working part time. So, getting $30 off a $65 sale is worth the 15 point "hit" as I really won't be making any major purchases until well after my employment status improves.

mach_six - interesting point about credit line to income ratio. I have a $30K/10L cash line on my M/C (12yr old acct.) the Visa gave me $3k. I an interested in learning if I should drop my line totals?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
The Finnex tanks are nice. I dont belive it would be worth the hassel of opening a CC but thats your decision. I'll just stick to the fish tankl.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
As for the deal on the tank, that's solid if you pay it off immediately. I was a regional director for HSBC. The third ( at the time, may be higher now that Citi plunged) largest bank in the world. You will never understand your credit score. It's garbage anyway. I used to take advantage of my near 800 credit scrore and got all kinds of things and paid interest on all of them. Now I am debt free. I don't need credit for anything. When I want a new car I'll pay cash. It was hard to get to this point and at times a little irritating as I get spread thin at times when I make big purchases, but I refuse to get into any of my assets. I have little faith in the future of this country, but that's another topic.

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Good points by everyone. One thing is obvious it depends on one's financial situation.

I'm in my 50's, payed off student loans on time, own my house, own my car, carry no balance on my CC. Retirement investments are solid. Have bought & paid off a dozen new cars over 20 years.

Now, I'm laid off, working part time. So, getting $30 off a $65 sale is worth the 15 point "hit" as I really won't be making any major purchases until well after my employment status improves.

mach_six - interesting point about credit line to income ratio. I have a $30K/10L cash line on my M/C (12yr old acct.) the Visa gave me $3k. I an interested in learning if I should drop my line totals?
It's credit to debt not income.

I know we were told to get rid of credit lines or lower them before applying for a mortgage but what he said seems to be the opposite and actually helps.

I'm guessing it shows the bank that you can manage your finances and is responsible enough to live within your means.

Going by the credit to debt ratio as a positive factor for the credit score then I would leave it alone.

I'm not a financial advisor so take this info with a grain of salt, it was based on what my broker told us during the application process and when he revealed to us our scores.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Anyway since you got a steal on the tank, I'm looking forward to some seriously impressive scape and perhaps a canister upgrade!! What filter come with it?
What are you planning to stock in it?

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode